What would you pay???

GatefieldHorses

Visit site
Suggestions on a price for the following:
17hh grey oldenburg gelding, 13 yrs. Schools but not really a dressage horse, huge jump but a little green (with his strides....takes off too early or late sometimes!). Bombproof hack in all traffic, suit any rider. Good in stable, good catch etc, But he makes a slight noise (can hardly be heard), what would you all expect to pay?

Iestyn

Visit site
Not a lot TBH - £1000? At 13 I would expect a good allrounder to be able to do RC Novice/ elementary dressage and to comfortably jump a 3'course of SJ's - but it's green?!!! To top it all off it makes a noise - thinking about it I would just want to find it a good home at a giveaway/ nominal price.

GatefieldHorses

Visit site
no, not a roarer. ive had one of those before. he makes a slight whistle. He doesnt get tired and doesnt affect him. He would do a course bigger than 3' just not very stlyishly at moment, i classed as green but i would say probs more rusty as he can really jump and jumps all fillers etc.

glenruby

Visit site
for the basic description you've given, hed only fetch about 2000euro here but iv seen similar in UK ads for anything from £2000-7000

Iestyn

Visit site
But he wouldn't pass a "thorough" vetting surely if he made a noise?

The point I tried to make is that he wouldn't be a novice horse if he has a green/ rusty jump as he would need someone fairly experienced to get him back to where he was. He may well suit a novice to hack from the initial description, but not to do anything else as it's been said he doesn't "do" dressage and his jump needs working on. It doesn't matter about his breeding or colour in the price TBH and it needs to be remember that he's now 13, so rising 14 in the New Year and at his size (17hh) will not go on as long as something smaller. Have I made generalisations and assumptions? Yes of course I have but so will many, many other people if they saw and advert for this horse.