What would you feed this horse?

Kadastorm

Visit site
Pony was obese when first purchased - 5yr old, 13.2hh NF gelding, 420kg on tape.
It has taken over a year but he is now 360kg.

He is in rehab work for PSD and Navicular so currently walking for 45minutes under saddle per day increasing every two weeks by 5 minutes. He has no grass in his current paddock but when we move yards he will have a large paddock that will be sectioned into 3 for rotation. At the end of the month he will be coming in over night.

What would YOU feed him?

Current YO thinks he needs something else as I only feed him chaff and baileys lo cal balancer AM and PM, he currently has a couple of wedges of hay AM and PM. When we move he will have grass and a huge haynet over night plus his morning and evening feeds. He also has Top Spec 10:10 Joint Supplement.

be positive

Visit site
I would be feeding him as you are except the hay would be soaked and I would probably use fast fibre instead of chaff but it is much the same, he is better off a little under weight with his ongoing problems and will not require more feed until he is actually working, if he even needs it then.

ellie11987

Visit site
Current YO thinks he needs something else as I only feed him chaff and baileys lo cal balancer AM and PM, he currently has a couple of wedges of hay AM and PM. When we move he will have grass and a huge haynet over night plus his morning and evening feeds. He also has Top Spec 10:10 Joint Supplement.

Fast fibre with either pro hoof or a forage plus balancer. Might be worth noting that not all bf horses get on with Topspec