What would you have done?

FanyDuChamp

Visit site
Fany, for those who don't know, is an Ardennes ( Trait Ardennais) draft horse. She has been itchy and has rubbed herself, so not being ridden at present. I decided to take her for a walk, usually she walks out beautifully in hand and is an angel. Today we were fine until we turned down the dirt road to the back of the yard. She heard one of the herd shout her and answered then took off trotting. I tried to turn her and pull her up and she simply refused. Another shout from her BF and she was off at a canter! I simply could not hold her, I tried digging my heels in, I tried turning and shouting at her, she was oblivious. I ended up having to let go, luckily it was on the drive at the back of the yard, no traffic or anything but it could have been horrendous.

From now on she will go out for her walks in her bridle/ bit.

This is so unlike her, she has always walked out beautifully and is such a calm, gentle mare.She is so incredibly strong but never usually takes advantage of it. It also goes to show they are unpredictable animals, also that you should always wear gloves, my hands are agony now!

So what would you have done?

FDC

Cuppatea

www.facebook.com
dont know what i would do but in the past i have inadvertantly jumped onto a horses shoulder/wither as he was having a spin around, rear attack instead of jumping away (i think i went to jump back but tbhe horse jumped into me so i ended up sort of being scooped up by the horse) and the horse was so surprised it stopped instantly and walked beautifully to where we were supposed to be going but wouldnt stop looking at me with a curious shocked expression....! :D
i doubt i would ever be able to do it again on purpose, but it worked that time!

FanyDuChamp

Visit site
Not sure my back etc. would let me leap on now. She just took off no rearing/ spinning just started off in trot, heard another call and started cantering. Too strong to hold back and no way I could keep up so had to let go. Little monkey!
FDC

diet2ride

Visit site
Doesn't sound like much you could of done, I have a cob, who when he wants to go nothing is stopping him, he caught me of guard a few weeks ago when he was spooked in his field came flying out the gate went up and got his front leg over the lead rein. No way could I have stopped him, still scary though watching your horse go of without you.

Now if I,m leading him anywhere different from yard to field, it's the bridle for him.

Kellys Heroes

Visit site
Not much you could have done! I think the easiest and safest option was to let go - this happened to me many years ago in the field (she bombed back to her friends away from me) and I managed to throw the leadrope over her back and let her go. From now on, I try and keep my hand near the clip when walking across the field so if she feels like she is going to pratt about I can just unclip her!
Just lucky that you were where you were and it wasn't dangerous to let go
K x

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
I wouldn't dream of leading out in a headcollar for a start, always a bridle for that very reason.
But if it still happened, I'd be dragging it back there and doing it again and again all the while keeping a very firm hold and reminding it I was there and to be obeyed, no messing and I would be very stroppy about it if it was stroppy to me too.

PS, I always wear gloves when I'm handling them except for grooming of course; it's easy enough to take them off but if you don't have them on you can be caught out as you were.

Last edited:

FanyDuChamp

Visit site
I wouldn't dream of leading out in a headcollar for a start, always a bridle for that very reason.
But if it still happened, I'd be dragging it back there and doing it again and again all the while keeping a very firm hold and reminding it I was there and to be obeyed, no messing and I would be very stroppy about it if it was stroppy to me too.

PS, I always wear gloves when I'm handling them except for grooming of course; it's easy enough to take them off but if you don't have them on you can be caught out as you were.

I agree with the bridle if she had ever behaved in any kind of was, she has always been an absolute saint. (famous last words eh?) Still lesson learnt and now she is going in a bridle. She was caught and walked out again and she behaved perfectly. Hopefully just a blip. It is so out of character for her.

I am no pushover in the being stroppy department myself. Just got a bit complacent because of previous behaviour. It just goes to show doesn't it?

FDC

MinskiKaii

Visit site
I definately agree on the bridle point.

If I have to lead any that are likely to tank off on me. I always turn my hand over one that I'm leading with, so the thumb is pointing down, this makes your elbow stick out towards the horse. Then if they start to pull, push my elbow into the horse neck and bend their head towards me. This bends the neck, if the neck is bent they can't sent it against you, which significantly reduces how much strenght they have to pull you with.

Last edited:

FanyDuChamp

Visit site
I definately agree on the bridle point.

If I have to lead any that is likely to tank off on me. I always turn my hand over on that I'm leading with, so the thumb is pointing down, this makes your elbow stick out towards the horse. Then if they start to pull, push my elbow into the horse neck and bend their head towards me. This bends the neck, if the neck is bent they can't sent it against you, which significantly reduces how much strenght they have to pull you with.

Will definitely be the bridle from now on.

Elizabeth, my daughter who was grooming Captain on the yard, has just said that Fany's adopted baby was shouting her head off which is probably what started her off. Anyway she lead out beautifully again so hopefully she'll have learnt her lesson. I know I have! Never ever be complacent, even the gentlest, most easy going horse can surprise you.
FDC

nikkimariet

Visit site
Sounds like you did all you could! I would have probably let go, not a fan of being dragged along the ground....

You say she isn't being ridden at mo, maybe she just had a little extra fizz and forgot how big and strong she can be?!!

Did you take her out in a headcollar? Maybe try bridle next time?

JFTDWS

Visit site
One of mine is like a dog on a lead, totally angelic, but the other is a bit of a twit and has done this to me coming up from the field (occasionally after dark a badger or something will be plotting his destruction or something ;) ) so if I have any doubts I put his bridle on now. When they decide to be like that I think there's very little you can do - they have the strength advantage for sure and I've never been able to hold mine (and he's a lot smaller than yours!).

autumn7

Visit site
Exactly the same as you did under the circumstances, especially knowing she was heading for the safety of the yard. She's obviously feeling spring in the air and forgot herself for a moment.

