What would you consider a yard hopper

Gingerwitch

Visit site
It's a shame but often what is said at yard Inspection turns out to be no where near what you get.

Then again it works both ways do you get us 8pm gates are locked other than emergency or late return from a comp. As long as yard owner informed..... And liveries go out hacking at 7.30pm and return after riding to pub and back at 9.45pm and wonder why they get asked to leave.

doodle

Visit site
After I lost soli and got Tom I took him to a new yard. I hated it, a few niggles and I just didn’t fit in. I moved back “home” in 2 months. I did feel bad as yo had put up another stable for me (sectional in a barn so not tooooo hard) but it was filled again quickly. So I guess that was yard hopper behaviour but had been at yard now for 5 years and have had a further 5 years since.

TPO

Visit site
I would have been considered a yard hopper before my olds bought their place (and even then I moved to a yard closer to my home before swiftly moving back 6wks later).

I did always have a reason for moving and in one way or another that reason was always because of something awful at current yard and trying to find something that would be better/safer for my horses. I thought that every bad experience would make me smarter when viewing new yards and that I would have covered all bases with my questions but yards still like to surprise you!

The longest I was on any yard was a private farm that rented out stables and grazing. Initially there were 3 or 4 others at a time. I left to go to a yard with facilities (school and ridden company) before coming back knowing that the grass isn't always greener. Ultimately it ended up being me there on my own my three horses. I only left after my numbers sadly reduced to one so I went to a livery yard so my horse had company as I couldn't face buying another at that point in time.

That place aside the only yard I went back to I knew was a badly managed dive but better the devil you know, it was the best out of a bad lot, it was only short term until the olds got their place and there were no other choices. Aprt from that yard I've never returned to places that I've left, and apart from that last yard I've left everywhere on good terms (bad terms were because of other horses being neglected and mistreated) and a few have asked me to go back, because there was a reason for leaving in the first place.

Moving yards, for me, isn't enjoyable and I doubt that it was for my horses. I've only ever tried to the best by them and keep them safe and happy, admittedly not always successfully.

So yeah I've been talked about and called a yard hopper because while others have been happy to slag off the yard but remain I have chosen to try to find better. I've never been someone who has moved yards because a friend has or somewhere is the latest "best" place.

Last edited:

PapaverFollis

Visit site
I yard hopped all the way around my last area. Like TPO just constantly trying to find somewhere better or safer for my horses and constantly being disappointed. If that makes me a "yard hopper" and that's some terrible social faux pas I don't give a crap. Yards should provide better if they don't want people to just hop off again. I didn't hop away from my last yard in the area because it was lovely and actually provided what they said they would provide when we looked round. Unlike all the ones before!

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
I’ve known a few people who have moved around a bit but there has always been reasons. Most of my moves after I left the farm I was renting from in 2011/12 were getting let down by people I classed as friends when offered spaces at ‘their place’ I think the shortest time I have been on a yard is 18months. After I got let down in 2013, just as I was due to go into hospital for surgery, my friend took my old
Boy on loan for her daughter for 4/5months whilst I recovered.

After that I moved to an actual yard and was there until the manic inconsistent (read wiki-warrior) YM finally crossed the line and I left in May last year. Been a good move as although it’s 12miles from my house I have everything I need and the wee guy has flourished. Don’t see me moving anytime soon unless it’s to my own place

exracehorse

Visit site
I know a pair who yard hop. But that’s because they ate horrible Cause so much trouble. Leave. And slate yard on Facebook

zandp

Visit site
I move for welfare or safety issues or bitchiness / unstable people - yard owners x 4 and livery only x 1 !! I've also moved because I miscalculated the distance and cost of going to one yard, in hindsight I should have gone to assisted but I was so used to going up twice a day it didn't occur to me !

