What would you feed?

Shavings

Visit site
So Chance has been fedd happy hoof, another horse on the yard went of it so we were given the bag just after Christmas.

he doesn’t need a feed he is a good doer he just gets a sprinkle for breakfast as if he gets nothing he boots the door wile the rest get feed!

he has crappy front hooves they clip all the time!

so what would you feed him?

beed to get feed Sunday

Shavings

Visit site
Equimins Advance Complete. Its the best spec reasonably priced one available. If the feet really are an issue you could go for the better spec and more money progressive earth or forage plus, top of the range ones, but I find Equimins to be brilliant and more than adequate.
He refuses to eat pro earth so that’s out!

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
He refuses to eat pro earth so that’s out!

Have you tried it in Saracen Re-leve? It swells a lot wet so you don't need much and it was the only thing my fussy eater would eat his minerals in.

As for supplements, nothing with any added iron or manganese. That limits you a lot.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
So Chance has been fedd happy hoof, another horse on the yard went of it so we were given the bag just after Christmas.

he doesn’t need a feed he is a good doer he just gets a sprinkle for breakfast as if he gets nothing he boots the door wile the rest get feed!

he has crappy front hooves they clip all the time!

so what would you feed him?

beed to get feed Sunday
I like simple sytems feeds

My equine life

Visit site
Just add a vit/ min supplement into his happyhoof. I like the naf ones or pink powder. You could give him biotin for his feet as well. But all horses should get there vits in some way shape or form. This is easiest from and all round supplement.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Just add a vit/ min supplement into his happyhoof. I like the naf ones or pink powder. You could give him biotin for his feet as well. But all horses should get there vits in some way shape or form. This is easiest from and all round supplement.

Horses grazing grass and fed well made unsoaked forage shouldn't need added vitamins, this is a myth dreamed up by horse food and supplement manufacturers.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
ditto if didn't like the pro_earth Id go with the equimins, it smells a bit but has always gone done well here (one v. short period where he left the pellets, so I switched to powder but back on pellets the last 3 years without issue.

J&S

Visit site
Horses grazing grass and fed well made unsoaked forage shouldn't need added vitamins, this is a myth dreamed up by horse food and supplement manufacturers.
I was just going to comment something similar. I have never fed any supplement except in a really specific need short term, and my ponies have fab feet and lovely coats.

dixie

Visit site
I know people rubbish Top Spec but I’ve always had good results with their comprehensive supplement which has Biotin in. My horses feet have improved enormously.

Landcruiser

Visit site
For crappy hooves I definitely wouldn't be feeding Happy Hoof, which contains molasses. They do a molasses free version now, but I'd still avoid. I'd recommend Agrobs, Thunderbrooks, or Simple Systems for a good chaff, plus as others have said a good balancer. Plus salt, and micronised linseed.

J&S

Visit site
I feed Happy Hoof, molasses free. As I have said above ponies have fab feet. Just had the farrier the other day and despite all this wet no problems of any sort, one is barefoot and the other gets shod on the fronts. Having said I do not feed supplements, they do get additional salt and a spoonful of limestone flour, but the cost of both of these is so minimal, unlike the "named" brands.