Whats happening to him?

SomethingWrong

New User
Visit site
Its a long one...

My bay cob is just coming back into fitness and has always been a forward but safe ride with the slight cheeky side to him. Another man that rides him has been getting nervous as he says he is getting to cheeky and naughty to ride, yet i have been fine so far although haven't had him for long. We have recently got a new horse in the 'herd' which is replacing him as the dominant male which has caused a bit of tension.

Up until now he hasnt acted up as such, but flipped out the other day and turned himself inside out! I have changed him from a standard snaffle bridle to one with a martingale and flash which seems to have helped slightly.

He just seems to be getting worse and really worried about something ... Any ideas? much appreciated!!!
Thank you!!

rhino

Visit site
It could be any number of things, have you had his back/tack/teeth checked for instance?

It could also just be a bit of a 'phase'. My boy is seriously laid back when he's unfit or fully fit but always goes through a week or so of nonsense when I'm trying to get him fit, I always think he just gets a bit too big for his boots!

Bubbles

Visit site
I wonder if he's been enjoying putting the wind up the chap who also rides him, and now he's trying it on with you...? Fingers crossed it's just high jinks coupled with a cob sense of humour :D I'd knock any hard feed on the head in case that's making him silly

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
You say you've not had him long and he is being got fit?

It just sounds like a combination of winter and him getting fitter - both can cause this behaviour..

Don't worry about it. Keep riding him positively and not as though you're worried/expecting bad behaviour. The martingale and flash won't do any harm.

Tash88

Visit site
It sounds like he could be testing you, they generally do this after about six weeks and it is a phase that you just have to get through, I am going through this with my youngster at the moment! I think it could also be due to the new horse in the field, my last horse always used to be sharper than usual for a few days when a new gelding was introduced, I think because he was more interested in what was going on in the field than working. Like yours, he was quite dominant within the field. If your horse's position in the field is changing then he is going to be a bit stressed out about it; things should improve in a week or so I should think.

It doesn't sound like a back/teeth/tack issue to me as the change of tack has improved things, and it doesn't sound as if he is purposefully trying to throw you off. I just think he is being rather clever and trying his luck.

Good luck with him!

Magnetic Sparrow

Visit site
I had exactly the same problem with my lad when he was challenged for alpha male status in his group. From an occasionally cheeky but willing chap when ridden, he turned into a fully paid up member of the awkward squad, refusing to cooperate, planting and bucking. He also started stamping his foreleg in the way that horses do when they are trying to exhibit dominance behaviour when he was playing up with me.

He got his top dog status back and returned to his normal self.

SomethingWrong

New User
Visit site
Thanks for all the replies! I just tried ignoring his play ups and he seems to have gotten bored with it now! he seems to be settling down alot more now they have established their roles haha. Also taking him off his hard feed and just giving him extra hay has worked a dream, thanks!!! :)