What you’re opinion on herd turnout

poiuytrewq

Visit site
When I had my first pony we were at a livery yard where they turned out everything together. A herd of 26 mixed, from an 11.2 mare to an 18hh gelding
24 hr over summer and 12 hr out every day regardless of weather in winter.
As I recall it was the least problematic place I’ve ever had horses

scats

Visit site
Having had two catastrophic injuries occur during herd turnout, it slightly strikes fear in my heart. Saying that, I also had horses who were in large herds for years with no issues. I don’t like individual turnout as I like horses to be able to groom and interact. My girls are out together, which is great in one way, but does mean they are quite clingy and leaves me stuck if one has to stay in (so does the other).

Mrs B

Visit site
I would always choose small-herd turnout where at all possible. But my current horse just can't be turned out with others. And I have tried!! After 6 years, I have come to the conclusion that he was probably raised by humans or was taken from his mum very early. Either way, he just doesn't understand 'horse'. The result is that he pesters and pesters, is far too rough and ends up either properly hurting others of getting hurt himself. He's 16 now, so I don't think he's ever going to change.
So when turned out, he is on his own in his paddock with horses all around him, with a shelter, natural hedges, a good mix of grasses and flowers and that's the best I can do, really ... :confused:
(Lindylouanne will vouch for him being ... er ... an individual!)

PSD

Visit site
My 2yo is in a herd of mares ranging from yearlings to OAPs and I feel that it has massively benefitted her. She used to be out with the broodmares and babies at her stud and I feel that she’s now learning some manners from the older mares, but also has younger ones to play with. I dislike individual turnout but obviously sometimes it’s needed. Friend of mine has a laminitic that goes out alone because he’s happy to and she’d rather he didn’t tear arse about

HobleytheTB

Visit site
Individual turnout is an absolute no for me. A small, balanced herd is ideal. Pairs are much preferred to Individual, but a small herd is ideal in my opinion. As long as there is consideration taken as to the herd members, i.e don't shove a load of super dominant horses in together etc, you hopefully end up with a settled and happy group.

NinjaPony

Visit site
I like mine in 3s if possible, or pairs if not tricky.

Not always possible though. My two have always gone out either in a small herd, or in a pair. Round my area pretty much everything is individual. Not a problem when both mine could go out together, but unfortunately one now has cushings and laminitis so he has't been able to go out with my other retired boy which is a real pain.

I've managed to find a quiet friend for my retired boy so he isn't alone anymore which has been really nice, but required an understanding owner willing to give it a go! Now he has severe lung damage, I'm not sure he would cope in a proper herd anyway.

My cushing's pony is going to have to be on individual for now, as that is the only way he is going to get any turnout.... I've managed to find him a nice shady bit of dirt track so he can have turnout with soaked hay rather than grass, and I'll make sure he has company over the fence. Not ideal, but better than being stuck inside.

EmmaC78

Visit site
I ave always had mine in a herd. I am fortunate in that I have two horses and share a field with my two friends and the horses all get along well so it is an ideal option. My horses are really socialable so I think they would hate being on their own.

tiga71

Visit site
I hate individual turn out. Horses are herd animals and I would rather risk a kick and bite to give them as much social interaction as possible.

Two of mine are in a stable herd of 4 and very happy. My project horse was incredibly anxious and defensive (to humans) when I got him 15 months ago. He went into a mixed herd of 10/11 on 33 acres. It has done wonders for his healing, both mental and physical. He will soon move to the other end of the yard and be in a smaller herd. I feel a bit sad about that tbh as he loves his big herd and field, but the facilities aren't good enough to restart him up at the other end.

There are a few horses at our yard on individual turnout for the convenience of their owners and they all look less than happy.

[131452]

Visit site
I prefer it, it is more natural , but you need to make sure there aren't problem individuals in the herd. I understand why a lot of places only do individual turn out though, no one wants their horse kicked. I love seeing horses interact in the herd though and my old boy went out in various herds for nearly 15 years and never caused a problem. He only got kicked when turned out - without my permission- with a well bonded gelding and mare pair. That was a bad idea and I was livid!

