What would you do with this field

chaps89

Visit site
My lovely lovely yard owner has said I can do what I like with our paddock over summer.
It's about 1.2 acres, and according to an aerial view map app it's about 80/85m wide and about 220m long.
It's grazed all year round during the day by an older 13hh who is slightly tubby but has never had laminitis and my 14.2hh very good doer who has been borderline laminitis in the past.
The 14.2 is the dominant one so need to allow enough space for little one to get out of her way.
Previously mine would get footy and suffer more on short grass with no muzzle than long grass with a muzzle. She's very established and efficient at using her muzzle!

So, I think it's too narrow for a track, I could make an L shape maybe? Or allow them to eat say a third of the field down and hope the rest grows enough to open up for her to have her muzzle on (it's currently plenty long enough for her to be getting far more grass than she needs but definitely not long enough for her to be muzzled.) Not a huge fan of strip grazing unless more knowledgeable folk than I think it's ok? Or any other bright ideas?

Leo Walker

Visit site
if you make the track 12 feet wide, which is roughly 4m then you would still have a gap of 70m x 215m give or take in the middle, so I dont see why a track couldnt be used? The middle could be grazed with a muzzle once it was long enough.

HashRouge

Visit site
Don't have a circular track - just have one long, narrow strip. Your field is quite long, so should work well. You can then make it wider as needed when they want more grass. I'm trying this with my field this year!

Nudibranch

Visit site
You've plenty of room for a track - one side, L shaped, all the way round or even a figure of 8. My track is 400 by 10m, or 5m when the grass is growing like mad.

Reactions: DD

PapaverFollis

Visit site
My field last summer was about 40m wide and 100m long. I had a track with two horses (15.3 and 16.2) on that. Admittedly they got on very well with each other, Granny just giving in to all The Beast's demands basically. But it worked! Was about 5 - 6m down the long sides and the end bits were 20m wide at one end and about 15m wide at the other. Not including the dry ditches on 2 sides. I posted a video of them on it on another thread.

chaps89

Visit site
Thanks everyone.
I made a 'c' shape last night.
It's slightly wider than I'd normally do but I don't want little pony to get stuck anywhere, plus I didn't quite have enough tape to make it go any further!
It's better than it was, I'd say they have a third to a half of the field now and it should hopefully encourage them to move more.
They certainly had a good gallop about last night.