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
I can see yard hopping a bit when you are new to an area. I got some recommendations when I moved last, and found a stable that seemed like it would work well enough. I moved about 3 months later as it wasn't the right fit and a more suitable yard was found that no one said anything about before. I could see someone in my situation moving around a few times to get settled. Might seem like yard hopping at first, but it is quite difficult in a new area sometimes. And we all know, some yards aren't quite as advertised and seen upon first visit.

holeymoley

Visit site
I have been on 6 yards in 16 years. Perhaps I'd be called a yard hopper? People's circumstances change, yards change.

Yard 1 - the best out the lot, but know at the time for having a few 'big personalities'. (4/5years)
Yard 2- a friend's yard, ended up scared of her huge big dogs! (9 months)
Yard 3- a stop-gap in between yard 2 and waiting for another yard to have space (1 month)
Yard 4- a great yard, but fell pregnant and required services not just strict diy (2 years)
Yard 5- Unfortunately not as described, didn't offer anything that they said they did, track was hellish to drive too (2 years)
Yard 6- Decent yard but very un-knowledgable owners. Fertilised fields, welfare cases the lot. (2 years)

I'm now back at Yard 1 and don't ever plan on moving again! 'Big personalities' have moved on, I'm older less tolerant of nonsense, and wiser. (or so I like to think :p)

Bea_millard

Visit site
I guess I could be considered a yard hopper by some. I’m at my second yard in 18 months and I’m looking to move to my third. Moved from yard 1 to yard 2 because the care was deteriorating and the facilities were awful. School was very often flooded to the point where you couldn’t ride in it. Yard 2 offered much better facilities and care (and at almost double the price!). I’m moving him again because I’m moving. The yard will be 26 miles one way and, with the cost of the livery, it’ll add up quickly to a LOT of money

dorsetladette

Visit site
At one point I thought I looked like a yard hopper for a while.

Land owner sold property so given 30 days notice after been there 12 years. Found somewhere in a panic, but wasn't ideal and 30 mile round trip twice a day. 2 weeks later found somewhere closer with somewhere to ride and hacking was better. 2 weeks after that had one of my ponies put to sleep after a kick in the field (he was turned out alone other horse jumped in with him). within a month I moved again as my other pony was turned out with the kicker and I worried for his safety. Stayed at that place for 9 months and then a place came up that I wanted to move too. 3 years there dynamics changed and bullying on the yard drove me out. I'm now happily on my own place with 1 livery to help pay the rent - I don't plan on moving anytime soon unless I win the lottery.

Daniel_Jack

Visit site
I think the very term "yard hopper" suggests the problem is with the livery not the yard!

As others have mentioned, what you are promised is not always what you get so often this is the cause of people moving.

I owned my last horse for almost 9 years and during that time was on 7 different yards which makes me sound like a yard hopper but it was mostly a case of the yard over promisingly or changing the rules/set up so that it came to no longer suit - plus we moved over 35 miles to a new home so had to move yards.

With the exception of one yard(the very first one) I left on good terms and am still friends with my previous yard owners and know I'd be welcome back but from the outside looking in then I definitely look like a yard hopper!

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I'd say yard hoppers move every 6-12 months, rarely go back to a yard, and often leave because of conflicts with other liveries, rather than wanting better facilities.

Personally, I don't have the energy to move yards!

I sold a horse to one of these once. I have always regretted not finding him a better owner. Every 6 months they picked a quarrel with where they were, and moved.

Kat

Visit site
I've been on the same yard for years, so definitely not a yard hopper! In fact I've been through two owners of the same place and several managers.

I don't think it can be considered yard hopping if you stay somewhere a year or more.

It is normally pretty obvious who is a yard hopper and who is genuine.

People have genuine changes of circumstances that mean they have to move despite being on good terms. There are a few that I can think of who would be welcomed back with open arms if they wanted to come back.

Some people just aren't a good fit with the yard, sometimes that is personality other times it is horses or owners needing a different set up. Not necessarily a personal issue, just a horse needing solo turnout or an owner needing more support.

