What weight for a 15.2 youngster?

Jennyharvey

Visit site
I know this may be a controversial topic, but my home bred mare isn't going to be as big as I had hoped, only making around 15.2 at a push maybe only 15 hands. I was just wondering what people think of the right weight for her as a 4 year old to be backed and ridden away. I want to back her myself but if needed I will get a smaller friend to help me. She is a connie cross warmblood type. I am planning on losing weight anyway but want to see if its feasible for me to be the right weight for her. Is there anyone on here who ride a young 15 2 who would share their weight? Thanks so much for any replies.

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
I know this may be a controversial topic, but my home bred mare isn't going to be as big as I had hoped, only making around 15.2 at a push maybe only 15 hands. I was just wondering what people think of the right weight for her as a 4 year old to be backed and ridden away. I want to back her myself but if needed I will get a smaller friend to help me. She is a connie cross warmblood type. I am planning on losing weight anyway but want to see if its feasible for me to be the right weight for her. Is there anyone on here who ride a young 15 2 who would share their weight? Thanks so much for any replies.

Jenny, it's a hard one to answer with any certainty without knowing WHERE she put her growth. If she looks more like a chunky Connie, then I'd say 10 stone max. to start (until back muscles are fitter and she's more balanced') If she's thrown more to the WB, then a stone less. The other thing - that eyes are needed for - is how mature she actually is at 4 (or 5 - or even 6.) Horses usually grow UP first, then the width catches up and a horse is stronger than it looked before. But I'd had 4 and 5 year olds SO bum high that the best place for them is out in the field until their front end catches up.

Hell - even eyes might not be a true help with maturity. Who can tell me how old this one is? (No cheating from those who know her, lol.)

Lizzie.jpg

ImmyS

Visit site
I’ve ridden my boy regularly from a rising 4 year old, he then had some time off and now as a just turned 5 year old. He’s a smidge under 15.1hh and Welsh D x cob although doesn’t have huge amounts of bone, lightweight cob type. I’m 5ft 9 and 10.5 stone and feel this has been absolutely fine but wouldn’t want any more on him personally.

NCEXVvx.jpg

still standing

Visit site
Janet George, wild guess just for fun because photo shows her front mostly, 1-2 years old!
OP, sorry can't help with weight for starting a youngster as I've not done that but my last horse, a WB cross, did not finish growing until 7 years old (although he ended up at 16.1).

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Agree with ihatework I have a 15h Arab his not a fine type but has not always had the best top line so I wouldn't put more than 10.5 stone on him, I was 9.5 stone when I backed him but I only weigh 9 stone now so it's fine for him.

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
With the length of tail I would say a yearling perhaps.

lol, that s not a good way to judge. My staff know that overly enthusiastic use of the scissors instead of a wash and a comb is NOT allowed, but the still sometimes get the tail on a 6yo shorter than that. She is 'officially' a yearling but when that pic was taken she was 11 months old and had left my place looking that age. I was gobsmacked when I saw quite how much she'd grown - but of course she HAD gone to Exmoor where horses seem to grow like weeds.

Now - her mother is 16.1 - sire is 16.3. How big would you guess she'd get when mature?

Sandstone1

Visit site
Jenny, it's a hard one to answer with any certainty without knowing WHERE she put her growth. If she looks more like a chunky Connie, then I'd say 10 stone max. to start (until back muscles are fitter and she's more balanced') If she's thrown more to the WB, then a stone less. The other thing - that eyes are needed for - is how mature she actually is at 4 (or 5 - or even 6.) Horses usually grow UP first, then the width catches up and a horse is stronger than it looked before. But I'd had 4 and 5 year olds SO bum high that the best place for them is out in the field until their front end catches up.

Hell - even eyes might not be a true help with maturity. Who can tell me how old this one is? (No cheating from those who know her, lol.)

View attachment 33591
Id say 4?
Shes lovely

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
I am 66kg and backed both my lightish 15.2hh mare and my 14.2hh stocky built Connie. I have backed all sorts at this weight.

Sandstone1

Visit site
lol, you're way out on age - 100% correct on lovely. Whatabout: Now - her mother is 16.1 - sire is 16.3. How big would you guess she'd get when mature. And - another clue - her full brother was 17.2 at 7!
haha miles away. Looks very grown up for her age.
id say 16 2?

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
haha miles away. Looks very grown up for her age.
id say 16 2?

lol, her owner would be disappointed. Actually, if I didn't KNOW her age I'd say she was a balanced 2-3yo who'd stand a good chance of Grading in September, IF she didn't shoot up before then. After all, I did NOT predict the eventual height of her first youngster from me - he was by a 17hh stallion out of a 15.2 mare; biggest full sibling - 17hh. He is now 18.3! And she sure wouldn't mind if this one ONLY gets to 18hh - she likes the view up there. I do not know WHAT it is on Exmoor - but every horse I've sold young to down there, has grown like a weed. Another one was 16.2 at 4, biggest full sibling 17hh - he made 18.2!

Breeding horses IS like rolling dice - and the odds on BIG are halved if they go to Exmoor, lol.

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
Back to the original question, I agree with IHW. 10 to 11 stone depending on how she looks when its time :)

And how they look - along with background - is the most important factor. Even a pic only tells you so much. You have to understand the breeding and which way they will go from how the look at 4. This mare was backed at 4 - lightweight rider barely 10 stone (and for a 16.1 3/4ID that is lighter than most really need!) But - within 6 months of easy backing and riding away - she had to go into the field for a year. Why? Because she shot up SO much behind she looked like a moderately severe case of lordosis. She's now 6, ALMOST level and the physio has declared her fit to start again - with care and with suitable exercises. I now get my very good equine physio to check a 4 or 5 year old BEFORE we even start. Weaknesses found can be treated in advance of weight on back.

Jezebel-LDO.jpg