What to do with My Pony?!

3Beasties

Visit site
Sorry this is in NL but haven't had many replies and thought I might get a different view in here!

I've been mulling over what to do with my pony a lot recently but I am struggling to come up with any workable ideas!

A bit of back ground for those who don't know - Section A, 13yo mare who is a bit of a madam on the ground but a fab, fun ride for the right child. She loves to work and will try her hand at anything, be it dressage, jumping (She has the scope to affiliate), hunting or showing, she will try her heart out and will give her all once she has formed a relationship with the rider.

On the ground she can be a bit of a mare, with me she is fine 95% of the time, there are days when I know she is in a mood so tend to avoid her back end/teeth (usually it will just be lots of moody faces and tail swishing!), I'm not actually sure if she would kick/bite me but she likes to warn me off :cool: :rolleyes: I try to be firm but fair with her, she gets praised for being good and I ignore the bad to a degree (if she lifts her leg to me she will get a smack as that is just bloody rude!).

With people she doesn't know she can be rude and marish on the ground and probably would kick but generally she will behave if you put a new rider on her.

Little Jockey rode her for nearly two years and did a bit of everything with her, they had a great relationship and I would say Millie trusted her and treated her the same way she would treat me, ie. still a mare occasionally but generally a nice 'Person' to be around!

When LJ outgrew her I put her up for loan and this is where the problems started. Over a 6 month period she went to two loan homes but was returned both times due to her behaviour on the ground, she started off OK but would soon become a bit of a devil!
(Please bare in mind that both homes where aware she could be a madam and would need a good few months to really settle in and get to know them before she went and could ask for my help at any time, I went up to the second home a couple of times a week to go on outings with them, help with any issues etc. Both homes said she was always better when I was there!).

So she has now been pretty much redundant for the past 6 months and I'm not sure what the next course of action should be. She is the type of pony that shouldn't be sat in the field doing nothing for the rest of her life, apart from the fact she would get bored and fat she is a pony that wants to be doing something (her mood is usually far better after she is worked) and I also hate to see idle ponies sat doing nothing, I think she is to talented to waste.

So what Can I do with her?!

I've toyed with the idea of re-breaking her to drive but in all honesty I'm not feeling very confident about the whole thing and even if I did get her going well I don't know if I would have the time or the help at hand (someone to come out with me every time!) to do much with her. Fast forward to winter and I would say it would be virtually impossible to keep her in work! I did wonder if a driving person would take her on loan, if no children were involved they might be a bit more willing to let her get over her 'settling in period!' but with no guarantee that she could make it as a driving pony I doubt anyone would be interested!

Breeding from her for myself would be a big no-no although if a stud wanted her I would be willing to give it a try (but then a mare with her attitude probably shouldn't be bred from anyway!) so really that idea sucks too!

I did think about advertising for a sharer for her so that I would be 'around' when they came to ride her, a contribution towards costs and help with some stable chores would mean she could stay here for the Winter but I'm not sure I would find anyone local enough that would be interested (we live in a remote area and I really think for it to work out the sharer would have to be fairly local!).

Other then me popping out a few kids of my own ;) (Not going to happen any time soon I can assure you!) I really don't know what the best thing to do with her would be!

So any ideas, advice or help would be much appreciated, I am open for any suggestions - Bar shooting her :p

A couple of piccys of the little Madam
CIMG3982-2.jpg

CIMG35632-1.jpg

CIMG5980.jpg

doratheexplorer

Visit site
Aww, bless Millie, its such a shame it didnt work out with the loaners. If I were you i would advertise/speak to your area BSJA and BE junior reps, and see if they have any idea, there may be a realy talented kid who would be willing to share Millie and keep her at yours untill there is a relationship formed, for the oppertunity to compete.

sj_xc_hannah_

Visit site
Go to some junior BS shows and look out for little riders who might want another ride, if you aim it at those kinds of people they'll look past the moodiness for her jumping ability. 128s (which I assume she is?) with a jump like that are hard to come by.

SusieT

Visit site
Looks like fun, what about advertising for a small teenager to loan/share her? Make them and their parents aware of her issues etc. and see how you go? Over about 13, kids are able to be quite aware of how to mind themselves around a stroppy pony.

Jane_Lou

Visit site
I had a "tricky" 11.2h welsh A, she was bought as a companion but my friend borrowed her for her two children, she was perfect on the ground but a bugger to ride! In the end I advertised for a small jockey and found a tiny 11 year old who was very competent and got her going nicely. Once she (finally!) outgrew her she was a reformed pony and is now teaching her 4th child to ride, being a perfect lead rein and 1st ridden pony. I would see if you can find someone to share, I never thought I would find someone small enough and able enough for my pony and she was much smaller than yours!

3Beasties

Visit site
Thanks all, I'm really keen on the idea of her doing BS but realistically I don't think that would be possible until I get a lorry next year (at the moment I have a trailer I can't tow!) so I think that could be the aim for next summer.

Think I will advertise for a sharer/loaner (to stay at my yard) and go from there, I would love another child to have some fun with her as she really is a cracking mare once she 'accepts' you as part of her life!

RS2002 - We are in Herefordshire!

lialls

Visit site
Have you tired contacting our local PCs 3Bs? They might know of someone already in the pony club whos looking for a another/different ride.

What about loaning to a local riding school? Dont know how you would feel about that but thought id mention it. Some ponies really thrive off all the work and attention they get.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
just wanted to say what a fab pony, there must be someone who would be good enough to deal with her. agree with others, pony club or maybe contact british dressage if you think she would do well affiliated, she looks pretty good from the photo on the flat. if she took to driving she would be lovely to show, shes so pretty... good luck with finding the right home fo her:D:D

DuckToller

Visit site
How big is she? From the pics she looks bigger than a typical section A.

I would also try Pony Club - you need a horsey family, one where the parents know what is what, and can deal sensibly with any issues on the ground. Any pony that can jump that big would do well in pony club, and as they saying goes, who cares what she does in her spare time!

There are several children I teach that could do with a pony like that - don't give up on her, you just need the right kid, even if you have to help them out to start with.

If you can't find a loan home that is suitable, how about taking a child under your wing as a sharer? I 'acquired' a child that had ridden at a riding school and who wanted more than going round and round in circles. A friend sent her to me as she knew I had an outgrown pony lurking.

Her mum pays me a nominal amount and they come up and ride, do jobs for me, and sometimes I take them to little local shows and help her with course walking etc. It's quite nice being an 'owner' and I have a lot of fun too. The child wouldn't normally be able to have her own pony due to finances and although they didn't know much to start with they will be able to take him to shows on their own soon (although I bet I will go to watch!). One redundant and tricky pony, one pony mad child = very happy partnership.