What would you think if you saw this?

melbournesunrise

Visit site
Horse cut himself at some point on Sunday afternoon on the back of his heel. Bled a bit but not massively. Cleaned and put sudocrem over it before turning out. Have cleaned and sudocrem'd morning and evening since.

Went to check him this evening and saw what is on the picture below. Foot wasn't particularly hot, similar temperature to other heels. It was fairly solid to the touch, not gooey, and he wasn't bothered by me pressing it lightly.

Two other people weren't sure when I showed them the picture - what are your thoughts? I did clean again, but I'm now paranoid that I'm going to head back in the morning to a horribly infected cut in spite of it all.

Attachments

• 20190528_204440.jpg
    20190528_204440.jpg
    909 KB · Views: 102

HeyMich

Visit site
Sorry, I can't quite see what the image is. Can you describe it or put up another pic?

If it's proud flesh or a nodule of fluid/gunk from within the cut then it's most likely infected so may need antibiotics. I'd call the vet in the morning anyway, even if it's just to check. You can always send them a pic too.

Hope it heals quickly.

melbournesunrise

Visit site
Sorry, the only decent image is too big to upload :confused: It's at the bottom of the cut, and is (as you can see) a white-ish colour but it doesn't feel squishy like I'd expect a fluid-filled sac or nodule... though I only managed a quick, gentle feel before he started to get impatient.

That's a great idea about sending a picture to the vets - I'd forgotten you could do that! I could always poultice it too, to draw any infection out, couldn't I?

Pinkvboots

Visit site
It's probably infected already and will need antibiotics, I have stopped quite a few cuts from needing a vet but you have to really keep on top of it, like hosing at least twice a day then drying the wound and covering in antiseptic for a good few days.

melbournesunrise

Visit site
As I said, I've cleaned and protected twice a day since he did it, and I've not managed it any differently to the other cuts and scrapes he's had in the past... but this one seems to have reacted differently to the other times, but not in a way I seem to be able to explain... Like as not I'll end up with the vet out tomorrow, but I'm blowed if I can figure out what's so different this time!

LadySam

Visit site
Do be careful. I'm not they type to overreact and have managed multitudes of cuts and scrapes as most of us have, but don't mess with cuts on the feet. I can't see much in that pic but even innocuous looking heel cuts can get quite nasty.

Carrottom

Visit site
Do you know what caused the cut? Is it possible that there is a foreign objects in there?
I would speak to the vet, if it is in a difficult place to inspect they will be able to sedate to enable a proper look and treat.