What to do with horse on trial?

Skhosu

Visit site
Ok, so we have a lovely little bay mare on trial ( 3days), as a happy hacker and hopefully to do light competing. Has trekked, hunted an dhacked. Otu of work for 6 weeks and has no shoes. We need to make sure she's bombproof and safe, no napping etc. Any rearing, spinning etc and she will go straight back.
So we have planned to walk her out on the roads first with another horse then without. Walk her past the pigs, walk her past scary things in the sandschool, anything else?

airedale

Visit site
don't worry about the no shoes - lots of mine work unshod

make sure you take her to the nearest open grassy space and ensure that the brakes work in canter

then take her back there the next day - and see if she behaves 'knowing' that there is a canter spot there - and if she'll go behind other horse and in front of other horse

walkign is not a good enough test

pottamus

Visit site
Is she still on her current yard or have you moved her for the trial? If she is on her current yard I would be tempted to box her somewhere new for a hack to see how she is on unfamiliar territory.
Also, try to ride her on her own on some busier roads to see how she is with traffic.

Skhosu

Visit site
we have a grassy track I was going to canter along, but not too much as she seriously is not fit! We have her at home, rode her tonight. She had a look around but was very responsive, hacking her out today to see what she's like!