What would you do? New horse decision.

TheBlackMoth

Visit site
I am buying a horse for my daughter - it is our second horse - but I am not a horsey person so have no experience.

We have found a lovely horse and had her vetted. The vet said she is ok - she has passed the vetting - but she shakes her head when she is working and he said though it is ok at the moment - it can get worse and it is very hard to treat.

My daughter is really set on this horse and still wants me to buy her but I just don't know. I haven't been able to speak directly to the vet - he left a message on my answer phone.

I just don't know what to do - what would you do?

http://static.flickr.com/79/272173203_d3ae4d79d3.jpg

I tried to embed this picture - but don't seem to be able to.

welshpony

Visit site
What does your daughter want to do on the horse and how much are you paying? I found a horse that I was desperate to buy but because she shook her head when working then we couldn't insure her for the amount we were going to pay. Also, I think headshaking can get worse in the spring and extreme cases can make a horse unrideable...please correct me if I'm wrong.

Halfpass

Visit site
A friend of mine had a head shaker and in the summer months she would do it so violently that she would literally fall over!! A nose net did help but its still not the best thing really.
Also I know of another horse that did it and it was put down to an allergy and nothing helped it, turned out he had a fractured skull from somersaulting in the field.
Personally I would be really cautious as at this time of year as if its a true allergy head shake it wouldn't be too bad now.

Iestyn

Visit site
Walk away. Friends of ours have an 8yr old pony who has had to be retired. He didn't head shake when they first got him. It came on suddenly and became quite bad quite quickly. There are 1000's of horses available out there, why go and buy one that already has a problem? It will only ruin your daughter's enjoyment of her horse.

Parkranger

Visit site
Ty used to shake his head when ridden - it was due to too much tugging at his mouth by the riding school pupils.....I had the luxury of riding him at the school myself a few times and found that with the right contact he was fine - only does it when he wants to tank off now ....

Is it a riding thing (ie canter) or an allthe time thing? If it's all the time then def walk away

TheBlackMoth

Visit site
We only saw it a couple of times when she was ridden. She didn't do it all the time only when my daughter pulled on the reins to slow her down. The vet said it was very mild and only when she was worked.

LauraBR

Visit site
I'd walk away. If the vet brought it up I'd be concerned and TBH the fact this horse is thowing it's head around when your daughter is asking him to stop doesn't make it any less of a concern IMHO.

I'm assuming the vet looked at the horses teeth during the vetting and they were ok?

dwi

Visit site
My friends horse headshakes and it has gradually got worse and worse. The vet didn't find anything but the chiropractor now has. Its going to be a long road back for him. I would say walk away, there are plenty of other horses out there.

Iestyn

Visit site
Yep...and it's the middle of Ocober. Most headshaking is pollen related, so it wouldn't be as bad at this time of the year. My friend's pony had a light-related condition and this time of year has generally no problem, but when it's bright you can't lead him or ride him. Why do you think they have waited until this time of year to sell if there is a headshaking problem? Also, most headshaking worsens as time goes by. I may be being pessimistic, but if you are buying for your daughter (who is probably quite young and even though she may well be a good rider still won't have the experience to deal with a "difficult" horse) and you, as you have admitted are relatively inexperienced, then be very, very cautious. The tone of your posts seem to suggest that you have already made your mind up to buy the horse and just want reassuring, but most have warned you off her. Don't buy a problem - it will only cause heartache.

TheBlackMoth

Visit site
Thanks everyone for all your responses.

I am so sad - this is such a lovely horse - the girls had really fallen in love with her.

I also feel terrible because I rang the vets and the receptionist said that the horse was fine and had passed the vetting. She said the vet would ring me later to tell me about it.

I then rang the owners and they said the vet had said everything was fine and so I arranged to go tomorrow and collect her.

Then I got a message on my answerphone from the vet saying that the horse was fine - but he had noticed that she did shake her head a bit when in work. He said that it was very mild but these things could get worse so he just thought he would mention it.

So now I have to ring the owners tomorrow and discuss it with them. I feel terrible.

LauraBR

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
The tone of your posts seem to suggest that you have already made your mind up to buy the horse and just want reassuring, but most have warned you off her. Don't buy a problem - it will only cause heartache.

[/ QUOTE ]

You know what I wrote exactly the same thing and then decided I might be way off track so didn't post it.

LauraBR

Visit site
Aw... but there will be an even better horse out there
laugh.gif

Iestyn

Visit site
I'm surprised the vet passed her if he thought it was significant enough to mention it - but then he's covering his own back by telling you about the problem, then there's no comeback on him. Like we've all said, there are 1000's of good horses out there and even though your girls may be disappointed now there'll be another one just round the corner. I believe in fate...this could all go wrong. The vet noticed it whilst she was ridden for the vetting and you noticed it when your daughter rode her - it's quite consistent I would say.

I don't mean this to sound offensive, but I think you'd be very, very foolish to buy this mare, especially on the basis that your girls have "fallen in love with her".

welshpony

Visit site
I felt exactly the same as your daughter, I was desperate for my parents to buy me a horse that headshook but I managed to find another horse who is just as good, if not better. There are other horses out there!

SirenaXVI

s17.photobucket.com
Echo what the others are saying - headshakers can be impossible during the summer months and a lot are sold at this time of year because the symptoms are less severe.

Sorry but would not touch it with a bargepole
frown.gif

Salcey

Visit site
As an owner of a headshaker I find this thread hard. I didn't know she shook her head when I bought her. I find that different enviroments have different effects on her. She's still perfectly rideable as long as we don't go out when its starting to rain.
I guess if you looking for an uncomplicated horse that your duaghter can easily compete seriously on this horse may not be for you but I guess I just need to say that with mine I wouldn't swop her for the world and we still go out there and compete a local level jumping and have a fantastic time.