What to do with the Stroppy Mare

lisan

pets.webshots.com
As some of you will know, I came off last Tues and broke my leg. Friend from the yard looking after May, all hunky dorey as she was in until the Saturday with a sunburnt nose.

Now it appears NO ONE from the yard can catch her, although Mum and I have had no problem, but its not exactly ideal having to be driven down the the field, and balancing on one leg to clip the leadrope on!!!!!!!

Can't just leave her 24/7 as she needs t/o rugs overnight/crap weather but its been coming sunny during the day, so she needs nose net/suncream.

I really don't want to have her in 24/7 as I don't think that is fair on her.

Mum is not always available to come and help and is not really confident with her anyway, so what the bloomin heck do I do with her now?

I'm going to be in plaster for another 3-5 weeks. she is on her hormonal mare and quiet mix once a day. Occaisionally she plays silly b***gers when I go to bring her in, but I just stand in the middle of the field, she loons round, then gets bored and comes over. Never really had a problem.

Any suggestions????

Edited to add, when she is in and ridden, she has been fab, just doing quiet walk and trot/transition work.

Visit site
Poor you - must be ***** frustrating. Will she not even follow someone with a bowl of feed into a smaller paddock/stable - if that is possible? Perhaps after one or two days of no one being able to get near her she will get fed up and give in........or is that being too hopeful? Hope leg gets better quickly

Niamhy

photobucket.com
I dunno what to suggest really, do u give a token feed when you bring her in? (Even if its just a handfull of feed or something?)

We always have a token feed, and have no probs catching any of ours. Bascially we make sure that the feed is there in the stable when they come in. We do this all year round.

Dunno maybe if she knows there is a bit of food waiting for her, she might come in more easily??

Lucy_Ally

Visit site
Maybe she's just feeling full of herself due to no work, is there no-one who could ride her/exercise her for you as you may find that she settles when she is back doing her job. Spring is always so much worse to handle if she has had time off.

lisan

pets.webshots.com
They have all been down with small feed/carrots, she is so damn quick she can get a bite and still get away!! When we had our routine, I would drive to the field in a morning with tokein feed, she always came over, took rug off, suncreamed etc and that was fine, then in an evening brought her in with a carrot, no probs.

I've taken her off the top spec balancer, but she is feeling full of herself, and is just in quiet walk and trot work with my friend atm.

Triskar

Visit site
Use clicker training - build on her eventually coming over and eventually (she sounds like she's a bright lass, so she'll probably get clicker training easily) you should get her to come in by herself - and willingly.