What to do

Esmae

Visit site
Do I finally stop riding or not? I'm over 60, horse is 23 yr old Arab. Fit and well and up for it. I've had him a very long time and whatever I decide he will stay here with me so no pressure there. Thing is, I really can't feel any enthusiasm anymore. I could hack out but would rather do it with some ridden company. Hacking buddies have proved a bit flaky, in that they're right there if they want something but not interested if I want to ride out. It's easier to go alone all in all, but what for? I really feel too old to compete anymore although my chap would if I asked him to. It seems a lot of expense in shoes for a couple of hacks a week and no he won't go barefoot, he'd be hopping in 30 seconds. I feel conflicted.

JillA

Visit site
I just took the decision to retire my horse but that's a bit different - he doesn't hack out and he is so wide if I don't ride him at least 3 times a week he hurts my hips. If you aren't enjoying it what's the point - I'm quite happy pottering around feeding and stuff, and I am beginning to find if I can get someone else to do him and his field mate I can have a life, holidays, days out and stuff.
You don't have to decide one thing or another - why not turn him away for a holiday and see how you feel? (I know what you mean about hacking buddies BTW!)

MissGee

Visit site
Do I finally stop riding or not? I'm over 60, horse is 23 yr old Arab. Fit and well and up for it. I've had him a very long time and whatever I decide he will stay here with me so no pressure there. Thing is, I really can't feel any enthusiasm anymore. I could hack out but would rather do it with some ridden company. Hacking buddies have proved a bit flaky, in that they're right there if they want something but not interested if I want to ride out. It's easier to go alone all in all, but what for? I really feel too old to compete anymore although my chap would if I asked him to. It seems a lot of expense in shoes for a couple of hacks a week and no he won't go barefoot, he'd be hopping in 30 seconds. I feel conflicted.

Sadly only you can reach this decision.... why don't you just give yourself a break for a few months and see if you miss it? That might just give you your answer :)

Visit site
Plenty of people your age still compete! Look at the Whittakers!

Veteran showing is a nice easy day out with both inhand and ridden classes where scars and blemishes aren't taken into consideration. You don't need to be a member of any society to do it either.

You could pop round a few local shows see if you pick up the bug or as others have said you could plan a few months complete down time and see how you feel after.

meleeka

Visit site
I’m in the same position but I’m a lot younger than you. My horse had four years off due to injury and if I’m honest I didn’t really miss riding until this year. I think it’s because I know times running out for him to be working and he’s such a star it feels like such a waste. I was aiming to get him fit with in hand work before I started riding again, but with no facilities I had even less enthusiasm for that. I’ve decided to just do what I fancy doing. He’s the sort that can go out once a week and be good as gold so that’s what I’m doing. We have kept rides to 5 mins as we are both unfit, but I’m starting to enjoy him again now there’s no pressure. I don’t have anyone to ride with as my only hacking friend works full time and tbh because he’s it used to company our he can be less than perfect which afrects my nerves, so it’s easier to be alone.

It’s supposed to be fun. Perhaps give yourself a few weeks to decide whether to take shoes off and see how you feel.

antigone

Visit site
I am wondering the same thing. I am nearly 60 and I lost my wonderful gelding just over two years ago. I probably should have just left it there but because of the circumstances in which I lost him I felt kind of robbed and (partly because of my age) I wanted to have another one before it was too late. Anyway, I bought a little cob mare and much as I love her my enthusiasm for riding is dwindling.

Lots of reasons - hacking partners (I so agree with you there), increasing size of farm traffic (and they are all contractors now so they don't know us or stop for a chat), cyclists who behave without any consideration, loss of off road routes (permissive and the shoot has taken over) have all contributed. Also I have no local instructors that share my ethics on how you should work with horses (I am a bit of a non smacking mother) so I don't have lessons anymore.

I have never been much of a competitor and have no transport of my own so in hand showing is also out of the window (besides her tail is orange and if I am honest she is a bit of an also ran conformation wise). However, my mare doesn't have a great work ethic and we still do lots of things together so she is happy as long as she gets lots of attention. I'm just not that bothered about riding her anymore.

Would your horse be happy if you didn't ride out any more? Are there other things you like to do together? We have started clicker training and we both love it and our relationship has deepened as a result. If the perfect hacking partner turned up would you feel differently? I think I would which is why I am dithering.

As JillA has pointed out there are other things in life so why not have a break for a few weeks and see how you and your horse feel?

Sorry not much help but at least I have got it all off my chest!

Esmae

Visit site
Lots of reasons - hacking partners (I so agree with you there), increasing size of farm traffic (and they are all contractors now so they don't know us or stop for a chat), cyclists who behave without any consideration, loss of off road routes (permissive and the shoot has taken over) have all contributed.

Your reasons are practically the same as mine. Particularly the loss of off road routes. It gets boring doing the same few routes all the time. He's not the best with big traffic either so it would be preferable to stay out of the way of the larger stuff. We both cope but it can be not much fun. I really laughed at EKW's analogy of the Whittakers!!! They had far more talent than I ever did so no hope of my improvement now! I don't think they need to worry about us LOL ! I have had a bit of time off and frankly I don't feel that I want to jump on board again right now. I think the conflict is the old story of use it or lose it, but I sort of don't want to stop but the fact that I can't get enthusiastic is depressing me because I never, in all my life, thought I'd feel that way about riding my horse. I love the old boy to absolute distraction, quirks and all. I'm generally not one who gets muddled but I am feeling it now. Thank you for the support and good ideas, I will give them some thought.

yhanni

Visit site
Do you have other ways of keeping fit? I am 60 and had a long spell not riding which culminated in a huge loss of confidence, fitness and energy! My horse is only 9 and he is the light of my life so I intend to ride him both to keep myself fit and keep him entertained although I have no great aspirations. I have really arthritic knees which limit other activities but don't hurt whilst I am riding. It's hard to get going again if you stop for any length of time!

Goldenstar

Visit site
I have always said i won’t ride much past sixty .
It’s really up to you I go to the odd competition atm but really I can’t be bothered to go much .
It’s a shame you have not got a good hacking friend would it make a huge evendifference if you had ? If so it might be worth investing some time into trying to find someone you don’t already know .
If you feel like stopping riding stop there’s no need to keep going and my observation is we need to listern to ourselves as keeping going past that point often ends badly .
You can get a great deal of pleasure enjoying looking after you old horse and giving him a great retirement .
Good luck with the next stage of horse ownership .

southerncomfort

Visit site
Have you thought about having a go at horse agility? You can do it in hand if you're not really in to riding but it will help keep both of you fit and probably give you a wider social group too. Agility people tend to be very friendly in my experience!