What to do?

noodle_

Visit site
I have a 14.2 rising 4 year old.....however...rising 4 in november... so technically 3.5

she has been backed, and started schooling done really well - we can trot pathetically unbalanced [as expected] but god love her she tries...on both reins, turns, stops and more recently gone wayyy more forward thanks to spring grass which is fab...very genuine pony.

I did want to ride her on over summer/hacking/establish the walk/trot/canter and do a comp in winter then turn her away [dressage btw]

However she has really shot up....shes really bum high and im thinking its not a great idea to carry on? I am fine with just hacking and no schooling but her butt is like 15hh and her withers are 14.2...

Im happy to give her summer off, let her grow and winter [when if im honest im more inclined to ride anyhow, bring her back in work especially as shes in a little more] re-back her and school her sort of sept/october time? I have some holidays then so i could easily have a month intensive schooling which is all it would take to have her ready to go so to speak.

My friends [poss rightly] think im nuts for even considering giving her time off but i was fully intending to only have her broken in NEXt year anyhow....

thoughts please?? to hack/lunge once a week... or leave her to grow for 6 months?

yikes sorry long.. but i want unbiased opinions....

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
if she is bum high then I would leave her to grow, you have done the basics so she should be fine when you restart her. they quite often benefit mentally from time off and come back better than before..

noodle_

Visit site
shes really bum high...not even a little - im rather hoping it sprouts up a little truth be told so also back of my mind i dont want to risk stunting her growth as ive heard that from someone once too.

be positive

Visit site
I think if you decide to turn away, which probably makes most sense, then leave her alone and don't try doing something once a week, they don't tend to forget just get a little rusty but by trying to do a little if things don't go well or something happens then you are in a more tricky situation as you do not want to end on a bad note or let something escalate and end up doing more than you planned or having to do something more frequently in which case they may just have stayed in work in the first place.

noodle_

Visit site
I think if you decide to turn away, which probably makes most sense, then leave her alone and don't try doing something once a week, they don't tend to forget just get a little rusty but by trying to do a little if things don't go well or something happens then you are in a more tricky situation as you do not want to end on a bad note or let something escalate and end up doing more than you planned or having to do something more frequently in which case they may just have stayed in work in the first place.

very good advice - thank you

She also needs a new saddle... as the one i have needs re-fitting - hence why this has all come about... its new saddle now [adjustable] from a saddler or turn her away then re-asess in 6 months... shes changed a lot in a few short months, obviously one being shot up..

just seems a shame being summer and not riding but thats only as shes 6 months behind everything else :]

Queenbee

Visit site
In my book (however frustrating) bum high = turn away. She could catch up very fast your you could be twiddling your thumbs for the summer, but it's best for her.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
I would carry on riding, but I do hardly any school work with a youngster initially, doing most of my schooling on hacks. I would just do light hacks two or three times a week, not fast work, just relaxed hacks that keep her ticking over without doing harm, and let her get used to ridden work not being stressful and in the school..

Nessa4

Visit site
FWIW I'd leave her untin she is a bit more level - apart from anything else she'll have enough trouble balancing herself, let alone carrying a rider. We are hoping to back my lad at the end of July/beginning of August, but only if he remains level (he's15.3 at both ends ATM, turned 3 last wednesday) if he's bum high again we will leave it till he catches up.

Peregrine Falcon

Looking forward to drier days
Visit site
I'd leave her a while if she were mine.

I have a NF who turns properly 4 next month. She's a bit light at the moment and is slightly bum high. She's been shown in-hand so well handled and I've recently started some groundwork and bitted her. She's loving going out for walks but I'm going to leave backing her til she's come up in front. I'm in no rush, I bred her and she's for keeps so whats a few months? She's also long backed so I want to make sure she is strong enough to carry a rider. (It also gives me more time to lose the weight!) I've leant across her and my son who's 6 has sat on her. I've had a physio out to check her over and the dentist is coming next month too.

Mike007

Visit site
Depends on if you are a light weight rider or not, if you are , continue with casual hacking, nothing strenuous. If you are more chunky, turn away to mature a bit. Its swings and roundabouts, both have benefits,but you have to consider "the art of the possible"

Wheels

Visit site
I'm another who would turn away. My horse had a growth spurt towards the end of last summer, I turned away until January this year and when I started working with him again he really hadn't forgotten anything

noodle_

Visit site
Cheers,

Am leaning towards turning away

I will post a picture later for anyone who wants to see, just so I'm definitely not seeing things :)