What to do with a pregnant mare on her 'in' days...

_jetset_

Visit site
The mares and geldings go out on the same field over the winter, so we do alternate days. On the days when Hannah is in, I am not 100% sure what I am going to do with her... She is 7 months in foal now, and can be a pain in the bottom to turn out etc when she stays in for a day (this morning was a perfect example
smile.gif
)

I have a friend who will be turning my two out for me at 11.30am (I can get back for 4pm and don't want them out all day, and YO doesn't want them out for too long as they all start congregating around the gate wanting to come in). So I would like to keep Hannah doing something even on her days off so that she doesn't become a handful, but also so she doesn't lose the plot when she gets out in the field (again like this morning
smile.gif
).

For the past few days I have been taking her in the school with a lunge line and letting her do what she wants. She has been having a trot and a buck to get rid of some steam and then just mooching around. I cannot free lunge her as we are not allowed to do this in the school.

Thanks for your advice x

Tempi

Visit site
id do what you are doing and take her in the school on a lunge line and let her basically do what shes happy with doing and let off a bit of steam at the same time.

Chambon

www.picturetrail.com
I'd keep doing what you are doing, or walk her in hand and let her have a nibble along the way.

Changing the subject slightly, have you received your covering certificate yet? Or have you contacted them? We still haven't got ours yet, and I haven't chased as they are probably busy weaning.... but Im getting to the stage where I really want to have it now!

_jetset_

Visit site
Of course I will... I spoke to the stud where Hannah was inseminated and they said all theirs have gone out now so I should really expect mine asap and it would be acceptable to mither them now over it

no_no_nanette

Visit site
Sounds like you are doing just the right thing, letting her express herself a bit, but in a confined environment! My mare Beth (160 days in foal) who used to be a nightmare to turn out when in season has subsided into a happy mumsy blob, and seems to be well content to shuffle down very slowly to the field with me having one leg in a splint at the moment (torn cartilage in knee). She did try one of her spectacular gallops from the gate the other day, but ran out of steam about halfway down the field!
I'd carry on doing exactly what you are doing, sounds like its working well
smile.gif

TURBOBERT

Visit site
Who is she in foal to and when is her EDD. I have my daughter's mare with us until March. She is due in May and is going back to Northants to foal. She is an Irish half bred. By Rich Rebel out of a Legaun Prince mare. She is in foal to Weston Justice. At least we HOPE she is still in foal. She was when checked in September. She is starting to expend around the belly. How big will her foal be now then?