What tow car?!? Help please...

LizzieWizzie

Visit site
Hi all...

Am looking to buy a car that is capable of towing two big horses (16.2 TB + 15.3 HW Cob) and have been looking at a Jeep Cherokee (the smaller one, NOT the Grand Cherokee). Looks as though the max braked tow capacity is 3350kgs - which is great - though someone has just suggested that they aren't particularly stable and 'if anything will jack-knife this will!'. From my research so far this isn't the impression I get, but wondered if some real people could give me the benefit of their experience please...

I only tow perhaps every other weekend, so need the car to be a useable family car in between - am a single mum with two kids and need to be able to nip to Tescos without the need for a lorry bay to park in! My budget also isn't very big but the Jeep fits nicely into it!

My only concern was the amount of space inside... will the boot fit my black lab and some tack - or would I need to strap my kids to the roof rails to get it all in...? :)

Any advice would be very gratefully received - am looking at one tomorrow hopefully.

Thanks everyone :)

ROG

Visit site
Do you have the B+E on your driving licence?

Seems like a silly question but many often do not realise that this is required

Never heard of any 4x4s that are prone to jack knifing

LizzieWizzie

Visit site
Hi ROG, yes I do have B+E on my licence, have been towing previously (Horses and Caravans) with either my dad's Defender or my friends Kia Sorento. Just need to buy my own vehicle capable of towing and want to make sure I get the right one - plus a mix of family car also...

The jack-knife comment came from a 4x4 dealer who suggested that the short wheel base on the Jeep Cherokee caused problems when towing with them - that it was only their sheer weight that suggested they could tow up to 3350kgs, rather than their actual ability to do so well...

Felt like this was incorrect, but thought I would ask for other peoples views who perhaps had experience towing with the Jeep...

Thanks again