What to expect- hospital stay

seabiscuit

Visit site
So Forrest is going to Liphook tomorrow morning for a body scan- scintagraphy (sp?). It says on the letter that they sent me that after the scan he will be radioactive for 3-5 days and thus will not be mucked out or allowed out of hospital. So I assume that this means that he will not be handled or touched for a few days??. So how would they feed him and rug him? Do they have some sort of chute to throw food down?Will there be a automatic water drinker? & I guess that I will have to forget about him being rugged up at night?

Sorry pointless questions-just wondering if anyone knows about this as I would like to put my mind at rest! But he will at least be allowed to have food won't he?!
blush.gif
I worry about my boy! He has been through such hell this year- so am praying that this scan won't be too much of a nightmare for him?

Lynz25

Visit site
Mine went for a radioactive scan in August and he couldn't be picked up for 30 hrs after injection. They asked if he had any rugs and what feed he had. I believe people can go in with them as they have people around them when they are scanned. However they have to wear protective clothing.

Don't worry I'm sure your horse will be well looked after, the grroms at these places are very good. When mine went for his operation I gave them a body brush along with the rest of his stuff and he came back with such a sparkle that they had obviously given him lots of attention

seaofdreams

Visit site
Lottie had a scan at liphook they were great with her, it was a couple of years back now so can't remember all the details but she was fine and looked after very well (although outcome wasn't great)
hope all goes well, don't worry they will look after him
Hx

burtie

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Don't worry I'm sure your horse will be well looked after, the grroms at these places are very good. When mine went for his operation I gave them a body brush along with the rest of his stuff and he came back with such a sparkle that they had obviously given him lots of attention

[/ QUOTE ]

Herbie came back from Liphook after a 12 day stay looking shiney silky clean, he looked very smart wilst there and they used their own rugs on him as he didn't have any indoor ones!
shocked.gif

seabiscuit

Visit site
He is really dragging his toes and is lame behind
frown.gif
so am hoping that these scans will shed some light. He is having neck X rays too to check for nerve damage.

How is that lovely lady- are you keeping her now? And is dazzling bay sold?

Happy Horse

community.webshots.com
He will be fine, I worked there for four years! He will be handled, just by nurses in protective clothing, foot protectors/aprons/rubber gloves etc. He will be mucked out into sacks instead of barrows. He will have his own water bucket and food bucket that will be kept seperate from everything else. It is very similar to barrier nursing for contagious disease except he won't be kept too far away from others. He will certainly be rugged up if that is what he is used to.

The nurses are amazing there and you will be kept in touch with everything that is happening with him. I hope it goes well for you both.

seabiscuit

Visit site
Fantasitc-Thank you Happy Horse-super to hear from someone that has actually worked there! Now I can relax and know that my boy is having a nice stay in a 5 star hotel with food and rugs at his disposal...
smile.gif

severnmiles

Visit site
Awww no
frown.gif
poor boy! I hope they show something - that isn't too serious though!

She's a sweetie, tearing round the field at the mo! lol No, he's not even had an offer! I have someone v.interested in her so we'll see what sort of home it is!

seabiscuit

Visit site
I hope she finds a good home! I saw the pic of her that you posted of when she won the supreme champion- she definately looked quite different and a lot more 'on form' there -you can see what presence she has.A bummer she was tired at PAVO!

Pidge

Visit site
Don't panic, Higgs had this at Leahurst for a root tooth infection, and they do go in to them but just keep it very short and sweet. They have special boxes for them out of the way, and there are signs up telling people not to go near as they are radioactive for a couple of days after its done. From what I can remember they skip out very quickly but the horses do not suffer from it as they are still fed, watered, rugged etc, they just don't get any tlc.

seabiscuit

Visit site
OMG if only I had seen your message sooner!! I will have a look out for Joey next time I am there.... Forrest is in box 17 but may be moved once he is radioactive!

Pidge

Visit site
No problem, hope everything goes ok. Just remember to give plenty of tlc when home as he will be feeling a bit neglected.
The scan is fascinating IMO as Higgs had a big swelling on his face but the xrays here and at leahurst didn't show anything, but I knew something was wrong as he was a git being ridden, napping taking me through trees etc anything to go home and have tack off, which was not like him at all. Put him in a hackamore on recommendation of Leahurst and he was a changed horse, so knew there was a problem somewhere. The scan showed that there was more of a blood flow to one tooth which indicated that there was a root tooth infection. Can't remember too much about it as it was in Oct/Nov 2003.