what to do

marmite

Visit site
After cost at livery yard has dramtically gone up fi decided to move neds as she isnt happy paying more money when there is no grass ect.
We found a lovely yard today with 3 available stables for the tribe lush nice grass and plenty of it too will be able to winter them out and everything.
Our dilemma is we want to move them on sunday as she is back at work next week and it would be so much easier all round.
But ive heard around the yard the YO likes you to give 2 weeks notice if your moving yards BUT there is nothing stating this in the rules book we were given when we moved over there.

I think we should just explain as i have that sunday off an so does fi it is easier to move them over then and as we dont have an obligation to give notice i just think we should go for it.

I have nothing against the YO she is a lovely lady but livery costs have shot up and there are rules such as we can only be supplied with hay and shavings on a weekend an we are not allowed to go to the house between certain hours.

She has also uped the price of turning out and bringing in to £1.50 each time and double on weekends and bankholidays,and rugging up has gone to a pound too so if we were away and needed all 3 seeing too it would cost £15 pounds on a normal day for turnout rugging up and bringing in but if it was a saturday or sunday or bank holiday it would be £30.

Personally im happy to say were going on sunday she cant actually do anything as we dont have to give notice i know the right thing to do would be to give 2 weeks notice but with the way prices have gone up it is stupid for the facilities or lack of them we have.

Puppy

Visit site
I thought that you were giving up your part loan.....??

If there's no contract saying you have to give notice then move when you want. Sure you might pi$$ off the current YO, but you've no legal obligation as far as i can tell.

SSM

Visit site
I personally would pay the two weeks notice, you never know if you may need her services again. You can still move them but you have not upset anyone.

marmite

Visit site
I did give it up due to financial reasons and other things but there is another loan sharer now who is riding warlock and jacob so she pays too so fi very kindly offered to put my loan fee down so i could afford to keep him on which suits us because of work commitments not all 3 of us are down at the same time,and depending on which horses we all rode last we just ride a different one everytime which is good for us aswell as the neddies.

So due to the kindness of fi i can keep him on which i was so pleased about it broke my heart having to make the dicision.

marmite

Visit site
TBH alot of other people have moved without notice one person actually moved 4 horses without notice in the space of 2 days so im sure she will befine.

Point is its ok saying i like 2 weeks notice but if you want people to give you notice cover your back and get a contract and get owners to sign it,if your running a professional business you cant expect people to do what you preffere them to do have it in writing.

SSM

Visit site
I do not have a contract with my YO but know that my money every month must contribute to his livelihood and how I would feel if the same thing was done to me. I would think it could be argued that you have entered into a verbal contract of services when you moved the horses onto the yard and started to pay her money. (legal eagles can swoop down on this one!!)

_jetset_

Visit site
It is polite to give a weeks notice and if not pay a weeks rent... After all, it is a business to the YO and she could have looked into filling the stable had you let her know last week.

I would definitely speak to her about it, after all like someone else said, you never know when you might need her again. I do appreciate that the move is one of financial reasons, but you also need to realise that she will be losing out on three stables payment which she has not accounted for.

Please, give her some notice or at least pay the required amount. It is the way it has always been done and only fair to her as a yard owner.

marmite

Visit site
If it was a small livery yard i would be more obliged to want to pay but fact is after we go there is still another 52 horses there who have owners paying livery.

Fact is we have tiny paddocks just got the weight back on jay had some grass through now its gone again and we dont want him loosing weight again its took a long time to get his weight up again.
We need to move him,we have never discussed leaving the yard and no set rules.

marmite

Visit site
Also i only pay my loan money for jay the payment of all 3 of the horses is down to the owner not me.

I am going to get her a thankyou card and some choccys though as she has always been good to the horses and loves jay i think she will be sad to see him go.

marmite

Visit site
ah right wasnt sure if i had explained it correctly earlier.

I think she will be ok with it she knows how worried we have been about him and she does like jay an awful lot so im sure she will understand.

