What would you have done?

rascal

Visit site
Not sure we did the right thing.
We have a welsh c out on loan, the pony has a super home, and until recently we thought her loan family were happy. They have had her for several years. A while ago the lady asked to buy her, and we said no, what happens if they are unable to keep her? Once before they said she must come back, then changed their minds.
A few days ago, they phoned to say she must come back as soon as we can arrange it. Im wondering if its because we said no to selling the pony??? What would you have done? Its going to be hard finding a home for her at the moment.

Adopter

Visit site
I think when I got over the shock of an unexpected phone call, I would ring back and try to find out more. There could be many reasons for the decision, including the possibility of a problem with the pony, loss of income, and you need more information before you decide what to do next.

Wheels

Visit site
Could be a variety of reasons, maybe they really want to buy their own horse and as you won't sell they want to send the loan horse back to make room for their own?

I would just call and ask the reasons for sending back in case there is something you need to know prior to the return

rascal

Visit site
They have both loan ponies and the ones they own. They have a few on loan, not just ours.
Once before they said all the loan ponies must go back, then kept them. This time I don't think that is going to happen.

rascal

Visit site
Start advertising her again for loan, if they want to return her not much else you can do - that's the risk with loaning

Yes that is the risk with loaning, but at least if she comes back to us we know where she is. That's why we have ponies out on loan, so we know where they are.
We did take this pony away from one loan home as they let her get way too fat, if we had sold her we couldn't have done that. There are lots of ponies around that need a good home, it will be hard.

Last edited:

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Yes that is the risk with loaning, but at least if she comes back to us we know where she is. That's why we have ponies out on loan, so we know where they are.
We did take this pony away from one loan home as they let her get way too fat, if we had sold her we couldn't have done that. There are lots of ponies around that need a good home, it will be hard.

So what were you expecting? That the pony would stay with them forever? Surely the point of loaning is that at some stage the pony will come back to you. I suggest that you keep her with you over the winter and advertise her in spring when there will be more people looking to loan.

ridefast

Visit site

If she's a nice pony, fit and healthy and able to do a job I don't think you'll have trouble finding a new home for her. Do the loaners know anyone themselves that may be interested?

Chestnut horse

Visit site
Pony has been on loan for 'several years' and everything has been fine, loaners wanted to buy and you said no. Obviously something has changed and they have asked you to take pony back, which is completely understandable as you still own the pony. I would strongly advise having a conversation with the loaners as the worst thing to do is listen to 'gossip' without knowing the full facts. You will gain more information from them personally, and yes if they still want to send him back so be it......... that is always the loaners option, and they certainly seen to have spent a few years keeping him a happy boy. Good luck.

Bennions Field

Visit site
thank goodness you didnt sell, your pony would have been sold again very quickly. if she's a good pony, you dont say how big she is?, would she be any good for pony club? , good ponies, especially safe ones, are hard to come by, so you might have her snapped up quickly - i've got two of my ponies out on loan to a friends family member, i only have to fetch them back if they dont want them any longer. i've been to check them again today, they were as happy as pigs in muck :) its hard to get good loan homes, and although there's been the odd hiccup it sounds like they have at least looked after her whilst in their care, i'm sure you will find her as nice a home again, i totally understand the not selling idea, i couldnt sell mine :)

rascal

Visit site
So what were you expecting? That the pony would stay with them forever? Surely the point of loaning is that at some stage the pony will come back to you. I suggest that you keep her with you over the winter and advertise her in spring when there will be more people looking to loan.[/QUOTE

When they took her on it was agreed by both of us that it should be a permanent loan.

Chestnut horse, its not gossip, the lady told both hubby and myself that she needs to come back and why. Im just confused as they have always seemed so keen on her.

She is a welsh c about 13.1 but hasn't done much. She is in her mid teens, so really a companion or for in hand showing.

Last edited:

9tails

Visit site
If you know why she has to come back, then I can't see the problem here. She's on loan, there's no such thing as "permanent" loan - that's "give away".

rascal

Visit site
If you know why she has to come back, then I can't see the problem here. She's on loan, there's no such thing as "permanent" loan - that's "give away".

The problem is that I think I may have upset her by not selling the pony to her. When she took the pony on she said it would be for the rest of her days, a short time after we refuse to sell her, suddenly shes got to come back, im worried we did the wrong thing.

Bigginge

Visit site
Your reasons for loaning our sound ones, they are to avoid this kind of situation where if you had sold her to them you would now have no control over her future. Their reasons for returning her seem real enough, if they have other loan ponies and there was no danger of you taking her from them then it seems unlikely they would just change their minds about having a loan pony. These things happen some times, people may set out with the intention of giving a forever home but circumstances can change (and some time people do over stretch themselves) and something has to give. In that situation then I think anyone would first of all return loan ponies, at least the loaner knows that you will ensure the future of your mare. It has happened to me with one of my ponies who went to a 'permanent' loan home, but I always knew that was a possibility and always had a contingency plan.

Do you have room to have your mare back? If not and the issue for them is money then perhaps offer to pay for her keep if they can hold on to her until you can find a new loan home or can make provision to have her back with you. Start advertising her now, there are always people looking for good, sensible ponies to loan, children grow out of their ponies so quickly at that age, she is the perfect size. Did you have a contract? In which case there should be a notice period for ending the loan on both sides, although if it was me I'd go and get her back as soon as I could.

Spring Feather

Visit site
You haven't done anything wrong. You've safeguarded the pony's future and you are only able to do this because you still own her. To me it almost sounds like they maybe don't need pony anymore so were going to buy her to sell on and as you're not willing to sell that's put the kibosh on it. That's just a guess though, so maybe not. Either way, the pony is safe; I'd go and collect her this weekend.

Ibblebibble

Visit site
perhaps by you refusing to sell they feel that you don't trust them or value the fact that they have looked after the pony for a couple of years?? i can understand your reasons but they have probably taken it personally and i can understand that too!! you can try and talk with them but if the relationship is now soured then surely the best thing is for the pony to come back.

rascal

Visit site
Yes we do have a contract, it says 1 months notice on both sides. We have three ponies out on loan, and have room at the field we rent if they should come back.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site

This. I don't think there is such a thing as a permanent loan either. Most are likely to come back.

At the end of the day, it doesn't really matter why she is coming back or whether you'd upset them. You didn't want to sell and you haven't. I would just contact them, tell them you're sorry they have to return her and that you've been very happy with how they looked after her all these years, then leave it at that, get her home..

rascal

Visit site
They said once before that she had to come back, then changed their minds, I think that's partly why I wouldn't sell, once money changes hands you have no say in what happens.