what treatment can I do for sore withers ?

cellie

Visit site
My horse is under vet and physio for ks and treatment has gone well until now. Hes very sore on wither again physio really helped him with laser treatment and Ive phoned her to come out early just waiting for another appointment. I also have saddle fitter out on thursday just incase he has changed shape now hes working better. Although he was working long and low he was lame the other day but only under saddle not lunging. Vet who treats him is away on holiday so will have to wait until hes back for consultation. I basically want to know if there is any form of massage I can do to area of wither to relax spasm. Im doing carrot stretched daily anyway and he has always been girthy . This area seems to give him more problems than his back and its only one side .

be positive

Visit site
I am rehabbing my horse with SI issues, the physio is coming every two weeks or so, in between I am massaging him, stretching and strapping twice a day if I can, my physio has said the more I can do the better.
There is plenty you can do to release the tension, start away from the problem area and see how the horse reacts, get a feel for what works well then move into the area of tension and continue. You should feel the effect under your finger tips and are unlikely to do any harm as long as you don't push him too much, he will tell you if he enjoys it or not.

cellie

Visit site
SI is that sacroilliac ? we have treated that as well . I was more concerned that I could do more harm. Hes sensitive so definitely tells me .Friend gave me a grooming tool with roller balls for massage that seemed to make a little difference.Hes such wimpy boy its difficult to get him to relax to do anything he anticipates pain before we start. Hoping hes changed shape and its saddle .:)

be positive

Visit site
SI is that sacroilliac ? we have treated that as well . I was more concerned that I could do more harm. Hes sensitive so definitely tells me .Friend gave me a grooming tool with roller balls for massage that seemed to make a little difference.Hes such wimpy boy its difficult to get him to relax to do anything he anticipates pain before we start. Hoping hes changed shape and its saddle .:)

Yes sacroiliac, mine had injections 4 weeks ago, like you I was worried about making him sore but by working the good areas he has really relaxed and become more accepting, he now really lets me get some pressure on wherever I want, has relaxed and the physio was very pleased when she treated him a few days ago, he loves the carrot stretches and knows he has them after I have done all the boring or difficult things.
Just start by being really gentle somewhere he enjoys, you can avoid the sore area until he is happy elsewhere, make sure you are not anticipation his reaction, some gentle finger massage should be relaxing not painful, I bought a gel which was herbal for massaging, if allowed that may be good as it should help reduce any pain as it was devils claw based.

cellie

Visit site
Thats good idea I have arnica gel Ill try that tomorrow. Just been on y tube looking at massaging tecniques . My horse had injections in June then 6 weeks inhand with poles etc and his back was brilliant after . The physio had to work on one side with his wither and it released really quickly. Hes much happier in himself so the weight has improved and his condition so possibly the problem is saddle fit . Not long to wait shes already booked for thursday but it would be much better if hes comfortable dont really want to try saddles if hes sore.They soon learn to anticipate stretches to get their carrots sometimes hes done the stretch before I have it in place lol. Let me know how you progress with your lad .