Whats it called thing for reins

Visit site
There is an attachment that fits on to a bit that say you have a double bridle but instead of two reins you have one rein.
What is it called?
confused.gif

because I hate riding with double reins on my dutch 3 rings gag I always end up in knots and twisted reins
mad.gif

I hope you understand what I mean?
frown.gif

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Why are you just not riding with one rein if your using a dutch gag?

[/ QUOTE ]
Think it may be more correct to ride with two reins.

Zebedee

Visit site
Do you mean trainer reins? Like an elongated joiner so that two reins come of the bit for about 9 -12 ins & then join into one so that you only have one rein in your hand?

_jetset_

Visit site
Just read Amymay's post... I never knew it was more correct to ride in a dutch gag with two reins. See, you do learn things on here!

spaniel

Visit site
Along with the two reins there should be a leather curb strap as well. Much more common to see this bit used properly on the continent than here in the UK.

Visit site
Riding with one rein is a death wish on my cob in an open field It like driving a car with NO BRAKES or seatbelt.
frown.gif

Visit site
Yes it is easier with one rein but stopping his a hit and miss affair
frown.gif
wish some of you could have a go on him and see what I mean

Zebedee

Visit site
The thing is with trainer reins or roundings you lose the discrimination between reins and just end up using some of both instead of all of one or more of one than the other if you see what I mean.

Agreed Spaniel - correctly used a dutch gag has two reins & a 'curb' strap.
That's why in any list on here of most hated tack they are a major feature - most people who use them don't use them correctly or understand them.
However there will always be the occassional horse who goes better if the bit in question isn't used as per the book. I knew a horse who was quite happy & stoppable in a pelham with just the bottom rein attached -put joiners on or two reins - leant on it. Put a weymouth on & he just threw his head around constantly. No- one could ever fathom that one out!

Loupride

s25.photobucket.com
Just out of interest Spaniel - do you attach the curb to the top ring, not the snaffle the upper ring??

I use a dutch gag. I ride with two reins and have been known to use a leather strap on the upper rings. You would be amazed at the amount of dirty looks I used to get from people when I did this. One person came up so me and said " Oh Pride must be having a bad day, you really seem to have him bitted up " I replied well actually this is how the bit is supposed to be used!
Dont think they were impressed
tongue.gif