What to feed a poor doer/unridden horse?

Jadejods

Visit site
I am unable to ride for the next 2 months due to an injury.

My horse will be unridden and turned out 8 hours per day then stabled overnight.

He is a 16.1 ID X TB Gelding and he is a poor doer.

What do you suggest i feed him under the present circumstances?

He has already lost weight and condition over the last 2 weeks since the accident.

Any help would be appriciated.

Thanks.

Tempi

Visit site
add lib hay if he'l eat it.........he wont really need hard feed if you wont be working him. Id just make sure he is well rugged so he dosent get cold (as this can make them drop weight) and then give him as much hay as possible so he dosent run out over night, and if you dont have much grass give him hay in the field too.

Petrie

Visit site
Yes, definitely hay or haylage out in the field. The grass has very little goodness in it now, which is fine for good doers, but bad news for poor ones! He might actually drop weight from being out for 8 hours, unless you give him hay out there too.

Feed-wise, if he's going out for 8 hrs a day, then you could still give him some hard feed to keep the weight on. It's not like he's on box rest.

My poor doer (16.1 TB/WB eventer) recently had 6 weeks off due to an injury but was out every day and in at night like yours, so I just cut back his normal feed, I wouldn't change it unless you're giving him something very high powered.

Mine gets A&P Calm and condition nuts, top spec balancer, high fibre chaff and a bit of sugar beet, so I just reduced the quantities and upped his haylage. I also put soya oil in his feed which really helps with condition but is non-heating.

A feed balancer is a useful addition as it has all the vits and mins they need, so you can cut back the hard feed without worring they're not getting what they need.

Good luck!

TGM

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
D&H Convalescence mix is meant for horses on box rest

[/ QUOTE ] It's not the horse who is on box rest - it is the rider! The rider has been injured and so the horse isn't being ridden but is out 8 hours a day and stabled at night.

char3101

Visit site
Personally i agree with Petrie
I wouldn't cut feed out at all, just reduce it.

Although I have found soya oil to be heating with my horses, i use vegatable oil, it keeps his coat conditioned.

What do you feed him on at present?

char3101

Visit site
Also is there anyone who can ride/lunge your horse for you??

If so i really recommend Baileys no4 Conditioning Cubes. I've had two horses before lacking condition and these worked fab.

samp

Visit site
Sorry I should have read it properly. Alfa oil is good product, I would feed a conditioning mix or cooling mix

Agent XXX999

Visit site
Barley rings…they are a lifesaver and good for putting on weight. That or conditioning cubes…the ones like calm and condition, which are non heating….

Low sugar diet with high oil content…

poggio

Visit site
I feed Baileys No. 4 and would continue to feed it even if the horse was having time off... I would agree with continue giving a hard feed just slightly reduce the quantities and up the haylage quite a bit.

If he is a poor doer I would definately look into giving a conditioning feed.

BBs

Visit site
Ad lib hay/haylage - Sugarbeet, feed balancer of sorts i.e. Ultimate Balancer or Nesler Solid Gold (gives him all the vit and mins he requires) plus Hi Fi Original and oil.