A few seem to be chasing the perfect yard and are never quite happy, they end up moving on frequently. Not necessarily leaving on bad terms just not very settled. Quite often they are new to an area, new to ownership or young.

Then there are the ones that move on frequently because they are the problem. Sometimes disruptive, awkward, difficult or bullying, sometimes over horsed or owning a problem horse, sometimes theft or unpaid bills. They are the ones everyone wants to avoid!

skint1

Visit site
I'm definitely not a yard hopper having been at my current yard for around 12yrs, and I wouldn't consider someone a yard hopper for moving because the offering turned out not to suit them, or their circumstances changed. I guess if someone kept getting thrown off for non-payment or being argumentative then that would be different.

I am currently re-evaluating my yard because they've made a huge change to the grazing on offer and I am not sure that it will meet the needs of my horses in the longer term. I am willing to give it a try and see because I'd be sad to leave as I have friends there and it feels like "home" most of the time. Maybe I won't find what I am looking for, but if my horses are too hungry and unhappy I would have to try.

HappyHollyDays

Slave to 2 cats and 2 ponies
Visit site
I left a yard after two weeks. On paper it was perfect and it really was nice but my horses hated it and they went from super chilled to so stressed it took two people to tack one up and the other went over backwards rather than go into the American barn. I often wonder whether there was a murder victim buried under the concrete because their reactions were so extreme.

On moving them back to DP’s original yard he came off the box, looked around and sighed with relief. I won’t be moving them anywhere else unless it’s to have them at home which would be a bit of a squeeze.

TPO

Visit site
3 days is my shortest time on a yard. I'd thoroughly inspected it and asked all the right questions and had agreed how introductions would be done etc. Got there and it was not the case at all. "Thankfully" neurotic TV had an abscess so was in box rest the whole time but my horse wasnt so lucky. It was awful and the owner, who turned out to be someone I'd been on a yard with 8yrs earlier but hadnt recognised, was nuts and clueless.

Even things like the adlib forage (it was February so grass) was a lie, I believed what she had told me the set up was but that wasnt what actually happened. They hay I'd seen when I'd viewed must have just been put out for my visit because there was nothing aside from what I was putting out once I arrived.

It was so stressful and that is why I did my one and only U turn and went back to another unsuitable yard that I'd previously left because it was a case of better the devil you know in this instance.

sherry90

Visit site
I have moved twice since owning horses. First time was that he came down with lami and I couldn’t box rest at that yard as I was having surgery so he moved temporarily whilst I recovered. Then moved to where I am now (full livery) and I don’t plan on moving again unless finances/life dictate I have to.
Oh I forget he did temporarily go on grass livery as a youngster before the first yard because he was still entire but I’d been at that yard previously with my other horse and they knew why I was temporarily holding him elsewhere whilst the nuts came off as mares on their yard!

Ly1327

Visit site
I’m probably considered a yard hopper. I’ve had my horse for 5 years now and this is my 4 yard. Already thinking about moving.

1st yard - didn’t really know I was doing. Lasted 3 months and my horse got injured.

2nd year - was there over a year and would of stayed but because of covid the owners got really funny and we weren’t allowed to our own horses.

3rd yard - we ended up moving with the yard manager from stable no2 to due the above reasons with covid. Was there for a good year and half. Would of stayed but only moved due to some very personal problems with the yard manager. Was also bullied out there by her & her friends for the personal problems. Would love to go back if she wasn’t there. But she is still there so can’t go back there.

4th yard - have only been there for a month, I just don’t think this is yard for me. Horse is happy but too many bitches and people who ‘Unofficially’ run the yard. I just can’t seem to do anything right.It seems a bit dodgy to as it’s cash in hand type job.

hopefully my 5th move might my last, as otherwise I’m thinking of just giving up on owning a horse, but don’t want to sell my mare as a love her. But can’t deal with the livery side.

