What would you do with this horse?

Lill

Visit site
That has been jumped abroad at 1.40m and obviously done too much too soon and now jumping in a large arena with lots of jumps blows its brains . Has potential but obviously lost its confidence? Worth taking on? Or will it never be anywhere near that standard again?
confused.gif

Bossanova

Visit site
I'd jump at the chance- slow nurturing and lots of time and patience, he may well regain his confidence and show his scope again!!

Iestyn

Visit site
I nearly took on something earlier this year that was a bit similar. 16'3 Z bred horse - imported and then sold to petite lady. He had obviously ended up being taken to far too quickly and strapped down. He started rearing, scared lady and she tried all sorts of "sorting out" until she approached somebody I know on the day she planned on taking him to the knackers. Friend took him on but fell pregnant! I was looking at the beginning of the year for something that would dressage and jump. He never reared once with me the few times I tried him, but I always had it in the back of my mind that he potentially could - and that I think affected the way I rode him - I wasn't positive enough. There was no guarantee either that he'd cope with jumping again - which was what swayed it for me in the end not to take him on. However, since I broke my collar bone in May I know only want to do dressage and he would have been an amazing dressage horse and I think would have enjoyed it. I sometimes think "what if" and keep thinking I might see what my friend wants to do with him - she still has him and has just had another baby. But some other times I'm glad I only have one horse (not 2) as I can dedicate all my time to him. But he's injured at the mo and it would be nice to have something else to ride
crazy.gif
I think I'm glad I didn't go for him though

BroadfordQueen

Visit site
my chestnut is like that- won lots BSJA when he was young (although is only 8 now) and now bucks his brains out when he gets into an arena with jumps in- however we still bought him (although he was very cheap) as he was a fab hunter/ xc horse, but have started showjumping him again and although the first few times where a nightmare we are getting there slowly, and he has come 2nd in 2"9ft trailblazers with me already
grin.gif
although he still has his moments he is coming on very well as we have only had him for a couple of months- i would deff try him out if he isnt too expensive!

wizzi901

www.pony4u.co.uk
would def give it a go, but give him a nice long break from any jumping in arena!

My old boy (now 24) had been jumping all his life, BSJA mainly since 4-5 year old, big circuits 1.40's with much success, he got sour and although not jumped too soon too young had had a gutful.

I got him as a 16 year old and gave him a long break other than xc, bit of hunting and never wanted a "height" horse.

Took about 3 years to master him as he was trained so accurately and me being a relative novice as far as striding, he has to be put perfect at a fence or stops....we had a lot of that but I just did lots of really small fun stuff.

We built our confidence together and couple of years ago he was at the height of his "unaffiliated" career!! - we had so many wins!!

He is good now for a 24 year old but soon has enough and I give him time out from jumping. We go to cricklands next april and then I will probs retire him from competition altogether as his heart isnt always in it anymore and he is feeling his age bless him.

However, with time, there is no reason why you cannot regain this horses trust and confidence, but just give it a real break and chuck in lots of fun, let it be a horse for a while....my old boy has given me 6-7 good years of jumping bless him!!

BBs

Visit site
I would give it a go, just be prepaired to take it slowly and quietly
smile.gif

Litterally take it back 10 odd steps - I remember a guy many years ago from ireland had a super horse sent over to him from his brother. The horse had been jumped internationally, however still quite young. Unfortuntely it had had all sorts dont to it - such a shame!
At a local show it went into the 2ft novice jumping, and went through the classes that day until it reached the open lol
Myles was super, and was very quiet, we're talking a 5ft nothing irish guy and a 17h+ horse - but it didnt matter,he took it steady and that horse went back jumping again
smile.gif

Just give it a chance - very good luck to you
smile.gif
how exciting!

Vx

luane1

Visit site
We have similar horse, have had him since July and we are taking it slowly and hopefully the patience and hard work will pay off and he will come good again in the big arena. He cant walk over a pole, he charges, if he or anyone else knocks a pole down in the practice arena then it's the end of the world and he absolutely freaks. Sweats up, gets so worried.

Saying all this he is gorgeous and is trusting us now more and more in the stable. We have taken him out to jump some 1m classes for fun as he was jumping 1.40 before us and he is beginning to realise that there is no pressure on him. We dont jump much at home but are putting all the effort into his flat work.

Good luck if you go for it.

Lill

Visit site
Hmmmm so worth giving it a go then by sounds of it!!

Think may be going to see it Thursday evening so will check out what kind of state its in then. If we do get it will probably chuck it in the field to chill until the end of January and then go back to the beginning. Its at a dealers at the moment and they don't have time to sort it out so want it gone pronto...

flower

Visit site
If you want it to jump 1.40 tracks I'd say no it's not worth it. Ones that will consistently jump that sort of track with an amateur and make a good job of it are very rate and if it's going to do that job again I'd have thought that any dealer (especially if it's a jumping one) would bring it back up themselves.

If you want it to jump small tracks and the price is OK then it may be worth it.

Personally I wouldn't though.