What to look for when viewing an unbroken 3 year old

Laroxes

Visit site
Hi everyone,

I've got a 2nd viewing on an unbroken, 3 yr old tomorrow, he's a blank canvas and has just been shown in hand and walked along in traffic.

I really liked his attitude when I first saw him and he seemed like 'a nice person', but apart from temperament and confirmation is there anything else I should consider / be looking for?

He's 3/4 TB, 1/4 ID to make 15.2hh, my aim would be to compete him up to pre novice eventing.

Thanks guys :)

showingmadfilly

Visit site
Hi everyone,

I've got a 2nd viewing on an unbroken, 3 yr old tomorrow, he's a blank canvas and has just been shown in hand and walked along in traffic.

I really liked his attitude when I first saw him and he seemed like 'a nice person', but apart from temperament and confirmation is there anything else I should consider / be looking for?

He's 3/4 TB, 1/4 ID to make 15.2hh, my aim would be to compete him up to pre novice eventing.

Thanks guys :)

I hope it all works out and he is perfect for you, sounds like your very fond of him.

Laroxes

Visit site
Thank you.

No picture but he's bred by Burnock Unique, I've looked up his siblings on the BE website and they seem to do quite well up to Novice level.

vic07

Visit site
Straight legs, good feet. Athletic big movement...... Or that's the basis I bought a 4yo (unbroken and I handled!)

Laroxes

Visit site
No unfortunately not as there are no facilities, she has offered me a trial period though and i have good facilities at the yard.

pearcider

Visit site
Kind eye
Good feet
Good shoulder
If no facilities get him trotted up. I always think they need to have a good trot with a little spark in the movement
Trust your gut feeling :)!

Charem

Visit site
I think providing he's hasn't got anything blaringly wrong conformation wise, is reasonably straight, looks to be making the desired height and is a nice person you cant go far wrong when looking for a horse for pre novice. He sounds lovely, please post some pictures if (when!) you get him home.

AliceCrail

Visit site
I bought my mare as an unbroken 3 year old, and aside from the obvious - feet, movement, conformation etc, it was gut feeling. She has turned out to be my horse of a lifetime and pretty talented to boot (although I am rather biased!)
Even if you are super experienced with youngsters it is a risk, so good luck and I hope he turns out a star!

asommerville

Visit site
Bought my id x Arab as an unbroken 3 year old, has good feet, is a nice person and lovely movement. No facilities for anything else and would not gave had the opportunity for a trial, I went with my gut and so far he's a star

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
No unfortunately not as there are no facilities, she has offered me a trial period though and i have good facilities at the yard.

Brave (or foolhardy) vendor with an unbroken youngster, I know I wouldn't entertain that sort of thing with mine in case it was returned broken (literally).
Good conformation, lovely temperament, very good walk and an obliging personality for me. Also a decent passport and jabs done is a bonus.

flyingfeet

Visit site
That would set alarm bells ringing unless she knew you!
I would never let a 3 year old trial with unknown quantities, as I don't want a 'broken' or traumatized horse back
However if you bought a 3 year old as a project and it took the piss, you might be pleased to give it on trial to get shot!

popsdosh

Visit site
Brave (or foolhardy) vendor with an unbroken youngster, I know I wouldn't entertain that sort of thing with mine in case it was returned broken (literally).
Good conformation, lovely temperament, very good walk and an obliging personality for me. Also a decent passport and jabs done is a bonus.
Glad I am not the only one!!! who lets a three yo go on that basis needs their bumps reading,why would they let anybody else try loose schooling a nice young horse for it to be chucked back at them.