What to feed him?

chaps89

Visit site
12.2hh chunky retired pony in his early twenties.
Doesn’t need a feed for feedings sake, just to have his half a sachet of bute each day.
Has had raised liver levels on bloods (bought down with global herbs restore) so is supposed to be on low protein - ie no alfalfa.
Currently gets small handful Allen & page veteran light (only because it was to hand and going spare) with about 1/4 scoop honeychop lite and healthy.
No longer wants to eat this ?
Is it madness to think of getting a sticky mix, the likes I’ve which I’d usually avoid like the plague, and giving him a sprinkle to get him to eat?
I’ve tried him on his field mates molasses free hi-fi which he hoovers up but is obviously alfalfa.
Not sure what is the lesser of two evils, or if there’s something else to try that I’ve not thought about?
He gets such a small amount it’s probably negligible and I’m over-thinking but please indulge me ?
He’s a lot happier when he has his bute so I’d like to get it into him and he’s not very fond of syringes so would rather avoid going down that route.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
i think a handful of hi fi compared to what a horse eats in the course of a day is so small to be negligible. so I'd just give that as you have it available.

Highmileagecob

Visit site
It might be worth having a chat with your vet to see if an alternative NSAID should be considered. My thinking is that if the bute is leaving him feeling unwell, he won't want to eat.....Otherwise, sprinkle his meds on a jam sandwich and see if that helps.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
You are more than welcome to pick up some Pure Easy from mine to try him on?
Little A gets a handful twice a day (less than a tablespoonful) and cheerfully scoffs that, yet turned her nose up at plain hi fi, Top chop Zero etc.

Birker2020

Visit site
Allen & Page do a Veteran Vitality that isn't the light version, its a higher fat version and much more palatable. I've never known a horse not to like it.

Bailey went off the light version and even had the gall to complain to the Horse Whisperer that I'd stopped feeding the full fat variety!

It was something she loved eating but I'd swapped to the light because it was less fattening and after a couple of weeks she said NO! :p:D

Horseysheepy

Visit site
How about Danilon? I've never known a horse not to eat a meal with it in.

Otherwise, I find that most horses would eat anything with a handful of Dodson Pasture mix in it, or dried mint sprinkled on top.

MuddyMonster

Visit site
I was going to suggest Pure Easy too.

My boy is really fussy & only needs a handful of something to get medication & supplements in him.

Pure Easy is the only thing I've found (other than Agrobs but nightmare getting it) he'll eat without any extras added.

chaps89

Visit site
The hifi isn’t mine, so I’d need to buy some :)

He ate it fine originally, then he went off his advance complete supplement so I cut that out (figured the grass is so good he doesn’t really need it anyway), then in the last week or so he’s gone off the restore (his liver levels were back to normal limits so figured he might be self regulating if he feels he doesn’t need it?!) but now not bute either.
He’ll happily eat his field mates breakfast if he’s given half the chance and is otherwise very well and happy in himself so I don’t think it is meds specific?

Dried mint is a good shout and @The Fuzzy Furry if you’re around over the weekend maybe I can pop by for a natter and to pinch some pure easy to try please?