What weight ?

Goldenstar

Visit site
Well thats exactly the nub of the question, would a small draught be able to carry MrGS out hunting and do me for hunting .
H is a lovely horse but he’s just too big for me to enjoy hunting .
MRGS is getting older he’s will sixty next birthday and his horses don’t have to hunt as hard as they used to .
Fatty is a full up 16 hand draught he carried him for years would a 15.2 do the job ?

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Well thats exactly the nub of the question, would a small draught be able to carry MrGS out hunting and do me for hunting .
H is a lovely horse but he’s just too big for me to enjoy hunting .
MRGS is getting older he’s will sixty next birthday and his horses don’t have to hunt as hard as they used to .
Fatty is a full up 16 hand draught he carried him for years would a 15.2 do the job ?

A real old fashioned small draught would, or (dare I say it) a proper cob.....

Goldenstar

Visit site
G who is 16 hh ISH with good bone is happily carrying our friend who is a tall man he carrying must be close to 14 stone with the saddle etc .
It has me thinking would a smaller draught do our job .
It’s hard to find a proper tradional type small draught now sadly .

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Have you actually put Mr G on the scales, Goldenstar? Not meaning to be rude, but my OH has a difference of half a stone depending on whether I'm in the room or not 😂

Does your hunting include jumping/hills/long fast gallops? And are you out all day? If so, I would be a bit reluctant, myself, to ask a 15.2 to do that amount of work carrying that weight.

I'm puzzled why the size of H is affecting your enjoyment of hunting?

KautoStar1

Visit site
[QUOTE="It’s hard to find a proper tradional type small draught now sadly .[/QUOTE]

rarer than hens teeth I would say.

On your question 12-14 stones max

Hallo2012

Visit site
i cant see 14 stone being an issue?

ive got a proper cube of 13hh welsh C that carries my OH at 12.5 stone with absolute ease-only light hacking but the pony goes the exact same for him as for me at 7 stone 10.... hes got a leg at each corner, tons of bone and doesnt have the typical welsh dippy back.

a 15hh version would easily carry 14 stone surely?!

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Hunters do seem to have to carry some pretty hefty lumps (not insinuating that Mr GS comes into that category!).

Remember that the weight of the saddle, other tack and rider's clothing comes on top. I was shocked to discover that my 18" MW Ideal event saddle complete with stirrups, girth and numnah came in at 1.5 stone. My regular summer riding clothing, crash hat, bridle etc added another 1 stone to that.

I'd think an absolute max of naked 14 stone rider's weight.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Why don't you put him up and see how they go on? I'm sure horse will let you know x

But they don't, do they? They mostly just soldier on quietly and break down too young, when they can no longer cope.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site

ive got a proper cube of 13hh welsh C that carries my OH at 12.5 stone with absolute ease-only light hacking but the pony goes the exact same for him as for me at 7 stone 10.... hes got a leg at each corner, tons of bone and doesnt have the typical welsh dippy back.

My dad rode a Section C for many years, he was a short arse and probably only 11 stone but would go all day :) likewise many larger Fells and Dales would take 14 stone of decent rider no bother if saddle fit was compatible. I often think though that natives really have backs and bone built for it (ie donkey/mule like) and I am not sure a draught does for that level of work (if that is hard hunting over fences).

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
My dad rode a Section C for many years, he was a short arse and probably only 11 stone but would go all day :) likewise many larger Fells and Dales would take 14 stone of decent rider no bother if saddle fit was compatible. I often think though that natives really have backs and bone built for it (ie donkey/mule like) and I am not sure a draught does for that level of work (if that is hard hunting over fences).

Ha ha! Irish Draughts were bred for hunting. Modern ones perhaps not so much, but a real old fashioned sort should be able to hump Mr GS around no problem.

Merrymoles

Visit site
I've got a 15.2hh chunky cob and have set a (rider) weight limit of 14 stone for him, which is about 15 per cent of his weight but that doesn't take tack and clothing into account and is based on light hacking. For hunting, I would be looking at reducing the weight percentage considerably and including tack, boots etc which would come in at a weight limit of about 11 stone.

Yes, I am sure he could (and has) carry more but I would want him to be well within his comfort zone.

ihatework

Visit site

A days hunting is a different proposition to light schooling or a toddle round the block

Goldenstar

Visit site
Have you actually put Mr G on the scales, Goldenstar? Not meaning to be rude, but my OH has a difference of half a stone depending on whether I'm in the room or not 😂

Does your hunting include jumping/hills/long fast gallops? And are you out all day? If so, I would be a bit reluctant, myself, to ask a 15.2 to do that amount of work carrying that weight.

I'm puzzled why the size of H is affecting your enjoyment of hunting?
H Has matured to e a magnificent tradional ID I say he is 16.3 he’s probaly bigger he’s too wide for my hip replacement that problem one and I can’t get on him and the the deal breaker I hate not being able to hop on
MrGS is about fourteen stone with saddle boots etc perhaps a few pounds over at times
Our horses do often hunt all day not of course when they are young and old they need to be very good at jumping upright timber not big hedges
Of course they need to gallop for long periods and go as fast as they can .
I was tentatively starting to look for a young ID H was 16.1 at five he’s two inches taller now and of course he’s fully topped out now he’s lovely to look at if you like ID’s there’s just two much of him for me to ride easily for hours

Goldenstar

Visit site