What would you be paying for a tb?

GlamourDol

Visit site
Hope this is okay but I've been asked for my view but I know absolutely jack all about the market for this type.
She's a 5yr old with good basic schooling, she did race but just not quick enough.
Hasn't competed but more than ready to.

Any ideas?
Admin, please delete if not allowed. 😄

Thanks X

{97702}

Visit site
I paid £650 for mine - he is only 14.2 ish so did 2 years pony racing, so not a 'proper' ex-racer, but might give you an idea? I'm in Gloucestershire

ihatework

Visit site
How long is a piece of string!
Depends on how classy she is, movement, confo, temperament blah blah blah

TBs of the track are ten a penny.
£200-1000.
Good TBs with the potential to be useful eventers take a good eye and a bit of finding but will make more

Equi

Visit site
Sounds like a nice enough one, maybe 1k or under. I paid £1200 for mine, who was schooled and calm (10yo) but sold for £250 as a 15yo

GlamourDol

Visit site
How long is a piece of string!
Depends on how classy she is, movement, confo, temperament blah blah blah

TBs of the track are ten a penny.
£200-1000.
Good TBs with the potential to be useful eventers take a good eye and a bit of finding but will make more

Thanks, I really like her. In fact I think her owner would quite like me to buy her but I would only be doing it to turn her round again in 6 months as she's just not big enough for me.

Carefreegirl

Visit site
Friends just been offered one for £100. Good breeding, 4 year old. Never raced as wasn't fast enough. Looks a nice horse in the pictures I've seen. He's ready to start retraining straight away. If she doesn't want him and I was looking I'd be very tempted.

be positive

Visit site
I think she is worth a sensible price based on her current level of education and potential to go on, it should not be based on the fact she raced as it sounds as if it was a limited career so is in the past, I think it a shame that a young tb is usually so undervalued if it has been bred to race, has been trained and run a few times, many will go on to do extremely well with no physical issues, it is difficult to find a quality young horse with the basics well established.

If selling I would have a lower base price of £2k moving up from that depending on things you have not mentioned, temperament, confo, movement, jumping ability, plus the most important what she is like out hacking which is a priority for the majority of people, if she ticks all the boxes she could be a lovely prospect for someone and soon be worth far more than her value as an "ex racehorse" it is time the nice ones are more appreciated and can move on from their former life. She will also be eligible for ROR classes which is useful for adding another string to the bow.

ihatework

Visit site
Thanks, I really like her. In fact I think her owner would quite like me to buy her but I would only be doing it to turn her round again in 6 months as she's just not big enough for me.

If you are wanting/hoping to make a profit then I wouldn't bother unless you think she will show well at the BYEH/BE 5yo classes.
There is little money/market for 5yo em racers otherwise. Those that want them either are experienced and buy cheap from source to produce themselves, or are novices who are drawn in by a lower price and pretty face and 99% of the time shouldn't be let loose near an ex racer

GlamourDol

Visit site
I think she is worth a sensible price based on her current level of education and potential to go on, it should not be based on the fact she raced as it sounds as if it was a limited career so is in the past, I think it a shame that a young tb is usually so undervalued if it has been bred to race, has been trained and run a few times, many will go on to do extremely well with no physical issues, it is difficult to find a quality young horse with the basics well established.

I would have a lower base price of £2k moving up from that depending on things you have not mentioned, temperament, confo, movement, jumping ability, plus the most important what she is like out hacking which is a priority for the majority of people, if she ticks all the boxes she could be a lovely prospect for someone and soon be worth far more than her value as an "ex racehorse" it is time the nice ones are more appreciated and can move on from their former life. She will also be eligible for ROR classes which is useful for adding another string to the bow.

Thanks be positive. I only mentioned she had raced as I was unsure as to whether that qualifies her to enter the ROR.
Hacks on her own, hunted last year, is ridden twice a week at the moment as owner working full time and doesn't have lights on school.

Thanks everyone for your replies. ��

GlamourDol

Visit site
If you are wanting/hoping to make a profit then I wouldn't bother unless you think she will show well at the BYEH/BE 5yo classes.
There is little money/market for 5yo em racers otherwise. Those that want them either are experienced and buy cheap from source to produce themselves, or are novices who are drawn in by a lower price and pretty face and 99% of the time shouldn't be let loose near an ex racer

Hence why I'm not buying her. ��