What you’re opinion on quiet livery yard

Ish2020

Visit site
So I moved yards last week to a small quiet livery yard. I love it my horse is so well cared for and get a lot of turnout my horse gos at 9am and will come in at 5 pm. Which is making my horse a lot happier and calmer. My mother thinks the yard is to quiet ( I am saving for a car) so she goes with me for something to do. What you’re opinion on quiet livery yard.

Dyllymoo

Visit site
I was on a quiet yard for years and I liked it. The only thing was when you wanted someone to hack with but that was easily overcome. If you are happy and so is your horse then that's all that matters?

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
I LOVE a quiet yard.

The yard may also have times in the day when it is busier. It also depends on the yard and if it is just leisure riders, retired horses, etc.

This time of year when the horses are on the fields here, people don't worry about getting to the (full service) yard everyday. As the horses are handled and put out daily. So there's that too.

If your mother cannot be there and no one else is around, you can also do a text/call when you mount and dismount to check-in to let her know you're safe.

Tarragon

Visit site
"Calm" is a better word to use. A "Calm" yard can still be an active yard. A "Quiet" yards sounds like nothing much happens.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Some horses really thrive on a quiet yard with no hussle bustle, the last Arab I bought came from a busy yard to live at home with me and one other horse and his a completely different horse here, I am really good friends with his previous owner and she said he is so chilled here compared to her place.

asmp

Visit site
I think a lot of smaller yards are quiet at the moment due to the horses being out for the summer. Come winter and you’ll no doubt see more of the other liveries.

clairefeekerry1

Visit site
We are on a farm with a few other liveries. Loads of turnout compared to your average yard. Can go for days without seeing anyone but we have a little WhatsApp group to keep in touch. It’s lovely and quiet and the horses seem so settled

Abi90

Visit site
I love small quiet yards. My horse keenly dislikes big bustling livery yards and has had problems with ulcers when being on them. If you’re happy and the horse is happy then that’s all that matters

Flame_

Visit site
I'm on a little yard shared with one other person. I much prefer the social side of livery yards and having friends to ride with and go places with.

It's very good for the horses though. I suck up the fact that for me it's too quiet.

TheOldTrout

Completely Unknown Member
Visit site
I don't mind quiet yards but my mare doesn't like them. Because of the hours I work, I'm often at the yard on a weekday morning or midday when there's nobody else around and she's very often really lacklustre then, in fact at one point I was about to look up to see if horses can suffer from depression. She's a lot happier when there's more people around.

cindars

Visit site
Our yard has gone from a big yard to just me and one other girl known her for years our mares are half sisters and the owners Shetland. Perfect.

Griffin

Visit site
I like either but I am currently on a quiet yard. I have a busy job and it's just really nice to be somewhere peaceful afterwards!

However, my mum worries about me being at the yard on my own in the dark of winter (I am considerably older than you and I have my own house)! So, I always ring her on my way to the yard and give her a rough estimate of how long I will be, I then ring her on the way out. In many ways, it's a good idea because it means if anything happened, someone has a rough idea of where I am.

If your mum thinks it's to quiet in terms of boring, I would encourage her to either learn a bit of horse care (always useful) or perhaps she could go for a walk locally.

Mrs. Jingle

Visit site
Not quite the same thing but along the same lines - but here my fields and yard and home is a very, very quiet place. Bliss for us and my horses and donkeys are very content. However my now retired mare could sometimes be an interesting ride out and about when the mood was on her, generally spooking at daffodils fluttering in the breeze and mice farting in the hedgerows.

A friend came to visit and rode out with me and suggested my mare was so spooky and on her toes out hacking as she lived in a 'too quiet' place and therefore anything she encountered out on a hack frightened her lol! Considering she had spent a good part of her life in the suburbs of Dublin I doubt that was the case.

I didn't agree as any other horses I had previously or have since owned live in the same peace and quiet but never have shown an inclination to be overly nervous when out and about. Not sure really - but interesting to ponder if my friend did have a valid point at least with this particular horse..

OP if I was your mother - and you were often alone on a very quiet yard I am afraid I would be finding every excuse under the sun to accompany you - sorry but we Mums do tend to do that sort of thing even though it is often toe curlingly embarrassing for you:oops:

scats

Visit site
It’s heaven!
Only 5 of us on the yard, I have a barn to myself at the moment and I’m generally the only person who rides and everyone tends to leave before me in the evening. I’m happy on my own there in the dark, but it spooks some of the other girls walking to the muck heap coz it’s a bit of a walk and it follows the public footpath... plus there are no lights that way. Doesn’t bother me in the slightest but it wouldn’t be for everyone.

Flame_

Visit site
I've re-thought this while I was at the yard and out riding. I'm really quite fond of where I am now but it took a long time to adjust to. The main reason I'm happier at an isolated yard now is that my horse has matured and I'm now able to just box up and or ride out all on my own confident that it won't be a disaster requiring assistance. IME it's most difficult if you need support for safety or confidence but as long as you and your horse can opporate self-sufficiently there are a lot of plus points of a private yard against a big yard.