Alot of other liveries are thinking of leaving too due to lack of grazing ect it is too little land and far too many horses.

ihatework

Visit site
If it were me, I would personally give the 2 weeks notice, move the horses on sunday and pay the rent for the remainder.
You are not obliged to do so if you have no contract but for the sake of a few pounds you can leave on good terms and you never know, you may need her (or a friend of hers) help in the future.

henryhorn

www.narramorehorses.blogspot.com
I wonder how you would feel if the yard owner said to you on Saturday evening, "Get out tomorrow all three of you please!"
It really is polite and fair to give at least one week's notice to allow her to try and fill your spaces.
I understand your reasons for moving, and some of the prices sound expensive, but some of the other things need looking at from her point of view.
Having had 15 DIY's there are some rules you have to make for your own sanity.
Most people appear on the yard after work, which is also your mealtime. To get interrupted every few minutes by someone wanting a bale of hay or straw every single night does get irritating, hence her rule no doubt for only at weekends.
We had one woman who called me out to see her horse for lameness every night for two weeks..and every time during a meal, she would see us eating through the window and shout to me to come out.
This will be why she has made such rules, if you didn't you end up with no life of your own!
I would offer to pay a week's rent if you wish to leave on Sunday, otherwise you might find next time you wish to move you are blacklisted, most livery yard owners talk to each other and know who are good payers/trouble makers/untidy people.
try and look at it form her point of view, in her eyes she has done nothing bad to deserve no notice.

marmite

Visit site
again its not me who has to pay it and its more than a few pounds were talking about £140 pounds and as a single parent thats alot of money for fi to be paying aswell as livery at new yard.

marmite

Visit site
Yeah i can see that point but belive me this yard is booed at in york and nobody in the industry would really listen to anything that came from the yard we are at now.
When you tell people what yard you are at they ask you are you mad.

When we told the bloke at the new yard today where we were he said ok so you will want to move soon then.

ihatework

Visit site
Unfortunately if you choose to keep horses then you should expect to have to pay out additional money from time to time.
I'm sorry, but irrespective of the condition of the yard you are leaving, I feel it is polite and right to give some notice.
you have posted a question asking what to do, people have given their opinions. It is up to you/fi if you wish to take them on board.

Helenabbey

Visit site
I know you are saying it is not you as you only loan the horses, but you are asking people's opinion. It seems that most people think this is an unfair action to take and so do I. As someone else said, you wouldnt like it if the YO gave the same notice to you to leave, and if 140 pounds is too much to pay, then its also too much for the yard owner to lose unfairly.

marmite

Visit site
I can see that but why would you leave yourself open to it?

Why not have new liveries sign contracts ect to ensure they cant up and leave?

Onyxia

Visit site
TBH hun, whatever F decides is nothing to do with you.
You pay to share one of her horses and all decisions about their care ect are up to F as their owner so leaving without notice/payment of notice period wont reflect badly on you.

However, I would strongly advise F to move on Sunday and pay for a weeks notice period- even if your current yard has the worst reputation in the world doing the right thing will always reflect well on her for the future.

marmite

Visit site
Yeah i would agree with that i dont have any bad beef with YO im good mates with her daughter.

Its just not a very well run yard too many neds on too little grass as doreys-mum and krissi will tell any of you there is no facilities either.

Our last yard was £60 a week and it had fab grazing [full livery] indoor and outdoor arena,horse walker,full showjumps and xc jumps.

The full livery at currant yard has gone up to £70 a week and if your on 24 hour turn out your basically paying that for them to be in a small paddock with no grass,and to be go looked at once a day to make sure legs are all still attached and thats about it.
The arena is awful and slanted the jumping paddock is full of mole hills.

Onyxia

Visit site
Yes, , current YO does sound like a nice person but if the yard isnt up to scratch then no point in hte horses staying there,and £70 a week for them to be out and checked once a day is a hell of a lot!
Im sure as you are all friends she will understand you wanting to leave and be fine about it, just think its best to offer a good will gesture of 1 weeks pay(even though F doesnt HAVE to pay anything).
Always worth doing the right thing.

Ps, good luck with the move!

marmite

Visit site
should be fine they are easy enough to load ect.........

we need to deffo sort out a meeting with you as keeps going bums up we got some shock bills again this week so im skint again we should deffo have some cash in at end of month though.