Chianti

Visit site
I would have been considered a yard hopper before my olds bought their place (and even then I moved to a yard closer to my home before swiftly moving back 6wks later).

I did always have a reason for moving and in one way or another that reason was always because of something awful at current yard and trying to find something that would be better/safer for my horses. I thought that every bad experience would make me smarter when viewing new yards and that I would have covered all bases with my questions but yards still like to surprise you!

The longest I was on any yard was a private farm that rented out stables and grazing. Initially there were 3 or 4 others at a time. I left to go to a yard with facilities (school and ridden company) before coming back knowing that the grass isn't always greener. Ultimately it ended up being me there on my own my three horses. I only left after my numbers sadly reduced to one so I went to a livery yard so my horse had company as I couldn't face buying another at that point in time.

That place aside the only yard I went back to I knew was a badly managed dive but better the devil you know, it was the best out of a bad lot, it was only short term until the olds got their place and there were no other choices. Aprt from that yard I've never returned to places that I've left, and apart from that last yard I've left everywhere on good terms (bad terms were because of other horses being neglected and mistreated) and a few have asked me to go back, because there was a reason for leaving in the first place.

Moving yards, for me, isn't enjoyable and I doubt that it was for my horses. I've only ever tried to the best by them and keep them safe and happy, admittedly not always successfully.

So yeah I've been talked about and called a yard hopper because while others have been happy to slag off the yard but remain I have chosen to try to find better. I've never been someone who has moved yards because a friend has or somewhere is the latest "best" place.

It's so sad to read the bad experiences that owners have had a yards. When my last horse was PTS I said I wouldn't have another and that was largely to do with the quality of care at yards I'd been on. I'm sure there are many yard hoppers who move in, build up debt, make a nuisance of themselves and then move on. There have been several yards that I've only stayed at for a few weeks and that's been because the yard owner/ manager has conveniently forgotten everything we'd spoken about when I went to view. I don't know if that still makes me a yard hopper?

nagblagger

Visit site
I'm a slow field hopper..i hate moving and stressing.
1st field 22yrs owner sold,
2 nd 'main base' field 23 years,
i also rent a small field for the last 16yrs (winter turnout for 4) and another field when the herd expended which is about 9 years.

toppedoff

Failure ain't an option around here 😂🏇
Visit site
I guess I'd count! I was a groom, have been out of work for a year but I wouldn't count it as work.. just someone who loves ponies and wanted to dedicate their time to horses

June 2021 - April 2022 for reference on this timeline. I spend an average on Yard 1 and 2 about 3-4 months?

Yard 1 - Was my work experience placement in school, stayed on for a bit, issue was fuel though, it got very costly!

Yard 2 - Yard owner kept promising we will do stuff with the horses then backed off last minute (as 'payment' for my help) - I never ever got a thank you either

Yard 3 - November till April.. now I love this Yard but it got too much. I was walking an hour there to get there at 8am and then finish at 5pm and walk home. I kept getting told that they'll pay be when they can 🤦‍♀️ naive of me.

I've never done any paid work, the most I got out of those yards was Yard 1 gave me a £10 because her stallion hit me in the face!

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
When a person comes round views yard, sees everything we do (no change), gets me to do all the extras. Stays here two months, then says he is going away for three months so horse will move to his friends before breaking him in ( not even 2 year old horse) :rolleyes:. Then you find out guy not going away, horse moves, he decides not to pay the extras and ignore all attempts to contact.

Those who have been too more than 3 yards in a year or stays only a few days as they are missing their old yard.

First Frost

Visit site
I kept my horses at my parents yard until my mid 30's. Then I moved to a totally different area for my job. I did lots of research before moving my horses and was happy on that yard for 13 years. The yard owner's circumstances then changed and I moved to my present yard which I have been on for 8 years. iam still friends with the first yard owner and the second was a friend anyway. I have been very lucky, however having been bought up on a yard maybe i have a good eye when choosing.