Bonnie Allie

Visit site
Herd always. There is rug ripping, clowning around and the odd injury but they are much happier and go much better under saddle and at comps as they are relaxed happy horses.

Having said that nothing upsets me more than when you find skid marks in the paddock and see your horse is marginally lame 24hrs before a comp you have been training for the last 12 weeks.

spacefaer

Visit site
I'd never turn my horses out with other people's. Particularly not ones in work where the herd dynamics change every single time a horse is taken out.

My guys go out in pairs or a small group all summer. ... without shoes.

Firefly9410

Visit site
Whilst I dislike the idea of individual turnout in theory in practice my horse breathes a sigh of relief at it. Ideally she would prefer a buddy but is very particular who so even if I got another horse it would not necessarily be a solution. Finally I have secured a good field with hedges trees other horses in sight and big enough. I stable nights. No boggy gateway no injuries nobody guarding the trough and not letting her drink no endless chasing away no others taking all the shade and leaving her with the blazing sun. No white round the eyes no worry wrinkles on the eyelids no broncking less spooking. Peace at last without a herd.

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
My horse prefers herd turnout. He's been in a pair, in a small herd, and in a large herd. He's done well in all of them. In the winter when we switch to paddocks and he's often alone with a shared fence line, or in with his neighbor. He's ok with either set-up. He's quite flexible.

I would never keep him alone long term though. He was kept isolated when he was a younger stallion and has a result developed self mutilation behaviors and really tore into himself (prior to my ownership). He's gelded now and managed differently, so he doesn't mutilate anymore. I don't know why someone would purposely isolate a herd animal. Especially when the animal is clearly stressed by it. Socialization is very important to most horses and so is having a herd, dynamics and all.

Horses come and go throughout the day as he is in a mix of other liveries and a schooling horse. They usually go out at night but will go out day and night of the heat and bugs aren't bad. The herd doesn't seem so disturbed by any of this. We're generally pretty lucky in that the herd is fairly chill. There's a boss, but not a total savage.

On the opposing end, a friend's horse goes alone as she is aggressive and very, very, particular about her field mates. She seems happier sharing a fence like rather than sharing a field. I think with the right horse she'd be ok, but owner and others aren't too keen on risking it, especially since the horse is older and fairly set in her ways.

So I prefer a herd, but once in awhile there are exceptions and the horse seems to cope ok, but it's not my first choice. I've seen bad injuries happen in solo turnout and herd. Horses will find a way.

awelshandawarmblood

Visit site
I've always had mine in herds, anything from 3 or 4 up to 20! Never had an issue bar the odd bite or scrape & some hassle getting to the gate at feeding time, although I have known some nightmare stories! I really don't like individual turnout, both mine are in pairs & happy!

Last edited:

lannerch

Visit site
My retired horse went from individual turnout to herd turnout of about 10 others , mixed sex and ages.
he absolutely loves it , it helps that he’s king of the herd but he’s living the dream .

Shooting Star

Visit site
Herds definitely and the bigger the better so long as the land size corresponds, I always feel so sad for those out individually. Mine is currently in a herd of 20, injuries are very rare and we get to enjoy arriving to scenes like this (there were actually 8 snoozing and the rest grazing / on guard duty but couldn’t get them all in shot)

E81D7319-F2E1-4F24-837E-E87DC0EACF89.jpeg

Chippers1

Visit site
Mine is in a herd too. Much prefer it (although not my bill for fixing rugs...) they are out 24/7 with the same herd - the only difference in winter is when one of them is stabled so isn't in the same field as them but as they all move to the winter grazing at the same time it doesn't affect the dynamics too much.

The herds are split boys and girls too. We once had a scenario where a horse who had only ever been on individual turn out was added to the herd and he had absolutely no idea how to interact with the others and they all got very annoyed with him, he was always right up in their personal space and ignoring any ques to keep away. It was quite sad really.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I am happy with herd turnout *in general* if the herd is stable. This is not the norm at livery where horses come and go and sometimes you're at the whim of the YO who is out where. Therefore my 2 ridden ones have their own paddocks - it's better for one as she is basically incompatible with other horses :oops: though the other would prefer a buddy.

