What you get for your money?

Chez

Visit site
Horse prices seem so varied at the moment that I was wondering what you would expect to get for your money (in terms of experience & competition) for a 5-9yr old, 15.2-16.3 at the following prices:

£3000
£4000
£5000
£6000

I know it varies considerably but roughly what level of competition would you expect for the above?

Many thanks

kirstie

Visit site
It depends on what type of competing you want to do, but I would be thinking to spend £3-4k on an allrounder to do unaffil/ riding club stuff, something nice to have fun on and improve. £5-6k Looking more towards low level afilliated dressage/ BSJA stuff, again with room to improve and bring on. Horse prices are quite high here though, be interested to see what other people think.

A friend recently bought a lovely 7yr old DWB mare for £8k. She is currently Nov BD, scoring mid 60's and improving each time out, would do BN BSJA with scope for more, lovely to hack, take to beach, sponsored rides etc and is stunning to look at and easy to do.

It really does depend on what you want to do, whether you want an allrounder or dressage horse etc. Hope that helps a bit.

Chez

Visit site
Very helpful thank you - I had in mind more BE/BSJA (only ever competing max BE100 / Newcomers - I'm not brave enough for any more than that!!) than BD.

kirstie

Visit site
I'm not that knowledgable when it comes to BE, but I'm thinking with the top end of your budget you could probably get something quite nice, that you could perhaps bring along a bit. Maybe more of a 5/6 yr old that doesn't have much experience but have a bit of scope.

Again, I'd be interested in what other people think, I'm based in south east, prices can be high. I do actually know of a mare that is within your price range and would do what you would want, PM me for details if interested.

thinlizzy

Visit site
I think it depends were you are in country who you buy off and you pay more for say if the dealer/seller/livery yard has a well known name i know a bottom end dealer who sold a shire xtb four yearold black with white face broken at three and hacked away for a year very quiet sold for 2k to a high end dealer who sold the horse two weeks later for 5k to a woman in scotland .People pay more if going to a selling/livery yard i find as well ,and tbh you still can take a chance !
Its quite hard i speak through experiance i wish you luck might be worth looking for a quiet tempered youngster and going down that route :)