Hello everyone

What would you expect to pay for:

Around 3 yo, not backed
To make 15.2hh or thereabouts
Nice nature, easy to do
Future as a nice hack / lower level dressage and jumping
Has traveled / well handled / seen farrier / not feral
No veterinary issues beyond minor things

For type context, would be looking along the lines of PBA, Anglo Arab, Welsh x TB, Connie x TB etc. Fun, forward, lighter type and not necessarily competitive.

I’m in the South East as a general guide but I would travel.

Colour not important but one I am looking at happens to be a ‘pretty’ colour so would be good to have an idea if you think that would push up the price.

LadyGascoyne

Visit site
Thank you - chestnut is my favourite colour 😊 I’ll definitely add to the list.

Happy with any colour, but I would be interested to know others felt it was something that might contribute to a higher price when shopping in the happy hacker category.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site

LadyGascoyne

Visit site
Cream dilute at a low price. He looks like a youngster that would be worth a view. He doesn't fit your criteria exactly though.

https://www.preloved.co.uk/adverts/show/118697076/stunning-dun-arab-x-section-d.html?link=/search?keyword=arab&sectionId=3365&orderBy=mostRecent&page=5

No not so much, but the chestnut mare is lovely. She is really very pretty.

Does £1.5k seem like a reasonable price point for what I’m looking for?

Eta flaxen chestnut is nice and close! Might email today.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Unbacked, high % arab part breds are usually good value for money, so yes, you should be able to find something for £1500. It's sad really, I bought my chestnut anglo-arab mare in 2006 for £1500, it seems that the same price could buy me a similar horse now. :(

ihatework

Visit site
If you aren’t fussy on bloodlines, and will accept some conformational fault I think you will reasonably easily find an unbacked crossbred for 1.5k

LadyGascoyne

Visit site
If you aren’t fussy on bloodlines, and will accept some conformational fault I think you will reasonably easily find an unbacked crossbred for 1.5k

Thanks, I’ve just started looking and I’m trying to gauge what is reasonable. I found one for £2k that I like the look but it’s a dilute and I wondered whether £2k was reflective of the colouring.

I’m happy to spend more, it’s just I don’t really want to be paying for perceived value due to ‘premium’ colouring when I’m not fazed if it’s green with purple spots.

If it’s a reasonably well put together unbacked cross breed, and it’s £2k and apparently very easy to do, does that feel about right? Considering no competitive future and from no specific lines.

ihatework

Visit site
2k is more than fair. It just depends on type and how desperate the seller is to be honest.

If it’s been reared well then paying 1K a year isn’t really too much to expect is it?

That doesn’t mean you can’t find cheaper, but you would would risk offending someone genuine by telling them a 2/3/4K horse wasn’t worth it!

LadyGascoyne

Visit site
2k is more than fair. It just depends on type and how desperate the seller is to be honest.

If it’s been reared well then paying 1K a year isn’t really too much to expect is it?

That doesn’t mean you can’t find cheaper, but you would would risk offending someone genuine by telling them a 2/3/4K horse wasn’t worth it!

Thanks, very good points. It does sound like it’s very sensible and easy for its age. It’s also good with the farrier, good to bath, good to travel etc. so there is value in that to me.

Maybe I’m being more cautious due to the colour. If it was a bay or a chestnut, and I liked it, I probably wouldn’t be considering what the price is attributed to, I’d just like the horse.

Probably being very silly.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
£2000 is not much for a really lovely youngster. If they tick all you boxes, have good conformation, a nice trainable temperament and most of all you like them - think of the pretty colour as the cherry on the cake. :D

Mule

Visit site
Cream dilute at a low price. He looks like a youngster that would be worth a view. He doesn't fit your criteria exactly though.

https://www.preloved.co.uk/adverts/show/118697076/stunning-dun-arab-x-section-d.html?link=/search?keyword=arab&sectionId=3365&orderBy=mostRecent&page=5
He's showing the whites of his eyes though. I've always run away from them because all the crazy, unpredictable and downright dangerous horses I've known have had this trait :eek: * shuddering at the thought of one in particular.

LadyGascoyne

Visit site
£2000 is not much for a really lovely youngster. If they tick all you boxes, have good conformation, a nice trainable temperament and most of all you like them - think of the pretty colour as the cherry on the cake. :D

Yes, if the videos look promising, I’ll think I’ll go and have a look. It just looked like it had personality, and something about it that made me smile.

Hormonal Filly

Visit site
I bought a 3yr old, to make 15h for £350 4 years ago now. He was well handled, not been backed. He’s a lovely chap. It was in winter and she reduced him from £1500 as she wanted him gone.

I’d want to spend up to £1000 unless you wanted something super fancy. Keep your eye out for a bargain

Surbie

Visit site
I like his spots, his ears, and his face, though my eyes aren't up to seeing the legs in detail on the shady pics. I freely admit I don't know enough about conformation so if I ever go to see a horse I'll take someone with me who does. I would love a spotty one day.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
What is gorgeous about him ?

4292-0095a4b49cbf09530d46c0cb570c6e9f.jpg
He has a really good shoulder, generous length of rein and well set on head, good depth and a good barrel, bit light of bone and tight beneath the hock, but the leg is clean and pastern angles are good. I like him for what he is , a part-bred arab, with spots!

Lois Lame

Visit site
Hello everyone

What would you expect to pay for:

Around 3 yo, not backed
To make 15.2hh or thereabouts
Nice nature, easy to do
Future as a nice hack / lower level dressage and jumping
Has traveled / well handled / seen farrier / not feral
No veterinary issues beyond minor things

For type context, would be looking along the lines of PBA, Anglo Arab, Welsh x TB, Connie x TB etc. Fun, forward, lighter type and not necessarily competitive.

I’m in the South East as a general guide but I would travel.

Colour not important but one I am looking at happens to be a ‘pretty’ colour so would be good to have an idea if you think that would push up the price.

Hell yeah. I wouldn't necessarily pay the wanted price though.

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
You could pay £300 for it, you could pay £4k. I wouldn't say that one is right and one is wrong, £4k is probably the real cost of a 3yo with plain breeding.

I have three matching that description when I bought them (though one smaller and one taller), and I paid £1200, £875 and £300 for them. One of them has a physical defect that reduces market value.

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
4292-0095a4b49cbf09530d46c0cb570c6e9f.jpg
He has a really good shoulder, generous length of rein and well set on head, good depth and a good barrel, bit light of bone and tight beneath the hock, but the leg is clean and pastern angles are good. I like him for what he is , a part-bred arab, with spots!

I agree, he looks like he will be a nice riding horse. Not a show horse probably, but who wants that.

TheMule

Visit site
To get a nice young horses who has had proper care and management you've got to expect to pay at least 1k per year. Of course there are situations which mean that people need to cut their losses and sell quickly, I have brought several nice unbacked horses with nice breeding for around 1k, some have worked out, some haven't