A Be Nice halter and 12 foot lead rope would be first choice for my "little french floosie" (Cob Normand) in such circumstances. This also puts one in a very safe position too should heels fly. Day to day turning out etc. I just use a headcollar, as, like Fany, mine is polite to lead, but it'd be the pressure halter for more serious walks in hand off the premises.

I discovered the halter/12 ft rope combination when she was a headstrong four year old when it was frequently a saving grace. She's happy in this and understands how it works and I'm happy that I know I can control her tonnage should she choose to play up since adverse behaviour can easily be nipped in the bud.

Oh, and wear gloves...always!!!

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
I agree with the bridle if she had ever behaved in any kind of was, she has always been an absolute saint. (famous last words eh?) Still lesson learnt and now she is going in a bridle. She was caught and walked out again and she behaved perfectly. Hopefully just a blip. It is so out of character for her.

I am no pushover in the being stroppy department myself. Just got a bit complacent because of previous behaviour. It just goes to show doesn't it?

FDC

Lol, we had a hunter here that would lull you into a false sense of security, you'd forget and he'd be a saint to lead for days/weeks in a headcollar then would tank off almost before you got the door open another time and would be gone into the distance. Put a bridle on and he was always a saint, never misbehaved and it was always a bit easier than traipsing about looking for him.
It's a hard lesson to learn but until it's happened to you it's not something you think about or think is ever likely to happen with something that's normally a dope on a rope; once it's happened, you're always on your guard.
Main thing is you were both safe even if your pride was hurt. :)

Vixen Van Debz

Visit site
I giggled like a school girl at your Itchy Fany thread... sorry to hear she's still suffering!

Is she coming in season, therefore making the call of her BF even more irresistable?

I hate rope burn. I recommend Sudocream gloves!

Pedantic

Visit site
We all get caught out, my boy got away from me 3 times yesterday while trying to load onto the trailer, I know what he does and how he does it, but still I end up too far to one side due to the trailer ramp, I obviously make sure all the gates are closed so there is nowhere to go, now you know it can happen just be as ready as you can be for other times.

jokadoka

Visit site
I think I would have been swearing a lot and then breaking in to a sweat trying to catch the bugger up :)!

Good to know other people have "incidents" too!!

ISHmad

Visit site
Is she in season? Wonder if that's why she acted out of character like that. A bridle sounds like the best option for a while, you can still have a headcollar or halter underneath but the bridle there in case of emergency.

FanyDuChamp

Visit site
Have made sure she had a bridle on in the first instance.........:eek:

Hindsight, the best sight of all.

Update, she has now been out twice since the "incident" she has been as good as gold. Even when the yard's Shettie escaped and cantered after her, she was perfect waited for him and he trotted back to the yard with her (he adores her) she was foot perfect. (sounds like horses run around at will on our yard, not at all! Just impossible to keep the shettie in when he wants to be with Fany :eek::p:D) Mind Shetlands are like the escape artists of the equine world generally and he is just the Houdini of the Shetlands.:D Gorgeous though.

Sudacream has so many uses and my hands are feeling a lot better.

Thanks for all the answers, she is in season so maybe that was her issue or could be she had a blip, we all do at times don't we?

FDC

Spyda

Visit site
Is she in season? Wonder if that's why she acted out of character like that. A bridle sounds like the best option for a while, you can still have a headcollar or halter underneath but the bridle there in case of emergency.

Ditto! She's too darned big and heavy for you to hold in just a headcollar when she sets her mind to tank off. Is she in season? Also, if she's on grass ATM she could be feeling the 'spring grass' already.

Pipkin

Visit site
Um I`d have let go lol...being dragged hurts! But def lead out in a bridle next time or even a controller head collar.
I use a lunge line if leading a difficult horse (not saying Fanny is difficult I know she`s not) but it does give me that little bit more leverage incase they try tanking off, can put the weight through your hip and it does turn a horse around..

Pipkin

Visit site
Not really. Just common sense.........

I can never understand people taking their horses for a 'walk' in just a headcollar.

Why not???? I`ve had way more control over a number of horses in a dually than in a bridle. Not had any tank off with me in a dually, neither have they reared, yet my youngster will quite happily do both in a bridle...he respects the dually doesn't give a damn about the bridle.

flowerlady

Visit site
Ditto! She's too darned big and heavy for you to hold in just a headcollar when she sets her mind to tank off. Is she in season? Also, if she's on grass ATM she could be feeling the 'spring grass' already.

Would have to say even a shetland if they put their mind to it pound for pound they would win each time:D

ISHmad

Visit site
Not really. Just common sense.........

I can never understand people taking their horses for a 'walk' in just a headcollar.

Normally agree with most of your posts Amymay but will have to agree to disagree with you on that one. All except one of ours goes out in a headcollar for walks and frantically touching wood I've never had a problem. The biggest challenge in fact is stopping them snatching at grass.

Sorry for taking the thread off tangent FDC, just wanted to say you are not alone in using a headcollar.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Normally agree with most of your posts Amymay but will have to agree to disagree with you on that one. All except one of ours goes out in a headcollar for walks and frantically touching wood I've never had a problem. The biggest challenge in fact is stopping them snatching at grass.

Sorry for taking the thread off tangent FDC, just wanted to say you are not alone in using a headcollar.

Life would be very boring if we all agreed :D

I just think it's not worth taking the risk - so would always use a bridle. For those that consider the risk negligable or nill, a headcollar works very well. Except in the case of the OP - where clearly it didn't ;)

Bug2007

Visit site
I expect she'll come into season any day.....spring has sprung and a lot of horses are having a naughty couple of weeks. The sun does nothing for the control we had in the winter!!!!:D