What wouldnt you have done, if you'd asked on here first?! :)

Tobiano

Visit site
so…. just musing, a few people post on here about plans to buy their first horse, and usually there are some replies saying don't buy yet or don't buy, loan…….

I didn't come on HHO when i bought my first horse 10 years ago, or when i got my 6 month old foal 3 1/2 years ago, but I'm pretty sure if I'd come on here and asked about it, a few people would have said don't, and that would have put me off (I am a wimp).

So, who's gone ahead and done something and now you think if you'd asked on here first you might not have! (or, did you come on here, get lots of people saying not to, and do it anyway?!)

:) :)

BTW this isn't dissing HHO just reflecting on the impact of social media! :)

RubysGold

Visit site
When I bought Roo, I had learnt to ride in a fashion, I could do basic horse care but had never been in sole charge of a horse, always just helped on yards

Had I asked on here, I would have probably been advised to take someone with me to view her and to get a vetting done. I met her, fell in love and bought her.
With that advice I would have found out that her legs were not great and she may have issues With soundness. It would have put me off buying her and would have saved me a lot of money, but I wouldn't change her for the world and I would happily do it all again

Cowpony

Visit site
I wouldn't have bought a TB as my first horse. She proved to have kissing spine so cost me a shedload of money and she was (understandably in hindsight) very grumpy to handle. But she taught me a lot and I cried buckets when she went to her new (non-riding) home. I was much more sensible with my second horse.

suffolkmare

Visit site
I didn't ask about whether or not I should buy a pony that had been in a RS for over half his life. I'm sure people would have told me all sorts of horror stories, so I'm glad I didn't. I'm also glad I can get help and support when I do want it, :D

Michen

Visit site
Wouldn't have bought my horse. Which probably would have saved me about 3k in the last 5 months and a bucket load of tears and I'd probably have a lovely rideble horse and be out doing sponsored rides by now.

But he's taught me a lot and his mane was there to cry in to when the **** hit the fan with life so I don't regret him.

Tobiano

Visit site
Wouldn't have bought my horse. Which probably would have saved me about 3k in the last 5 months and a bucket load of tears and I'd probably have a lovely rideble horse and be out doing sponsored rides by now.

But he's taught me a lot and his mane was there to cry in to when the **** hit the fan with life so I don't regret him.

Do you know what Michen, I reckon if you had posted about him, most people would have said go with your heart! (then you could have blamed us for all the sweat and tears ..)

Interesting that there is a lot of commonality in the responses, things don't happen as you would plan them to, but you learn something incredibly valuable from it…. i wonder if social media (not just here but FB and all sorts of others) will mean there is less and less of this in the future….

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I wouldn't have bought a TB as my first horse. She proved to have kissing spine so cost me a shedload of money and she was (understandably in hindsight) very grumpy to handle. But she taught me a lot and I cried buckets when she went to her new (non-riding) home. I was much more sensible with my second horse.

Almost this! Mine was PTS though with a whole host of other issues.
Id also have known not to pull on the reins whilst cantering him out in the open for the first time after his retirement from racing.........

DressageCob

Visit site
I probably wouldn't have bought my horse. He was very green, as was I. I would have been told to share first, loan first or buy a horse which is older and more experienced.

But I have no regrets. I love my horse and we have learnt together. Now competing at novice affiliated and elementary unaffiliated dressage, have done SJ competitions, ODEs, fun rides, beach rides, camps, clinics...he's my horse of a lifetime so I am glad I didn't ask here first or I might have missed out on the awesome Albert :D

kinnygirl1

Visit site
Bought a young horse... Although he is shaping up to be my HOAL....(if only because after all I've spent on him I would never be able to afford another contender!)

millikins

Visit site
I would definitely not have bought our 1st pony. Pretty much unbacked, 7yr old broodmare for a novice owner and child. My far more knowledgeable friend said "don't buy it" but we did anyway. Purely by luck as she was already teaching someone else on the yard I had lessons with the best instructor I've ever met ad partly because I'm more stubborn and bloody minded than any damn horse it worked and she's been a wonderful if rather quirky addition to our lives.

Dumbo

Visit site
3 years ago I bought a lame, skinny, tired thoroughbred that had just sat in a field for 9 years after his short lived racing career! If I had come on here I highly doubt anyone would have been supportive in buying him. In fact no one I knew was... Even had to convince my mum that the 'scruffy old thing' would be the right horse for me.
Well, 3 years on and he's a totally different horse. He's 16 this month but he's feeling better than ever.

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
Do you know what Michen, I reckon if you had posted about him, most people would have said go with your heart! (then you could have blamed us for all the sweat and tears ..)

Interesting that there is a lot of commonality in the responses, things don't happen as you would plan them to, but you learn something incredibly valuable from it…. i wonder if social media (not just here but FB and all sorts of others) will mean there is less and less of this in the future….

I highly doubt it - humans will always choose to make their own mistakes, in the face of all sound advice. If history tells us nothing else, it certainly assures us of that.

Bertolie

Visit site
I am 52, came to riding later in life and sadly lost my first horse in February. He was a saint, totally bombproof and although he wouldn't hack out alone, looked after me. I am not the most confident rider/owner even after having my boy for 7 years.

Fast forward and I now have a rising 5 year old mare! Many people on my yard told me I was mad to go and see her and I very nearly chickened out, but I did and fell in love with her! Hacked her in a big open field and bought her there and then (no vetting!). I'm sure if I had asked advice on here about going to see her I would have been advised to look for something older, but she's mine and is the most laid back cob you could ever meet :)