What would you do - livery dilemma....(apologies for long post)

4whitesocks

Visit site
OK so super-yard ain't quite so super at the moment, moved two weeks ago from having been in a friends yard for a year and a half - beginning to realise how lucky I was with her....I'm on full livery including schooling - (apparently, theough he was only ridden twice this week and that was a hack)...up to now my biggest concern was the feeding thing (they don't give enough haylage and when I get to the yard at 6.30 he has no food until the morning)....but the last few days have really opened my eyes - last night arrived down about 6, all horses in with no haylage (well maybe 2 still had a bit to munch)....none of them had any water so I watered them all which is no problem and gave me something to do while Sid was enjoying his nibble of grass....
He hadn't been turned out since Wednesday, we agreed he would be turned out from 8 - 3 every day - I know because when I was there on weds he was covered in muck, he loves a good roll, and I deliberately groomed to an inch of his life so that I could check if he was turned out the next day.
I had to work late on Thurs
At about 7 one of the liveries arrived back with his daughter who had been jumping somewhere and he had been going to do the water - but still......she came racing up to me in the tiny paddock where he was grazing and said oh be careful - ah no it's ok they've fixed it....I asked what she was talking about, apparently another liveries mare had been turned out in it and when rolling caught her hind leg on a rail off the post and rail (they have a rail that sits on the ground) she pulled the rail off and really badly gashed her leg with 6 inch nails.....worst of all they hadn't told the owner (this happened on weds which explains why Sid wasn't out).....apparently because she was going away to a wedding this weekend and they didn't want her to worry??????? WTF??????

Then went to get Sid some extra haylage and there was NONE - and I mean none at all.....

Decided to ride this afternoon (to date on a sat there has been people there all day), not comfortable riding with no-one on the yard in the big field with other horses out in case something happened but I arrived at 12 and left at 3, no-one there....most horses in with no water or food, still no haylage.....

so - sorry about the length of this post - I honestly think I should start looking again for a yard....heard of one that has just opened for livery just down the road, has a sand arena, winter turnout, hacking trail etc.
I know it would be uprooting him again but to be fair to the poor fella he's very easy to do and has been very patient with all the disruption...
OR am I mad...are all livery yards like this and I was just spoilt with my mate (...I always knew my horse was safe and well fed at least...)

Niamhy

photobucket.com
Dont like the sound of that Im afraid, in this day and age horses should not be left without the basics, ie food and water.

If all the water was gone, I dread to think when they were last filled?

I think move to be honest....

Niamhy

photobucket.com
[ QUOTE ]
me too Niamhy.....god I dread the thoughts of it...but at least I'll be better prepared for all the questions I need to ask and not quite so gullible....

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, harsh lesson to learn, but at least now you know. Hopefully the perfect place is out there for you!!!

hairycob

Visit site
Sounds like you know what to do but need reassuring that your not being cruel moving him again. If other liveries don't think dangerous nails are worth telling YO about it makes you wonder about the culture on the yard. It also sounds like other liveries aren't surprised by there being no water, although I could be reading too much into what you have written

Tia

Visit site
Go and stack up on some bags of haylage - when your bill comes in for next months livery - send back your own invoice covering the cost of the haylage you had to purchase!!

OMG!! I would be absolutely seething! I've owned boarding stables for well over a decade now - NEVER in my time of running it do horses not have water and not have ad-lib fibre, whether that be hay or haylage.

I think that is absolutely atrocious and I would definitely be looking for somewhere else and move pronto......and although I am not gossipy where it comes to other yards.......I'd make damn sure I banded this about to all and sundry! These sorts of people give ALL us yard owners a bad name.

jes_nibley

www.languedocgundogs.co.uk
I'd suggest moving pronto. ok, so it's getting dark earlier so they'll be put to bed earlier but to be 'in bed' and to have finished all haylage and water by 6??!!? that's just not right.
when i worked at a livery yard (30 horses), we used to start putting to bed about four in deepest darkest december, be fininshed by six ish but the owner or myself would do a skip out, and water (wuth the occasional haylage) at 8 and then a late night walk round at midnight.
to not tell the owner that their horse has hurt itself is disgraceful, imagine if it has lasting damage, gets infection, or the action taken by the yard is different from you would have wanted - you'd never know until your return.
keeping a horse witha friend is always easier as you have more of a 'contact' with that horse and treat it almost as your own, but these days, a yard should be the same.
if you agree to things, such as every day turnout, and it's not possible an alternative should be made or you should be informed.
apologies for the lengthy reply but you should only accept the best for your horse.

