What width saddles are your 4 year old IDs in?

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
Having a think.

My four year old lad seems to have had a growth spurt. The saddle that fitted him four weeks ago (medium. 17"), no longer fits. Saddler says is now an extra-wide.

It seems a big jump in a short period. He's only four. Just backed so no topline to speak of. What the heck size is he going to end up in?!

It's also making me wonder what to do about getting a saddle now...

JFTDWS

Visit site
Mine's in a wide, a proper, English wide rather than a continental type wide - she's a QHx, only been backed a few months.

Asha

Visit site
My ID mare (5yo)is in a wide equipe jumping saddle 17.5 inch. She was in it as a 4 year old too. We just had more padding when she was younger. Now she just has saddle cloth and gel pad . Fits great. My daughters ID gelding has the same saddle but in a 17inch .

spacefaer

Visit site
My 4 yr old ID is in a 31.5 Stubben Siegfried. It should continue to fit him as his withers emerge from the puppy fat stage! He is a chunky maxi cob type, not the modern slimline sporty type of ID.

It is worth bearing in mind that one saddler's "wide" will not be the same as another - my Fat Lad ( an 8 yr old RID who has no wither at all, just very wide shoulders) was in a XW Wintec which has become too narrow. He is now in an unbranded saddle which has MW stamped on the stirrup bar. It's more about the style of the saddle as the width.

(and don't get me started on the D to D measurement - that is definitely no indication of width either!)

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I've seen several young IDx horses get narrower when the withers rise with work. I wouldn't be in a rush to buy any saddle that isn't adjustable.

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
More interesting info, thank you :)

I'm looking at the Saddle Company as it's adjustable The horses' back kady is also a saddler and sells them. It would mean their backs and saddles wiuld be cared for hand in hand as it were. Other 'horse' is a bogof cob (so of half unknown origins), and he's just being backed now. As fat as a house and no wither to speak of.

Vodkagirly

Visit site
I bought mine at 5 and he was in an extra wide (bates), 6 months later his shape changed and we went down to wide. At 7, he is wide, occasionally dropping enough to justify a half past to fill it out but don't quite get to the next gullet.