What to do with topsoil from arena build?

kit279

Visit site
Our arena build started today (yay!) and we are going to have a fair bit of topsoil (about 200 tonnes) from the groundworks. We can landscape it into our fields if need be but I wondered if there is anyone who would actually want it as I remember when we renovated our last house that buying topsoil was pretty expensive.

Any advice as to what to do? They would have to collect it but we would be happy for it to be free.

honetpot

Visit site
If you ask someone to take it away they will probably charge as its waste even though its saleable. I would stock pile it if you have the space, and the wind break idea is good and advertise it for sale.
We have just filled a hole dug out for a school with the soil and clay from our footings, it saved us a fortune in haulage, we have also stock piled demolition rubble for crushing later.

Goldenstar

Visit site
Make a hill grass over .

It's unlikely to be good enough to use as garden topsoil unless your building the school in a old garden or your field loam is exceptional .

sare_bear

Visit site
HI. Can I ask who you are using for your arena and surface. Can PM if want. Still undecided at the moment. Thanks

TTK

Visit site
Don't make a hill as you can't then top it. Ask your contractor to spread it in your field & reseed for you. I had that done last year and you can't tell where tons of soil went.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
We had our excess topsoil dumped in a convenient hollow at the far end of our top field. It compacts down over time.

I would be wary of spreading it over your grazing land. There is a link between grazing horses on recently disturbed soil and grass sickness.

Foxy O

Visit site
When we have ours done the top soil is going to be used to try and level a section of one of the fields

Magicmillbrook

Visit site
We filled a hollow in the field, the man up the road took a few trailer loads for his garden and the rest is half way to becoming a set of mini cross country steps.