What would you have done?

meleeka

Visit site
So today I wanted to ride but for some reason my pony refused to be caught. He’s normally quite a laid back chap but this wasn’t just an “I don’t fancy it today” sort of reaction, he took off round the field and even when I got a handful of nuts which is usual a guarantee he’ll follow me loose to the yard, he still wouldnt come near me. I did eventually catch him but then he refused to go to the yard. He was doing a lot of chewing and planting but I persevered and once at the yard I just tied him up, gave him a quick brush and some carrot stretches and turned him back out.

Obviously if this continues I will be looking at a physical cause, but would you have given him the benefit of the doubt or ridden anyway?

flying_high

Visit site
I'd have possibly lunged to look at him move or assessed him in hand. Did he relax once in yard. How good is the grass in the field and were all his friends out? I might look closely at his reaction to being saddled and bridled for any pain flinch reaction next time I ride. Could someone or something have frightened him in field?

LaurenBay

Visit site
I would have done what you did given this is out of character for him. There could be something that happened overnight that had him on edge. My mare was really on edge one day but then I found out a loose Dog got in with her and chased her. She was back to her normal self the next day.

Nasicus

Visit site
Assuming there's nothing obviously wrong with the horse, and this is one off out-of-the-blue behaviour, I would do the same. Make being caught when they don't feel like it a nice thing, and not reinforcing the 'If I catch you, you're going to have to work' mentality.

Obviously different set of circumstances if the horse is consistently a PITA to catch haha

meleeka

Visit site
Was the hunt in the area? Mine behaves like that if hes heard the hounds

No hunts nearby. He was calm when I arrived.
I'd have possibly lunged to look at him move or assessed him in hand. Did he relax once in yard. How good is the grass in the field and were all his friends out? I might look closely at his reaction to being saddled and bridled for any pain flinch reaction next time I ride. Could someone or something have frightened him in field?

I’ve just had a bit of a lightbulb moment! I took the track down in his field yesterday so I wonder if he’s just over indulged.

Horsekaren

Visit site
My horse did this a few months ago, he is usually so good but every time i got him near the gate he charged off bronking (i had him on a lunge line too) I usually never give up but that day i did as had to get to hospital. Turns out there was a deer den in the bushes by the gate

fidleyspromise

Visit site
Only once in 8 years was I unable to catch my horse. She usually trots up to you and this day (just after New Year) I could not get near her and left without catching her. I found one of those lantern things in the field and wonder if that caused it. Next day she was back to herself and caught no problem.

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
I occasionally I don't ride if my horse tells me she is really not up for it. Does not happen often and I can't see any reason it would reinforce not being caught. After all he did not know whether you intended to ride in the first place. I think people (not directed at you...) can get very hung up about 'winning' a battle the horse does not know he is having! On the other hand there are times my horse does not seem up for it and I overrule her - if we have a lesson for example - and there seems no real reason why she shouldn't work.