What to wear riding abroad?

ecb89

Visit site
I’m off on holiday and hopefully will go riding while I’m away, bucket list gallop down a white sandy beach.
I have no idea what shoes to take. Don’t really have room in my suitcase for my riding boots. Would trainers be ok? I haven’t ridden in anything other than riding boots

Skib

sites.google.com
OH and I both had dual purpose Aryat riding boots which we wore for riding and mountain walking in USA. We wore them on the flight. Our helmets were in our hand luggage.

HashRouge

Visit site
I tend to ride in converse if I go on holiday, as they're much narrower than trainers so not likely to get wedged in stirrups. Depending on where you are going you may need to take a riding hat - it's worth checking before you go if at all possible and you know where you are likely to be riding. Unless you are happy riding without. This is based on mine and my sister's experiences riding in quite unusual places though (Nicaragua and Madagascar, for instance). We both went without hats but I know not everyone would.

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
I've taken short boot and half chaps. With socks and underwear stuffed in the boots, they didn't take up any more space than non riding boots. I was riding in South Africa and the half chaps gave my legs (and Jods) some protection when riding through the bush. I took a hat and again as long as you pack with items inside, it doesn't take up much space.

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site
I often wear my Clark's Broyd ankle boots for riding (along with a pair of leather mini-chaps) and also for general everyday wear. I have three pairs of those (two pairs in black, different sizes so I can wear them with thick socks or thin ones, and a pair in brown), then I have a pair of Hardrige boots, quite similar (but almost triple the weight), that I don't wear for riding.

I think that anything like those, or dealer boots, Chelsea boots, paddock boots, with a heel, would be find: you could wear them in the plane comfortably, so they won't take up any space in your luggage

Roxylola

Visit site
I wore trainers and shorts to ride on the beach in Mexico. Western saddles so no pinching, and had my bikini on underneath as we also went swimming with the horses. They had hats you could hire/borrow or whatever. Stirrups all had cages on so no stuck feet.
I just wore a sun hat, personally I'd have been more at risk of fainting under a riding hat than falling off but that was a long time ago and hats have changed a lot so maybe it wouldn't be as bad now

SEL

Visit site
Where are you going OP? If I know for certain I'm riding then I used to take Ariat endurance shirt boots because they are designed for walking and riding.

But I've ridden in normal walking boots & trainers too

Roxylola

Visit site
I’m going to the Dominican Republic. It won’t be ‘proper riding’ more likely a beach ride with the chance of a canter
That's all mexico was, a walk to the beach, gallop for those as wanted, swim as wanted bit of a relax then walk back. We were in a huge group and the horses do the job twice daily, they were beautiful and well looked after but it's not like proper riding I agree

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
I rode on the beach in the Dominican Republic about 20yrs ago. I was the only person that could actually ride and was allowed to go on and gallop. I think I wore t-shirt shorts and trainers.

Whole holiday was fab.

ecb89

Visit site
Thanks everyone. I’m taking a pair of Dublin cool it tights with me. My thighs couldn’t take riding in shorts ?