What would you advise? (field care)

HorseyTee

Visit site
Sorry, me, again!

This is the first time we have had our own sole use field, and the first time our boys have had a field shelter, which they are using as we find poos in there, however it also means that just outside the shelter, the floor has been churned up a bit and is starting to get quite muddy.
We were thinking of putting some wood chip down, however that is probably going to rot away quite quickly isn't it? what other cheap-ish options is there to avoid the ground being ruined where they stand?

Thanks.

HorseyTee

Visit site
Hmm yes I did think that about the wood chip.
I thought about some rubber mats but worried they will be slippery in the winter and rain (ours are barefoot, but still can be slippy). I guess that smaller gravel will be better and less likely to cause bruising to the sole and things?

Carrottom

Visit site
Drainage of the water from the roof is the essential thing. Field shelters often have guttering along the front with down pipes either side. If this is not channeled away it tends to make the area in front boggy.

vickie123

Visit site
I’ve used road plainings and grass mats on top before and they work well. Mine are barefoot and I’ve not noticed any slipping.

HorseyTee

Visit site
Ah thanks guys.

The roof tilts backwards so rain is drained behind, and it is under a large tree so is sheltered a little further, yet the cob with his big fat feet has still managed to start churning it up.

Fiona

Visit site
A small amount of hardcore covered in grassmats :)

Our two small ponies lived out last winter, and this protected their gateways really well :)

Fiona

DD

Visit site
mine is grass mats covered with scalpings ( hardcore). the grasss mats stop the stone sinking. the horses feet have never been better. they are barefoot.