what would you use??

ladylisa

Visit site
I want to give my horse a small clip, but when i bought her in may they said that she will not let you clip her. so now i have a problem coz she is starting to sweat up slightly. so what would you all recommend i use so as i can clip her. dont really want to twitch her!
HELP!!

SSM

Visit site
You can either spend every evening in your stable running clippers to desesitise her (I am doing this and it is working) or you can sedalin/ACP but be ready to twitch as well, otherwise you maybe putting yourself and your horse in danger - you are playing with electricity and an animal with metal feet.

poggio

Visit site
TBH if you've already been warned she doesn't like them I'd go straight for the sedate option!
I get sedaline (or equivalent) from my vet but usually have to twitch aswell with this. Other option would be to get the vet to sedate but obviously this is more costly and you'd need to be pretty rapid at clipping.

Try the sedaline/ACP option first and see how it goes
smile.gif

severnmiles

Visit site
When I bought Ernie they said you can't clip him, thought I'd try him anyway, he went mental, I shouted at him and told him to stop being such a p*llock and he stood like an angel, no twitch, no drugs, no stress.

I guess not all horses are like Ernie though, try a twitch and some ACP or Sedaline/Sedazine (doesn't always work though), if that fails then the vet can come out and give him a jab, only thats about £40.00 inc call out and you've only got about 40mins to get it done!

ladylisa

Visit site
i will take the clippers with me when i go tomorrow, dont want to clip her for a few weeks so it gives me a little bit of time to try and get things right.
i used acp on my section a pony that i had but they didnt do much so i dont know how well they will work on an id.... but ive never tried sedalin

ladylisa

Visit site
The shouting thing might be of a little help as she was also nervous to mount and it would take me about 20 mins to get on, but then i would shout at her when she ran backwards away from me, she would then let me get on... but the good news is she now lets me get on first time as long as i use a stool.

Santa_Claus

www.katiemortimore.com
With Dan he used to be an idiot so we stuck him in a stable next to another horse whilst it was clipped and he got used to the sound and he took notice of the other horse acting like saint! He is now great to clip but we do have to twitch him for his neck and head as very ticklish but no sedation needed!

Halfpass

Visit site
I have a set of WAHL trimmers that hardly make a sound and although not suitable for heavy duty work they managed a full clip on my 17hh ID x TB last winter and to make things even better they are only around £40 for a set. These might be good if it is the noise that your horse does not like. I bought mine off of ebay.

Frazer

Visit site
I have to use APC with my jumping pony or she will not let you do it, spent months in the summer trying to get her used to it, but as soon as you touched her she would rear up etc.. Found APC worked on her, I think it just depends how extreme it is, my tb mare used to hate being clipped but is know fine! However my pony isn't and I have to use APC

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
My boy is great with almost anything...except clippers. I've tried desensatising him by running them near him etc...it just hasn't worked with him. I'm afraid that I have to use the sedalin option, & I have a twitch handy. The sedalin works well however it wears off very suddenly so you need to have a twitch handy just in case you haven't quite finished. It's a shame but I can live with it, he's so good in every other way. Fortunately he only needs clipping once each winter so it's not much of a problem.