what would you do with this horse if you were in my position? Long!

Pancakes

Visit site
ok so come june i start my work placement i am hoping to do two 6month placements and for once would like to put myself first rather my horse (without comprimising his welfare) this may sound selfish but i feel this will be my only chance to take opportunities that i wouldnt be able to!
so i have several options.........
1) keep him and send him home for my mum to look after however he may not get ridden.
frown.gif

2)find him a loan home however i would have to advertise him as NO hacking as he can be very unpredictable (you no the whole shabang rears, naps, spins, bolts) so would someone really want such a horrible horse?!
crazy.gif

3) none of the above
tongue.gif

sorry 4got to mention selling is not really an option as he is my world even if he is as useful as a chocolate teapot
blush.gif

cookies if you have made it this far
crazy.gif
any suggestions i would be most greatful!!!

Dobby

Visit site
If he's the piebald in your sig then send him to me
grin.gif

If I were you, keep him and send him to your mum. No worries then about whether he'll be dangerous with someone else?

Pancakes

Visit site
unfortunatily not, it is the grey!
well it is the hacking that really concerns me as he is an absolute angel in an arena but is there people out there who would have horses that dont hack???
confused.gif

Pancakes

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Why can't you look after him yourself whilst doing work experience?

[/ QUOTE ]

i am looking at placements abroad as i really want to make the most of this opportunuity *selfish i know*
blush.gif

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Why can't you look after him yourself whilst doing work experience?

[/ QUOTE ]

i am looking at placements abroad as i really want to make the most of this opportunuity *selfish i know*
blush.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah, fair enough. And not selfish at all.

I'd send him home to mum.

FrodoBeutlin

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
is there people out there who would have horses that dont hack???
confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, of course! There will be people who just want a horse to school, not to hack. I, for instance, am not terribly interested in hacking and would much prefer to be left in a school
grin.gif

Good luck finding the right temporary home, and please don't consider yourself selfish. You're not at all - you do have to think about the future and choosing a work placement abroad might make a big difference on your CV.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
as you are not going to be about if something goes wrong or to keep an eye on him I think I would be nice to your mum.

Brummyrat

Visit site
Id send him to mum too if you can't think of anything else but not everyone wants to hack, why not ask around or put a card in a local tack shop, is he suitable for someone to ride in the school on, maybe have lessons on to improve their riding while you're away? I can't hack my boy very often because of traffic issues and tearing off on grass but we have a ball in the school doing all sorts, it keeps us both fit and keeps him thinking

hellspells

Visit site
I would possibly look into sending him home to your mum but looking into someone sharing him from here, gives you peace of mind and takes some of the responsibilty of your mum.

And while you can you have to do theses things so go for the overseas placement - good luck!

Mithras

Visit site
I was actually in the same position when I was a student! I had taken my 14.2 to uni with me and then did Erasmus for a year abroad. So I thought loaning was the ideal solution and he went to a slightly younger girl with helpful parents and knowledgeable YO. Unfortunately he got sent back after she fell off and broke her arm. He used to shy a bit but I used to hack him everywhere and do everything with him with no parental help. So advertised him for loan again and off he went to a similar girl but with farming parents and keeping him at home with her old pony. Again, sent back after 3 months as I suspect he was still shying and maybe wasn't well schooled enough for them to maybe do well at pony club activities.

By this time I had come to the conclusion that loaning was way more hassle than it was worth and that people don't really persist in working through problems if its not their own pony, so back to mum he had to go. In my case, mum had never had anything to do with horses and knew very little. So mum was instructed in great detail and it was all written down, and I went off with trepidation. What happened - mum took to it like a duck to water, loved it, I came back to a helpful and happy pony and was able to get him fit again over the summer.