What would you pay?

Champion1969

Visit site
Pony club, x country and games, very sharp and forward, all rounder My child is a novice but has done some dressage. Will been doing local shows and hacking.

be positive

Visit site
Pony club, x country and games, very sharp and forward, all rounder My child is a novice but has done some dressage. Will been doing local shows and hacking.
If the child is a novice and the pony is described as sharp it sounds like a potential disaster, I would be extremely cautious at any price, your child needs a confidence giver at this stage not something that is going to scare her.

Champion1969

Visit site
She’s been riding this pony for a while and all is fine, she not a complete novice she is confident she just not done any competing, it’s a second pony as she’s out grown her 12hh which was very sharp.

Last edited:

irishdraft

Visit site
It's surprising how much a good but old competition pony will fetch. Two ponies a friend of mine one was a very good eventing pony 15 with a tendon history sold for £8500. Same family also had 18 yo mounted games pony up for £8500.00 but not sure how much was achieved but he was sold .

Visit site
It’s sound with no history of illness same home for 8 years asking £1000.

If you know the pony and the kid gets on with it already I would jump at 1k! A good Welsh will go on forever and at 20 your daughter will probably outgrow it before the pony is ready to retire completely! Sometimes these ponies that have had busy comparative lives need to keep going out and doing it, they are a bit like humans, once you stop your body stops and gives up.

I would defos give the pony the time and money! Ibwas half expecting you to say 4-5k!

Champion1969

Visit site
If you know the pony and the kid gets on with it already I would jump at 1k! A good Welsh will go on forever and at 20 your daughter will probably outgrow it before the pony is ready to retire completely! Sometimes these ponies that have had busy comparative lives need to keep going out and doing it, they are a bit like humans, once you stop your body stops and gives up.

I would defos give the pony the time and money! Ibwas half expecting you to say 4-5k!
I wasn’t sure if it was too cheap lol

Visit site
I wasn’t sure if it was too cheap lol

Maybe because they know you and know the pony would be in a good place they are offering you the pony at a very much cut price. Some people value their older ponies too much and would rather they went to a good, known home that just sell them to the highest bidder.

Apercrumbie

Visit site
Just concerned about insuring her

It might be worth setting up your own "fund" instead that you pay monthly into. Have a think about the kinds of procedures you would put her through (eg. colic surgery - I made the decision with my older boys not to put them through it if necessary) and whether insurance would likely cover those procedures. If you wouldn't want to put an older horse through major surgery/intense diagnostics, then insurance will be superfluous anyway.

ROMANY 1959

Visit site
I sold a 14:3 schoolmistress at age 20 to a friend for £1000 with delivery and rugs and tack, because I knew she would have a good retirement and be a happy hacker.. she was PTS last year at age 26. To be honest £1000 is a bargain, I suspect it’s because you are a good home, money is not always better than a good forever home for an older horse.. mine had a brill 6 years till her arthritis got the better of her

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I stopped insuring mine at 20 he had a few exclusions and I knew that treatment after that was likely to be on the conservative side. had a 0% credit card on hand and now have savings (he’s 25 now)

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I think that's a decent price for a good pony that you know suits your child, at least you know the ponies history and don't have the hassle of searching for one, that can be a nightmare alone so I would go for it.

HeyMich

Visit site
Our old Welshie was still ridden till he was 28. Hopefully she'll have many fun years left with you!

Incidentally, we just bought a 10yr old Welsh for £3k. Hoping he'll have plenty of life left in him when my kids have grown up to sell on to another family for a reasonable amount. Here's hoping anyway!