My other horses live out together. as they are a stable group they figure out the pecking order and its pretty peaceful. Hopefully at some point I'll stop being dependent on livery for the ridden ones and then I will put them all together again.... though I expect the one will still need her own patch ;)

Follysmum

Visit site
My pet hate is horses on their own 24/7. They need company even if it’s just one other. Unless there is a specific reason ie safety.

Ish2020

Visit site
I'd be very interested to know the reasons why you prefer herd turnout.
Plus what are your reasons against paired or herd turnout?
I like both but When my mare is in session it can turn into a bit of a nightmare when I riding her she will constantly nay at the other horses. She was in a herd but when she was in session the geldings would annoy her. So she want into paird turnout instead and it’s working a lot better.

Last edited:

planete

Visit site
Herd turnout is ok unless you have a horse who gets bullied, or is getting on in years and needs to be able to eat his hay in peace and gets sore if made to run with the mob. I now keep my old horse in his own paddock with friends all around after a not so good Winter at full grass livery. He is like a new horse, bright, relaxed and finally plumping up.

Pippity

Visit site
Mine's bottom of the pecking order in her small herd, and spends a lot of time being herded around or grazing on her own while the other three make their own little cluster. Even so, she's much more relaxed than when she's been on her own (for either lameness or waistline reasons).

Unfortunately there are so few mares on my yard that they all get turned out together, regardless of personality, while the geldings get put into appropriate small herds. She would be happier with a more stable herd, but I'd rather she had a bit of chop-and-changing than that she was on her own - and from her behaviour, she agrees with me. She gets quite clingy when she's on her own, and is a bit spookier to ride. ('Spooky' in her case meaning 'glares at something while marching past it a bit sideways'.)

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
I like both but When my mare is in session it can turn into a bit of a nightmare when I riding her she will constantly nay at the other horses. She was in a herd but when she was in session the gelding would annoy her. So she want into paird turnout instead and it’s working a lot better.

I just realised that my question should have been 'why do you prefer individual turnout?' Sorry about that.

Your reply above seems to answer that anyway? You prefer individual turnout because your mare (and the geldings in the herd) can be awkward when she is in season and she also neighs at other horses?

pansymouse

Visit site
My mare is very dominant and will fight anything that challenges her. She loves company but it must be submissive to her or there will be nasty injuries. She lives in a well established herd where she is the undisputed boss and she protects and manages all the others like a devoted mother hen.

Tarragon

Visit site
I have had to have a pony put down due to a massive kick by another horse that broke her leg so I am wary of herd turnout UNLESS they are either my herd or really well managed. My life really became so much easier when I got my second pony as it meant that I had my own little herd and i could be totally independent of the whims of others. Two happy ponies. Either can be ridden, leaving the other on their own, so it is really the best solution.
I must admit, when I see the large livery yards offering herd turnout and you see a huge field with 20 or more horses it does worry me because:
1. managing the different grass requirements must be tricky
2. going in to just catch your own is difficult if they are not top dog
3. unable to feed your own safely in the field
4. little control of what horses are added to the herd, how and when
5. horses coming and going all the time

Errin Paddywack

Visit site
I was happy with herd turnout when they were all my own or my sister's. The RS I worked for had herd turnout and that worked well. My sister was for a while on our local Riding Club grazing. That was herd turnout and there was no real control of what went on. There was a riggy gelding who could be nasty with people and damaged rugs trying to cover mares, also damaged mares who weren't rugged. Lots of complaints about him but nothing done. No stabling so if you wanted your horse to have hay or a feed you took them out of the field and stood with them for as long as it took. One horse broke its neck chasing a new youngster on the field, just wouldn't give up till he brought the youngster down and himself. My sister was so relieved when she finally got her own little field.
Another yard I knew off, a friend had been living in Germany and bought herself a warmblood while out there. Brought him back with her, first day out with the other horses he was kicked and his leg broken. So I have very mixed feelings about herd turnout if I haven't got control of it. Our current three all have very different needs so are kept singly but close to each other. The old brood mare did have my sister's pony mare in with her during the winter but I never saw any interaction between them whatsoever. The only time she seems interested in other horses in when she is in season. We regularly have horses down the lane beside our field and she ignores them.