What you’re opinion on herd turnout

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
Ideally herds are better but often on Livery yards where the set up isn’t great, overgrazed, no gradual introductions, bully horses it’s a nightmare. I had mine on gelding only t/o and he had several significant injuries including a bone chip. It was a big yard and the vet was out daily dealing with field injuries. He was then out with a mare and two geldings and he was a right turd and had to be separated eventually. Then on individual for 8 years with no problems physical or otherwise. They groom over the fence or we let them groom on the yard. I then bought a second horse and they are out together and they’re joined at the hip. It’s lovely in some ways but both suffer separation anxiety badly if one is taken away from the other.
I think a working horse that has a lot of exercise and attention individual is ok but I wouldn’t keep a retired horse or an unridden like it.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
I’d quite like pairs, which isn’t possible at my yard, selfishly, cos I’m sick of my horse trying to evade the ones who think they should come in before him or who herd him away. I don’t want another bloody accident.

My warmblood was kicked and broke his shoulder in a new herd situation. Putting my cob out in the same herd was no fun.

indie1282

Visit site
I would never go in to a herd at a livery yard. Luckily I have always had 2 to they always go out together ❤

chocolategirl

Visit site
What you’re opinion on it I like individual turnout but my current yard only offers herd or turnout in pairs
I prefer herd turnout, however, I think it’s important to get the right mix. I never graze mares and geldings together on my yard, and I try to group geldings in particular, with great care as they tend to play A LOT! Our mares never play, never rip rugs etc, geldings on the other hand ?‍♀️?‍♀️??

tiahatti

Visit site
I think it depends on the horse. I have had horses happily living as part of a herd. But I have also had 2 who were happier with just one friend. My current mare is very low in the pecking order and nervous in a big group. I also had a mare who became very dominant and aggressive in a group.