What would you want on a local website

tuscanyD

Visit site
Not to tread on the toes of H & H - and I'm sure i won't as its a totally differemnt market.I'm talking about a local/regional website.

After yesterday's journey into despair and gloom the BF reminded me that I own a domain name.

Would be fun to set up a GOOD local site - I've visited so many that seem dead and boring with a few measley classifieds that appear to have been there months. plus no news, pictures or anything?

So what would you WANT from a good site?
what do you want to rwead?

Good tips?
Good shows?
Ads for trainers/services?...

All ideas welcome

burtie

Visit site
We have a local website for the New Forest it's the only other horsey website I use and is excellent for local stuff. It has a classified section, a business directory, a forum and loads of news and up to date stuff about the New Forest. Worth a look to give you some ideas about your site!

www.nfed.co.uk

the watcher

Visit site
the NFED site is a fab example, I have been thinking for some time of setting something similar up for the cotswold area with trainers, yards, riding schools, suppliers, events and local news (obviously with a link to HHO, before the admin gremlins slap me)
So any ideas from you peeps of what you would want would be welcome in more than one direction

Munchie

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
, I have been thinking for some time of setting something similar up for the cotswold area with trainers, yards, riding schools, suppliers, events and local news

[/ QUOTE ]

Please do!! It would be nice to have somewhere where you can get up to date info and news for the area!
I usually have to traul through tonnes of sites, get all excited when I find something useful only to find its 3 years out of date!!
mad.gif

A section covering livery yards would be excellent - I spent ages trying to find a yard in the area! Perhaps with a rating system based on facilities etc?

Other useful things would be dentists, chiros, details of bridleways etc etc.

the watcher

Visit site
so links to TROT and Bridleways UK would be pretty high up people's priorities I guess? I thought about rating services, but have to be careful on the defamation front (some are not good, as we all know)

I will start work and put up a test site for inspection in due course!

Munchie

Visit site
Local suppliers would also be useful - hay, straw etc aswell as any local businesses for things like rubber matting, stables etc. - direct links to websites would be helpful - much easier and quicker than searching the web, and also good to have information on a variety of things in one place.

Maybe a classified section - wanted ads - we'll be looking for grazing to rent shortly so putting an ad up on a local website would hopefully be a lot more fruitful than a larger nationwide one (why is that whenever I check those ones pretty much all areas are covered but the one I'm interested in!!)

I don't really know the area at all (Hell it took me three attempts yesterday to find the turning to the yard in the dark!
blush.gif
) So I know I for one would be very pleased to see a local site!
grin.gif

squid35

Visit site
INFO ON LOCAL THINGS! SOMETHING PEOPLE CAN RELATE TO BUT WITH SOME FURTHER AFFIELD STUFF TO.
LOCAL COMPETITIONS/RESULTS AND PICS
RIDER PROFILES
THE LIST IS ENDLESS

tuscanyD

Visit site
Rider profiles is interesting
Do you mean ordinary people or 'proper' competition riders competeing at county level? Or a mixture?

How about a recommendations page ? No 'blacklisting' but detailed recommendations of good services?

squid35

Visit site
YEAH THAT WOULD BE GREAT!

YOU COULD HAVE BOTH LOCAL AND HIGH FLIERS ON THE PROFILE PAGE.

LOCAL SHOPS AND SUPPLIERS

RIDING SCHOOL INFO

FREELANCE INSTRUCTORS

SERVICES OFFERED

IM ON A ROLL!

sorona

Visit site
I would agree that www.nfed.co.uk is a fantastic website. It seems to cover just about everything and if it didnt, it wouldnt be long before it was updated to please everyone! Dont think you will find a better example of one that caters perfectly for locals. The only thing is relying on riding clubs, etc to put show dates on and results too as there are sections for it and lots of schedules do go on but not as many as i would like but that is not the sites problem it is the show organisers!

tuscanyD

Visit site
This is great thanks for all the input and replies - keep it coming!

Going to try and build something basic over the weekend - will post it for comments, views, constructive critisism etc