what to do??

vickers22

Visit site
in about a year or so im going to go to university, but i cant decide what to do with my special boy!!I could take him with me, but in all honesty it will be too hard to look after him, and unfair on him. I was thinking of three other options.i could;
get a sharer
this would have to basically be all during the week, and most weekends. Although i would come home some weekends, and would probably want to ride in the holidays(which arent very long)
loan him
i could loan him at present yard, or a yard close to mine. That way i could still see him, and perhaps ride him. Yet he wouldnt be 'mine', and he will be so hard to let go!I have had no experience loaning, and dont know what the situation is.
sell him
nnoooooooo!!this is the one i cant come to terms with. I really want to keep on riding, and he is such a gorgeous horse it would break my heart, but this may be for the best.
frown.gif

Sorry its so long but has kept me awake at night thinking what to do. Any advice all is welcome!!

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Don't see any difference with taking your horse to university with you and having a job. You won't be in lectures 9.00-5.00, or even every day so there is absolutely no reason why you will not be able to manage.

I would take the horse.

shellonabeach

Visit site
I had the same dilemma several years ago when I went to uni. My horse was 9 at the time.

I decided to put him on full livery - where his daily needs were taken care of - but he was not ridden. I rode him as a happy hacker weekends when I went home and holidays.

Obviously this is very expensive - I worked in the holidays on the yard to keep the livery cost down and also had a part-time job at uni in term time.

I'll be honest and say my riding and horses schooling went downhill but our hacking improved and we enjoyed ourselves!!

vickers22

Visit site
he really deserves to be ridden, as he adores jumping and competing. He would be wasted if not ridden. Also yes, full livery is extremely expensive!!I would love to do that if i could, but as at the moment my parents are paying, i dont think they would pay for full livery
frown.gif

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
he really deserves to be ridden, as he adores jumping and competing

[/ QUOTE ]
Uni won't prevent you from doing any of this.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
really?I thought id have too much work as i want to be a vet...

[/ QUOTE ]
Ahh, you didn't say you were going to veterinary college.

In that case, I suppose you may have to re-think. However, if you pm Star she can tell you how she did it. She qualified toward the end of last year.