What would you do

MissBay

Visit site
Friend owns a DIY yard on of her liverys are terrible horses feet are a mess only has one shoe left on and u can bearly see it said horse is supposed to be about 17 has no neck and can feel ribs through heavy weight rug horse hasn't been seen without rug on for months he does get brought in at night with full haynet and water but gets fed cheapest of cheap .. I personally don't get how people can treat there pets like that the owner doesn't work always goes on about her benders at weekend yet can't afford to shoe horse .. Friend is giving her a writin warning after two verbals then it will get handed to RSPCA to deal with ...sorry long and bit of a rant

Tinypony

Visit site
I think the friend has waited too long and should call World Horse Welfare now (not RSPCA). I think most responsible YO's would have taken the rug off long ago and had a look for themselves.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
YO has a duty of care.

I suggest that they examine the horse carefully - removing it's rug to check body score etc. They need to ensure that the horse has enough hay so that there is some left in the morning, and also consider supplementing the horses feed (again at a cost to the owner).

Then make an appointment to get it's feet attended to - and bill the owner.

They should also contact the BHS welfare line and ask for their advice on how to deal with the situation.

LiveryList

www.*******.co.uk
I think something needs to be done about this as long as there is no medical reason as to why the horse should be in such a bad condition. I have always had in my livery agreements that all liveries horses should be kept well maintained, fed properly and adequately and kept in a decent condition otherwise action will be taken (i think one of the clauses was that if their feet get terrible i would call the farrier as a matter of welfare charge this to the horse owner) . But i woudl call the welfare authorities and maybe get your friend to review her yard policies so she can take action if this should happen to her in the future :s

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
I think something needs to be done about this as long as there is no medical reason as to why the horse should be in such a bad condition. I have always had in my livery agreements that all liveries horses should be kept well maintained, fed properly and adequately and kept in a decent condition otherwise action will be taken (i think one of the clauses was that if their feet get terrible i would call the farrier as a matter of welfare charge this to the horse owner) . But i woudl call the welfare authorities and maybe get your friend to review her yard policies so she can take action if this should happen to her in the future :s

Yes I agree with this. YO should be aware that IF an animal in her/his care is in poor condition then the RSPCA are liable to visit.

So I would seek advice from the BHS Legal Peeps and WHW about the best way to proceed.

With my liveries I insist in the contract they sign that the horse will be cared for, wormed & shod, properly and at appropriate intervals, and that if the condition of any horse gives cause for concern that the owner must call the vet; and that if this isn't done then the YO has to the right to do so on their own bat and the owner will be billed.

So I think your friend the YO might be advised to ask a vet to examine the animal concerned and prepare a report outlinging its condition and any treatment advised; and YO should then bill the owner for this.

Basically, this is a situation that should possibily have been dealt with before now? Easy to criticise I know, but if appropriate measures are put in place then situations like this can be avoided and/or dealt with at an earlier stage.

But YO needs to cover herself or else she may well be held responsible for the condition of the animal; which is why I am suggesting the vet opinion.