what would you do?- lameness investigation

bushbaby28

Visit site
apologies for length. cookies and ice cream for reading.

so basically 2 weeks ago noticed my horse was lame walking across the field, trotted him up and he was nodding and had heat in his left foot. kept him in and called the vet out next day. Had his left shoe off, couldn't find anything significant but told to poultice for a few days and give him some bute.

Few days after doing this (he was very lame but being a tb with only one front shoe on its not suprising!)got farrier out who could find nothing in his foot, hoof tested and no sore points so thought it was in his leg.

After another week of rest (out 24/7) he was trotting up sound (well sound for him) and got on him for simple 5 min walk around the school to stretch him. was fine on left rein but significantly lame on the right rein which would surely suggest lameness in right leg??

so we;re now 2 weeks from when i 1st spotted it. no obvious heat, swelling or bruising on either legs.

Would you get vet out for full work up/ nerve blocks etc?

His left leg is not covered by insurance as he's had so many past injuries. however can't see any reason why his right leg wouldnt be covered.

thanks so much if you got this far!! xx

Booboos

Visit site
I would call the vet out to be honest otherwise it is difficult to know what to do for the best (he may need rest, he may need treatment, he may need gentle exercise, etc. without a diagnosis it's impossible to know).

bushbaby28

Visit site
Ok thanks for your help guys. think thats the best way forward too. fingers crossed its all ok, he's got enough going on without more injuries
frown.gif

wish us luck xx

jenh166

Visit site
It could be either leg tbh. If there was heat in left, it could be that. But fact he is lamer on right rein suggests right. But, suspensory injuries for example are worse when affected leg is on outside...so you can never really tell. I would have suggested farrier, as heat in foot and most lamenesses are foot related, but seeing as you've already done that, I would get a lameness workup done. Good luck!