What would you do in this situation?

jemstone

Visit site
I need some honest opinions on this....

I have got the sweetest little welsh sec D. He is about 14.1hh and safe as houses, infact he is a little too quiet for what i like!

He is fab to hack out and generally a real sweetheart. He is gorgous to look at and generally a saint to handle and have around but.....he is not a world beater and is not really into jumping. He will pop over little things but doesnt really enjoy it and doesnt have the guts to jump anything decent i.e. he would not cope with say a 2ft 6"/2ft 9" course, he is more of a family pony. I love him to bits and have a lot of history with this little man as i backed him and have owned him since he was 3yrs, he is now 8yrs old.

So... i would love something to compete on in the RC and generally have a bit of fun with. Should i put him on loan as a happy hacker and get something else or persever and get him as confident as i can over fences. I really want to get into doing a bit more jumping and he is not really interested!

Should i bite the bullet and part company with him or let heart rule head and keep him?!
confused.gif
very confused!!!

I dont think i could sell him ever but have thought about possibly getting him a more suitable home.
frown.gif

Any thoughts?

KatB

Visit site
I was in the same situation in the fact I wanted to event, but my darling cob wouldnt. I have put him on loan and am confident that he's in a very loving home, and very well looked after. This has given me the flexibility to get my new boy up and running and ready to event. If you can afford it, loan. If you cant, the nicest thing is to sell as otherwise you'll both get disheartened, and its alot better as an owner to have a horse you can do what you want to do with

jemstone

Visit site
This is the thing, i dont think i would get very much for him if i sold him and that would leave me a bit short on funds for a new one plus the way prices are at the moment it would be tough to buy anything!

I have also had some really baqd experiences buying horses over the past few years that its going to take some balls to go for it and buy something a little more suitable. I dont know, have thought about this many times but as yet just cant make the decision!!

I would love to do what you have done. Did you find it easy gettting something to event?

I think loaning him would be better for me as i would be able to know where he was and get him back if i wanted.

It would just be hard to get the money together to buy a new horse. AHHH!! this is not easy!

KatB

Visit site
I know its really not an easy situation to be in. If you havent got the funds to buy another one, how about finding a horse to loan? You can then put your boy out, and have another one, without any "solid" commitments?

I brought my lad as a just broken 3yr old from ireland. He stilll wasnt cheap, but there are bargains to be had. Its hard work, and I sometimes wish i still had my cob who was so easy with everything, but I now i made the right decision for both of us in the long run.

Have you ever competed in the disciplines you want to?

jemstone

Visit site
Yes i have done loads of competing over the years in all sorts mostly Riding CLub.

I want an easy going horse which i can just go and do a bit on but something which is confident jumping on. I have always had horses which have been wimps when it comes to jumping where as i love it so not a great match really!

I think i will have to start to save for a new horsie!

How do you go about buying something from Ireland, and is the one you bought the one in your signiture? He is gorgeous!

How much would i expect to pay for the type of thing you bought from ireland?

KatB

Visit site
Well thats good, at least you know thats definitely what you want to do, alot of people have ambitions, but actually fall down when they finally realise whats involved! Least you've already done it, so you've got a more definite target!!
smile.gif

Yep the one in my siggy is my Irish boy!! Thank you, he is my baby!! He was 4k but would have been alot more over here, just because of the fashion towards good moving coloured horses unfortunately!!

If you have a very knowledgable person to go with to back you up, going to Goresbridge sales in Ireland can be very rewarding, and you can get some nice types cheaply. Transport only costed me £200, so less than getting him from the other side of england!!

If you just want a good RC allrounder, there are bargains to be had in the UK, just through word of mouth.

EllieBeast

Visit site
What area of the country are you in? (pm if you like) if you were going for a loan, then im sure there are lots of the type you are looking for about.
Sarah xXx

jemstone

Visit site
Yes i mean i dont really want anything special just a quiet alrounder who likes jumping!

There is no way my budget would stretch to anywhere near £4k tho!!

May have to put this dream on hold for a while whilst i save the pennies!

I would also probably benefit from having more of a schoolmaster for a bit to get me back into it all.

Still think i may have to look out for something on loan as i am not going to be able to afford anything me thinks!!

Sooty

Visit site
Horses like him are worth their weight in gold, and always in demand. He would prabably love PC activities, and make an ideal horse for a youngster. I would be tempted to loan him out unless you need the money, although loan agreements can go wrong and you may get him back at a moment's notice! However, he can't do what you want to do with your riding, so you would probably be better off with another horse. Tough situation as you backed him and are obviously very attached, but I am sure he will be very easy for someone else to love.

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
Without a doubt....sell him. I'm not heartless, I'll give my reasons.

Firstly If you put him out on loan, then buy your new horse & things don't work out with the loaner he comes back. You have to find somewhere for him & you also have the bills, feed, keep, tack, vet, etc, etc.
Secondly If he goes out on loan & it is successful they have him for years. Eventually he is retired or he receives an injury or illness. Then he is returned to you for you to look after & again you have all the bills.

Sell him, say goodbye, see he goes to a good home & then get on with your new horse. Don't go visiting him, you only get tearful again wether he's well looked after ot not. He will no longer be yours.
As I say I'm not heartless, I've been through this & I honestly believe this is the best way. Good Luck on whatever you decide.

Christmas_Kate

Visit site
he sounds just what i'm looking to loan lol.

There are plenty of people about who just want something to hack out on, do a little jumping, perhaps try their hand at showing etc. I think both you and him would be happier if you loaned him out or sold him. Horses and ponies like that are worth their weight in gold, suitable for mums to hack out with the kids etc.

Happytohack

Visit site
If you want to do more than he is happy doing, it would be best for you to find something more scopey and to find him a new home. There are loads of people who would love a 100% safe happy-hacker/confidence giver. His size would suit a small mum and a daughter share as well and he could give a nervous rider loads of confidence. I know it is a hard decision, but if you really want to do more than he does, you need to let him go and find something else.

Judie

Visit site
With my last horse I was in your shoes, didn't think anyone else would give him the home he needed, thought I was the only one who would look after him properly, but you know, I did bite the bullet and sold him, I was in pieces when they came for him, but the next day and the day after I was much better and looking for my next one. He ended up in a home to die for, and in hindsight far more suitable than me, he wanted to jump not ponce around doing dressage, so a good result all round.

If you haven't got the cash to make up the difference if why don't you advertise for a part exchange, I'm sure there are people out there who have overhorsed themselves when really they should have got a chap like yours to have some fun on and be looked after by him, that way you get to see where he is going when you go and try theirs, might be worth a thought. I know it has worked for others.