Murphs_Mum

Visit site
Full livery is supposed to make things easier for you and take the worry out of things - clearly this is not happening. I would be very worried about the Haylage situation, not telling someone their horses is injured is appaling. You'll forever be worrying and checking up on him - i'd move pronto x

kayleigh_and_rocky

www.kayleigh-nicholls.piczo.com
This just isnt on!! I would leave immediately and make sure they know exactly why!! Its just appauling this is meant to be a professionaly run livery yard right? The horses should never be left with no water or haylage and i'd be furious if we'd arranged every day turn out and riding and didnt get it! Leave, quickly!

4whitesocks

Visit site
have been having a busy afternoon on the phone - off now to see a small yard with one other livery only 2 miles away from me....she doesn't school but does have a floodlit sand arena and lots of quiet hacking....also uses a international showjumper for lessons once a month or so who's not mad expensive....she's 20 a week cheaper, adlib hay, winter turnout and will have her xcountry course ready for riding by spring (she has just reseeded the grass)

cons - no guarantee of anyone to hack out with, no schooling (need to buy a trailer a lot sooner than planned)
Oh and she's pregnant (3 months) so would need to figure out what her plans are in 3 months time....

Pros...well I guess the obvious! and I can ride myself in the evenings as it's floodlit (oh she has a walker too not a big fan but...)

will keep you all posted - thanks for the reassuranace that it's the right thing to so....
(am going to see more yards too but she said come on over so...)

Tia

Visit site
Good luck!!

Shouldn't worry about the pregnancy thing - I still ran my yard as well whilst pregnant and then after the birth, as I did before.........baby pouches are fantastic!!

4whitesocks

Visit site
just back from that yard......it's very basic and no schooling (which I don't have a problem with as such...) just didn't get a hugely encouraging vibe off her - no problem with feeding, rugging etc but she doesn't seem to be in horses that long - I know that sounds a bit snobby but my last yard (oh why oh why did she have to have a bloomin' baby!!) had been at it for years and knew soooo much, as in if horse looked off or I was have a problem with something when riding she could suggest a solution, I'm so bloody novice I need someone to help me.... (you see I really did have it very good...)....that was what appealed about the yard I'm in now (mind you how wrong was I there!!!)

anyway have told her I'll let her know - off to make some more phone calls

Patchwork

Visit site
Re. Not enough haylage given in the morning situation: Make up your own haynet for the next day in the evening 'to make things easier for them' and tie it up outside your horse's stable - until you find another yard.

smile.gif

Stella

Visit site
Ahh Whitesocks, sorry to hear how things are. I have been there and got the T-shirt more than once. No, not all livery yards are like this, but there are problems at lots of them. It seems we nearly always have to compromise on something, but I draw the line at lack of forage and water and my horse not being turned-out as agreed. These things are to important too the health and happiness of our horses.

So yes, I'd move him. Don't worry too much about the disruption, he's not settled yet by the sound of it, so he might as well be settling somewhere better. Also, not everything will change, you are a constant figure to him
smile.gif

Something I've learned is just drop in at the new place after work. Hopefully, you will get a chance to speak to other liveries without the yard owner around. Then when you discuss things with the YO, however enthusiastic you are, don't commit yourself. Drop in again another time (Maybe a Saturday). Oh, and don't believe in anything that is planned, but not there yet. Alarmingly often, the plans never come to fruition even when they are said to be 'just around the corner'! If they do its a bonus.

Good luck.

flyingfeet

Visit site
First thing I would do is have a chat to them - you ought to tell them that the horses are out of water, as it may sound stupid, but they might not realise.

Depending on the situation it might be that the yard owner is relying on a manager and they may be interested to know that they are not performing properly.

If they won't do anything then the only option is to move. I agree with the posts above, this day in age ad lib water and forage is a must.

tarbra

www.lulu.com
There are some very good livery yards out there, this doesn’t sound like one of them
frown.gif
! I would be off like a rocket.

Having run my own yard people who run yards like this piddle me off! My liveries were treated like my own horses, with love affection and plenty of everything. A number of horses/ponies that have come to my yard over the years arrived in very poor condition leaving looking a picture of health, overweight if anything.

I had one in particular horse (a well known Grade A weaver) who arrived in my yard having been at livery at some very expensive yards before and always looking like a hat rack, thin is not a word that would cover it
mad.gif
. When he left he was lovely, well covered, big rounded hind quarters, looked like a different horse and fit as a fiddle. After he left our yard no other yard could afford to let him loose condition again! However, it actually cost me more than I charged for his livery to get him right, but hell I love horses, and I think that is the point, find a yard were not only do the yard owners know what they are doing, but that they also really do love horses.

Have fun
smile.gif
, and good luck in finding the right home for you horse, Linda