What would you expect to pay

Lammy

Visit site
A friend bought a rising 3 Appy x tb last year for 1.5k and he was up for 1.8k so I’d say there’s always room to put an offer in first on these types of horses. Especially if they’re on livery.

The guy my friend bought is not the prettiest thing in the world although appy lovers would probably love his roan/spotty coat. He is very well put together though and will definitely event, she also bought him at around 16hh and is pushing 16.3hh/17hh now so good job she wanted something big. He was a bargain, the person who spotted his ad did very well :p

windand rain

Visit site
I would expect to pay up to £2000 for a mixed breed two year old and at least £3000 for a 3 year old and would consider that cheap if its properly raised and a nice horse to handle then it should be a lot more as it has had time put into it

Palindrome

Visit site

LadyGascoyne

Visit site

LadyGascoyne

Visit site
I would expect to pay up to £2000 for a mixed breed two year old and at least £3000 for a 3 year old and would consider that cheap if its properly raised and a nice horse to handle then it should be a lot more as it has had time put into it

Feels like £2k is about right for the one I’m looking at then. Coming up to 3, not badly put together but not a text book example, and sounds like it’s been well handled.

Reactions: DD

DD

Visit site
And there lies the hint. There will be a reason he is cheap, he cost many times his price to breed, keep the mare, foal down and raise to 3.
yes the breeder of these charges around £2000 per foal. I think people get them to 2 or 3 years old then find they don't have the time/knowhow/energy to back and school to a good standard so advertise them for sale. not necessarily in this case we don't know the reasons why its for sale, but just generally I've known this to be the case.

windand rain

Visit site
Two year olds are often cheaper than foals as they dont have the cute baby factor and it s a while until you should do anything with them so it s a bit of an in between time

Last edited:

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Two year olds are often cheaper than foals as they dont have the cute baby factor and it s a while until you should do anything with them so it s a bit of an in between time

I used to have quite a career buying up fugly 2 year olds that owners were confused by.....They often go through an ugly stage then, and I'm quite good at seeing the swan in the duckling :)

Goldenstar

Visit site
4292-0095a4b49cbf09530d46c0cb570c6e9f.jpg
He has a really good shoulder, generous length of rein and well set on head, good depth and a good barrel, bit light of bone and tight beneath the hock, but the leg is clean and pastern angles are good. I like him for what he is , a part-bred arab, with spots!

I like him too ,I think he will make a lovely small light weight horse I would have him if I was not 58 with five horses etc etc .
Of course you would need to make sure he moved straight .

conniegirl

Visit site
What is gorgeous about him ?
I agree I can’t see the appeal
4292-0095a4b49cbf09530d46c0cb570c6e9f.jpg
He has a really good shoulder, generous length of rein and well set on head, good depth and a good barrel, bit light of bone and tight beneath the hock, but the leg is clean and pastern angles are good. I like him for what he is , a part-bred arab, with spots!
The hind leg angles are scary

Goldenstar

Visit site
Nah, don't scare me: he's still got some growing to go to level up, and the picture has him with the near hind under, properly stood up I think he'd be grand

I think so to
He’s probably won’t have the engine to be a Grand Prix horse but so what .

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
You definitely need the Vet's opinion about that.

One of mine has had several lumps removed, plus treated with Liverpool cream. It is horrible for the horse and expensive. One thing that I have learnt though is that just because it looks like a sarcoid or melanoma, it doesn't mean that it is. On histology at the lab, most of my mare's lumps turned out to be fungal. So...

maya2008

Visit site
I have always paid just under £1k for something that will make large pony rather than horse. Always good temperament. Not always travelled/well handled though!