What to do with four year old now?

PatchyBabyHorse

Visit site
I’ve had my lovely four year old since June. He came from Ireland and I’ve no idea how much he’s done, but he arrived fit.
I’ve got used to him, had a few lessons and taken him to camp (low key and short sessions) and I’m really pleased with him.
I’m now waiting for a new saddle and in the meantime just going for a short hack once a week as my old saddle, whilst not terrible isn’t going to do him any favours long term. I also think all horses need to learn to be ridden intermittently without kicking off.

HOWEVER - he’s getting quite silly as he’s not getting enough work. I don’t mind, but I don’t want him learning to be a pain in the arse spooking and cantering sideways are everything. I can’t blame him though as he’s four and having a week off every time he’s ridden, it’s just pure joy at being out, not real badness.
I’ve another 8 weeks to wait for the saddle. Do I.....

Completely let him down and not work him at all, or

Keep going with once a week wild hacks? Or

Do shorter twice weekly hacks?

He lives out on 11 acres of hill 24/7 so he’s already basically turned away and happy, and I’m not doing any circles or schooling. I don’t have an arena or anyone to help me, which is why I wasn’t initially keen on the absolutely no work option as it will be tricky getting back on in open fields alone...!

Thanks very much for the opinions. And well done if you got that far! :)

TotalMadgeness

Visit site
In hand hacks / hacking with long lines? I did that with my irish youngster while waiting for a suitable saddle... You could school him in hand in a field with obstacles (trec ones). Would keep his mind busy / give him something to learn (whilst keeping him supple!)

spacefaer

Visit site
I'd turn him away - 8 weeks of wild hacks are not going to teach him anything but bad habits. You will find when he comes back into work that he will have matured mentally and physically and be a better horse for it. I bet he'll grow too. If you are worried about getting back on, can you trailer him to an arena or somewhere you feel more secure for the first couple of times?

Wheels

Visit site
Some horses benefit from a break, some benefit from some sort of work. I wouldn't continue riding in a saddle that is not quite right TBH. I would walk out in hand, do groundwork, classical in hand work, a bit of long reining or lunging a few times a week or give him a break if I thought it would suit him.

PatchyBabyHorse

Visit site
I would leave him out and give him a break. In my experience, young horses either need to be in some sort of consistent work routine or are best off turned away otherwise bad habits can form very quickly.

This is what I’m starting to think. I think it was a nice idea to keep him in light work but it’s just not suiting him.
I’ll try once more on Friday and if he’s still daft I’ll just turn him away. I’ll miss riding!! But yes, it’ll do him good I suppose! It’s just sad seeing to topline go and the tummy take over...!

Fanatical

Visit site
This is what I’m starting to think. I think it was a nice idea to keep him in light work but it’s just not suiting him.
I’ll try once more on Friday and if he’s still daft I’ll just turn him away. I’ll miss riding!! But yes, it’ll do him good I suppose! It’s just sad seeing to topline go and the tummy take over...!

You'll be surprised how much good it does him and he will probably come back stronger if anything. He won't lose much top line, especially if still moving about when out 24/7. He could even fill out and make up a bit.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I'd borrow a saddle that fits. I'm not a believer in turning horses away. They grow up whether you do or you don't and it's only the UK, and maybe Ireland(?) that it's customary.

Last edited:

PatchyBabyHorse

Visit site
It may be the badly fitting saddle is causing some of the behaviour?

He’s not being naughty, just desperate to go, and leap etc. More ears pricked and thrilled to be alive and running, rather than naughty. He’s actually never been ‘unhappy’ in the saddle, it’s more that the saddler showed me why it‘s not ideal, and mild sore points. So I just got a new one as I don’t want to store problems up!

PatchyBabyHorse

Visit site
I'd borrow a saddle that fits. I'm not a believer in turning horses away. They grow up whether you do or you don't and it's only the UK, and maybe Ireland(?) that it's customary.!

I wish I could but sadly I can’t find any available to borrow that are better than the one I have.
No I’m not a great fan of turning away either, unless the horse needs it. But this one loves his work.
Hmmm. Will try in a day or two just walking and see how we get on.

Michen

Visit site
I did a solid 2 months, maybe even nearer 3 I can’t remember long reining with Bear. Certainly he wasn’t sat on for 8 weeks. It honestly did him the world of good, for so many factors. I did the same for Boggle as a baby because he was so physically weak although I did ride a little bit amongst it.

rextherobber

Visit site
Can't you buy a secondhand adjustable saddle as a stop gap? My ISH changed shape so often, if I'd had to wait that long for a saddle, it wouldn't have fitted by the time it arrived!

Wheels

Visit site
He’s not being naughty, just desperate to go, and leap etc. More ears pricked and thrilled to be alive and running, rather than naughty. He’s actually never been ‘unhappy’ in the saddle, it’s more that the saddler showed me why it‘s not ideal, and mild sore points. So I just got a new one as I don’t want to store problems up!

Any sore point is too much! Mild sore points turn into not so mild, do you really want your young horse to associate the saddle with being sore?. Dont ride in the saddle, long rein or something else instead. 8 weeks is nothing, it could be a lot worse!

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
I would long line. You can really do a lot on them, and keep your fitness as well! To keep him mentally stimulated you can also do ground work, or even tricks. Mine loved learning to bow, pick up his whip, walk to and line himself up with the mounting block, and more!

TPO

Visit site
I agree with Wheels so whatever option you choose re turning away or keeping in work I'd do it without a saddle.

I'd either turn away or keep in work but as suggested do longreining rather than riding. Also worth looking into some groundwork so that you tire out the brain rather than the body as well as teaching him things for his future.

PatchyBabyHorse

Visit site
I agree with Wheels so whatever option you choose re turning away or keeping in work I'd do it without a saddle.

I'd either turn away or keep in work but as suggested do longreining rather than riding. Also worth looking into some groundwork so that you tire out the brain rather than the body as well as teaching him things for his future.

Yes I think some groundwork definitely won’t hurt. He’s a clever little thing I think!

I’ll have a reassess. We have padded the saddle up - it wasn’t dreadful before but just not spot on. He never complained so it was quite a surprise to find it didn’t fit. I’m glad I went or I’d have been merrily still schooling and jumping with no pads etc..!

He’s very good at long reining so we’ll do some of that

Reactions: TPO

TPO

Visit site
I do totally understand where you are coming from and 8wks with "mild" discomfort might not be the end of the world but it's not worth the risk IMO.

Not even the physical risk that the pain in the pressure points might increase but also the risk of there being negative connotations with the saddle.

8wks feels like a long time but it'll fly in and there is loads you can do with feet on the ground. It also gives the muscles a change to recover from the bruising and it'll mean that your new saddle is going onto a "clean" back.

It's good that you caught it at the early stages. Horses can be so stoic that it's not always helpful!

PatchyBabyHorse

Visit site
I do totally understand where you are coming from and 8wks with "mild" discomfort might not be the end of the world but it's not worth the risk IMO.

Not even the physical risk that the pain in the pressure points might increase but also the risk of there being negative connotations with the saddle.

8wks feels like a long time but it'll fly in and there is loads you can do with feet on the ground. It also gives the muscles a change to recover from the bruising and it'll mean that your new saddle is going onto a "clean" back.

It's good that you caught it at the early stages. Horses can be so stoic that it's not always helpful!

Yes all very true!! Especially about going onto a clean back. Thanks.
Next problem though which I’ve just thought of is....how on EARTH do I take a 4 year old that’s just had 8 weeks off into a saddle fitting and get on him?? ??‍♀️?

TPO

Visit site
Yes all very true!! Especially about going onto a clean back. Thanks.
Next problem though which I’ve just thought of is....how on EARTH do I take a 4 year old that’s just had 8 weeks off into a saddle fitting and get on him?? ??‍♀️?

Ha ha well there is that...

The theory is that all the groundwork will have created a horse that you can just pop on ? nothing to stop hopping in bare back after a couple of weeks of "back rest" (made up technical term ?)

Brownmare

Visit site
I'd borrow a saddle that fits. I'm not a believer in turning horses away. They grow up whether you do or you don't and it's only the UK, and maybe Ireland(?) that it's customary.
I wasn't either until I was forced to turn away my young TB when I got pregnant just after she had done her first 2 BE90s. I was amazed at the difference in her after 6 months off, her attitude was so much more mature and she was so happy to be working again whereas before she could take it or leave it! A couple of niggly problems had also just vanished. So yes, I will always turn away youngsters now, although not for 6 months lol, just a few weeks as and when needed.

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
I've not seen any dramatic changes as noted by others when turning a young horse away. I've seen dramatic changes keeping them in work, as they develop more muscle and start to look like a proper horse. I have seen them lose muscle when being turned away. There is no way, IMO, a horse that is turned away gains/comes back with better muscle than if they were turned out and worked. However, I could see a horse naturally filling out, because if they stop really growing upward, they can usually begin to grow outward. Naturally filling out to become or on the way to becoming a mature horse isn't the same as gaining muscle and/or fitness that work provides.

Maybe if I had a horse that was really blatantly immature, I might consider it again. I can't say it's done here so often. It seems more common for them to live somewhat feral until 3 or 4 then go right into training to be a ridden horse.

However, if I had a life circumstance where basically my only option would be to turn away, I wouldn't lose sleep over it or anything.

Ok, now that I'm finished rambling ? OP, you could long line, ground work, and hand walk, then put the saddle appropriately padded on for 2 short rides before the fitting. Just as a "refresh" and normally I don't condone riding with a so-so saddle, but if it's not a disastrous fit, I might gamble on a short ride or two before my "public debut" ?

Trouper

Visit site
But it's not all about the muscle development at this stage of his life. He is still a baby - mentally and physically (see the bone growth chart!). We have holidays to re-charge and I don't believe horses are any different and I don't believe we pay enough attention to what is going on with them mentally and emotionally - especially after a major life event such as moving homes.

Reactions: TPO

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
But it's not all about the muscle development at this stage of his life. He is still a baby - mentally and physically (see the bone growth chart!). We have holidays to re-charge and I don't believe horses are any different and I don't believe we pay enough attention to what is going on with them mentally and emotionally - especially after a major life event such as moving homes.

I don't really make comparisons between horses and humans often, but I understand your viewpoint.

PatchyBabyHorse

Visit site
I totally support turning away when the horse is in quite an intensive regime. But mine are out on 11 acres 24/7, so he spends much of the week recharging I would think.
Hes already lost topline and got a grass belly as it’s a month since the saddle was ordered. I hate seeing them go to seed like this! Just want my new saddle now ?